Show Biz Trivia 14

Posted by: Scribbler

Show Biz Trivia 14 - 10/03/09 10:14 AM

Mike posted (on 10-1-2009) --

Who is Keyser Sose?

(Continue play!)
Posted by: Barbara

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 10/13/09 05:48 PM

He's the baddest Bad Guy in The Usual Suspects, a name used to frighten children, revealed in the final scene to be...uh, everyone has seen this movie, right?

The character Keyser Sose was inspired by a real-life killer who disappeared for 17 years after killing his family. What was his name?
Posted by: Christopher

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 11/15/09 02:08 PM

That's the infamous John List, a failure who couldn't support his family and instead "sent them to heaven" to give himself a fresh start elsewhere.

Who is the only actor to play the US president four times?
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 11/29/09 03:35 PM

Got him...it's Martin Sheen, who has actually played the US President FIVE times:

Dead Zone
Family Attraction
Kennedy
Medusa's Child
West Wing

He's also played Robert Kennedy and John Dean.

New question: Who played the same role in a 20th-century Spanish-language movie and its 21st-century English-language remake?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 12/15/09 01:23 PM

FINALLY found it. Penelope Cruz played Sofia in both Abre los ojos and Vanilla Sky.

Uh, I forgot I needed a new question. Ah'll be back.
Posted by: Rita

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 01/04/10 05:48 PM

When?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 01/05/10 10:11 AM

Gack. I completely forgot about it. OK, here's one.

The first appearance of a laser beam in a movie came in what 1964 blockbuster?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 01/07/10 01:16 AM

Oh, that has to be Goldfinger.

Sean Connery was paid $250,000 for two days' work in what 1990s movie?
Posted by: Jon

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 01/08/10 07:38 PM

Would that be Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 01/09/10 12:01 AM

Yes, it would.

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 01/09/10 04:56 PM

Geraldine Chaplin, Tencho Gyalpo, and Chelsie Preston-Crayford have all achieved the same acting feat. What is it? and name the three films in which they respectively did it (or will do it -- one is yet unreleased).

(As a footnote, and to make it easier to search, Gloria DeHaven and Jetsun Pema achieved a similar feat, just half as big. Name that feat and those movies too.)

[This message has been edited by Jon (edited 01-09-2010).]

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 01/12/10 04:48 PM

If this was too obscure: the "feat" is personal to each actress, but involves the same relationship in each of the first 3 cases. (The latter 2 cases are similar to each other, but not the same as the first three.)

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 01/13/10 11:25 AM

OK, I've got it - the first three portrayed their own grandmothers and the other two only portrayed their own mothers:

Geraldine Chaplin in Chaplin
Tencho Gyalpo in Kundun
Chelsie Preston-Crayford in Home By Christmas

Gloria DeHaven in Three Little Words
Jetsun Pema in Seven Years in Tibet

I have to say that I've only ever heard of two of those ladies (Chaplin and DeHaven) and have seen none of those films, but Google and Wikipedia delivered the goods.

I'll have to think of something to ask.

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 01/14/10 06:38 AM

(Well, two of them are nonprofessionals -- relatives, in fact, of the Dalai Lama whose other relatives they portrayed. And CPC seems to be known mostly in Australia. But I hoped that the very fact of their few performances would help narrow things down quickly. And I thought the circumstance was a fun and unusual one.)

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 01/14/10 10:34 AM

Yes, I started with the most unusual names and proceeded from there.

What do Jean Marais, Ava Gardner and Shelley Winters have in common?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 02/09/10 07:01 PM

Perhaps I should have asked who they have in common.
Posted by: Kay

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 03/03/10 08:50 PM

All three had some kind of "romantic" involvement with Farley Granger.

Clark Gable is credited with causing a major revolution in the men's clothing industry...what was it and in what film did he do what caused it?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 03/04/10 01:38 AM

Oh, I remember that! Gable took off his shirt in It Happened One Night and -- gasp! -- he wasn't wearing an undershirt. Supposedly every man in America who saw the movie stopped wearing undershirts after that.

Good question, Kay. Unfortunately, I don't have a good one to follow it (or even a bad one). I'll sleep on it.

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 03/04/10 11:25 AM

Okay, I got one. In the late 70s, early 80s, supposedly only one writer in Hollywood had the clout to demand (and get) a contract clause guaranteeing that nothing in his script would be changed without his permission. But one director got around scenes he would have preferred to cut by having all the actors speak their lines simultaneously. The writer then used a pseudonym in the credits. Writer, movie, director.

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 04/20/10 09:25 AM

Paddy Chayefsky, Altered States, Ken Russell.

Here's one that is truly trivial. Whose picture was on the face of the wristwatch Tom Hanks wore in Angels & Demons?
Posted by: Lorna

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 04/26/10 06:38 AM

Mickey Mouse.

