SFTV 2

Posted by: Lorna

SFTV 2 - 09/11/11 02:43 PM

I'm starting a new SF topic because I can't get the old one to load completely, and I wanted to say how exciting the season finale of Torchwood was! It was like watching a slam-bang adventure movie compressed into one hour. You see a lot of attempts at that on TV, but mostly they're just "Get ready, we're going to shock you now." Torchwood wrapped up the story line in an acceptably preposterous way and opened the door to the next one. Altogether very satisfying.
Posted by: Barbara

Re: SFTV 2 - 09/20/11 10:18 AM

Yes, that was a good slam-bam finale to a good story. They thought out the consequences of the "miracle" so carefully, and I'm just as happy they skipped over the consequences of the return to normalcy -- thousands of bodies that had to be buried or cremated immediately. Instead, the arc ended on a note of goodbye, which was fitting.
Posted by: Christopher

Re: SFTV 2 - 09/27/11 08:58 AM

Was anyone as underwhelmed by Terra Nova as I was?
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: SFTV 2 - 09/27/11 07:53 PM

Yeah, me. The dinos were cool, so of course these reverse pioneers had to shoot them. Except for the lush greenery, it could be another post-apocalypse story, factions fighting factions in a society lacking a firm infrastructure. There's nothing original in this show at all.

Re: SFTV 2 - 10/23/11 12:23 PM

Barbara, did you catch the new villain in Sanctuary?

Re: SFTV 2 - 10/24/11 10:22 AM

Indeed I did! Brian Markinson, wearing his insinuating/scary persona. The role is similar to the one he played in Da Vinci's Inquest, but less openly confrontational. Slyer.

Re: SFTV 2 - 12/06/11 06:05 PM

Eureka! It's back tonight, for its final episodes.

Re: SFTV 2 - 12/07/11 09:46 AM

And just as wacky as ever. I was wondering how they'd top last year's Christmas episode, but they did it! Loved every nonsensical moment.
Posted by: Rita

Re: SFTV 2 - 12/07/11 11:04 AM

I liked the ninja snowmen.

Re: SFTV 2 - 12/07/11 07:01 PM

Fargo as a bobble-head, Henry with a pull-string in his back, Jo trying to climb a mountain wearing glass slippers. (How the mountain got into the slippers, I'll never know.)

Re: SFTV 2 - 12/08/11 10:31 PM

And when things got really rough...they switched to anime, ha! Oh, I'm going to miss this show.

Re: SFTV 2 - 04/16/12 02:02 PM

Your last chance to watch it starts tonight...Eureka's FINAL season, unfortunately.

Re: SFTV 2 - 04/17/12 08:53 AM

Incredible. The show's on its last legs and it still comes up with a huge surprise...more like a shocker. A double whammy, in fact, one in the teaser and the other in the last scene. Incredible.

Re: SFTV 2 - 04/17/12 11:19 AM

And they did it without using humor -- no witty dialogue, no wacky situations. Just this intense, somber tone throughout. This close to the end, and they strike off in an entirely new direction. Yep, that's incredible all right. And wonderful.

Re: SFTV 2 - 04/17/12 04:05 PM

The Andys were scary, and that giant enforcer robot the Andys have looked uncomfortably like a Cylon. That episode was Allison's nightmare more than anyone else's, and I'm wondering if there are other virtual realities coming or whether they just continue with this one.

Re: SFTV 2 - 09/03/12 11:40 AM

Anyone watch the new Doctor Who? Weird episode, even for this series. Only six new episodes this time. The first five are more adventures in weirdness, but the last one is a farewell to the Ponds and the introduction of a new companion.
Posted by: David Dvorkin

Re: SFTV 2 - 09/03/12 03:24 PM

Austin: I watched it. Weird, indeed.

The actress who played the young woman trapped in the asylum will also be the Doctor's new companion. That's a bit odd, too.

Re: SFTV 2 - 09/03/12 07:57 PM

Oh, I didn't know that! And I'm blanking on the conclusion -- did the Doctor leave her there in her Dalek form?

Re: SFTV 2 - 09/03/12 08:13 PM

Huh, I don't remember that either! I'm wondering if we'll see River Song this time.
Posted by: Kay

Re: SFTV 2 - 09/03/12 08:34 PM

There's a new Dr. Who? I haven't seen it listed on any of my local stations....
Posted by: Kay

Re: SFTV 2 - 09/03/12 08:40 PM

Uh huh....apparently I'll have to pay extra for it..if I can get it at all.

Re: SFTV 2 - 09/04/12 03:14 PM

It's on BBC America, Kay.

This isn't the first time a future companion has been featured in one story arc while the current companion is still in residence, so to speak. It happened during Tom Baker's tenure, and I wish I could remember the companions' names!
Posted by: David Dvorkin

Re: SFTV 2 - 09/04/12 05:25 PM

Barbara, she enabled the Doctor and the Ponds to escape, and then she was presumably blown up when the Daleks destroyed the planet.

Re: SFTV 2 - 09/05/12 09:41 AM

Ah. Thanks, David. "Presumably" -- right. smirk

Re: SFTV 2 - 09/07/12 11:29 AM

Check out Google's Star Trek graphic, honoring the show's 46th anniversary. Forty-six years! Gawd.

Re: SFTV 2 - 09/09/12 11:29 AM

Doctor Who -- three guys riding a triceratops to escape from bad-mannered robots in a spaceship the size of Canada! I loved it!

Re: SFTV 2 - 09/09/12 02:13 PM

I did too! That was one wild episode. It looks like cowboys and aliens next week.