What writing assignment for Julius Caesar did Professor Rath give his class in The Blue Angel (the original)?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 04/27/10 09:05 AM

Ha, that was just on TMC. He told them to write what happens if Mark Antony does not deliver his funeral oration.

Umm, back later with a new question.

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 05/02/10 09:29 AM

What 1972 hit movie shows the towers of the World Trade Center under construction?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 05/09/10 04:35 PM

The Hot Rock

In Superman Returns, what aria is Lex Luthor listening to while he brushes his teeth?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 05/16/10 01:14 PM

The "Habanera" from Carmen.

What is the meaning of the movie title Syriana?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 05/26/10 10:03 AM

Syriana is a term used by Washington think-tanks to describe a hypothetical re-shaping of the Middle East.

What 2008 blockbuster has no opening credits or title?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 05/31/10 10:41 PM

The Dark Knight

What's the movie in which Kiefer Sutherland's voice is heard throughout but he doesn't appear on the screen until the last 3 minutes?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 06/01/10 05:34 AM

Phone Booth.

In which film, and to which actor, did the late Dennis Hopper say "You can't just go to your local video store and rent Easy Rider to be a rebel"?

[This message has been edited by Andrew (edited 06-01-2010).]

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 06/07/10 10:25 AM

Well, the movie is Flashback, and I'm going to guess the line was said to Kiefer Sutherland. The only reference I could find said it was spoken to "a bunch of wannabes". Andrew?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 06/11/10 11:15 AM

He's Glyndebourneing, isn't he?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 06/11/10 04:45 PM

Got back home today (after dropping Jon at Slough). (And we went to East Grinstead yesterday.)

I thought he said it to Kiefer Sutherland, but I might have misremembered, and I can't find confirmation (and don't have a DVD of Flashback). Sorry about that.

Lorna got all that there was to get, so she should go next.

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 06/11/10 05:44 PM

OK. Early in Up, when Mr. Fredericksen is slowly riding down in his stairway elevator chair, what aria is playing in the background?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 06/15/10 09:17 PM

Oh, sly one, Lorna. It was the "Habanera" from Carmen...again.

In Children of Men, what was Jasper's former profession?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 06/19/10 12:32 PM

Political cartoonist.

What is the only John Carpenter film to receive an Oscar nomination in any category?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 06/24/10 06:04 PM

That was Starman; Jeff Bridges received a best-actor nomination.

Who was the only member of the original cast of South Pacific to remain with the show for its entire Broadway run?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 06/28/10 01:54 PM

Myron McCormick as Luther Billis, but the movie role went to Ray Walston.

An easy 3-part Al & Bobby question. Name the movie in which...

1. they both played criminals.

2. they both played cops.

3. one played a criminal and one played a cop.

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 06/30/10 07:39 AM

1. Godfather II, both criminals
2. Righteous Kill, both cops
3. Heat, De Niro was the criminal and Pacino the cop

What is the only movie to win both an Academy Award (Best Actor) and a Razzie (Worst Supporting Actress)?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 07/02/10 11:25 AM

Wall Street, Michael Douglas for Best Actor and Darryl Hannah for Worst Supporting Actress.

What 1987 movie originally contained a scene (subsequently cut and never shown) showing a group of soldiers playing soccer not with a ball but with a human head?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 07/02/10 12:32 PM

Ugh!

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 07/03/10 05:32 PM

Eeuuww!

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 07/04/10 09:19 PM

It turned Stanley Kubrick's stomach as well, so he cut it from Full Metal Jacket.

What do George Clooney, Charlize Theron, Sylvester Stallone, Robert De Niro, Renee Zellweger, Vincent D'Onofrio, and Russell Crowe have in common?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 07/07/10 07:46 AM

Oh, I think I know what this is. I need to check a couple of names...

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 07/08/10 09:01 AM

This took me longer than I thought it would, but the one thing they have in common is that they all put on a lot of weight to play a specific role.

George Clooney, Syriana, 30 lb.
Charlize Theron, Monster, 30 lb.
Robert De Niro, Raging Bull, 60 lb.
Renee Zellweger, the Bridget Jones movies, 40 lb.
Sylvester Stallone, Cop Land, 40 lb.
Vincent D'Onofrio, Full Metal Jacket, 70 lb.
Russell Crowe, Body of Lies, 50 lb.

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 07/08/10 06:55 PM

That's impressive, Lorna! Now, how about a new question?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 07/08/10 11:08 PM

Duh.

In what 2001 movie is a servant present in every scene?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 07/09/10 03:22 PM

Gosford Park

Let's switch on the TV. In Medium, what is Alison DuBois's maiden name?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 07/11/10 11:08 AM

Benoit.

Same show...one of the three girls who play Allison and Joe's children is Russian by birth. Which one?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 07/16/10 04:12 PM

That sounds like a trick question, because the girl who plays the oldest daughter (Ariel) is named Sofia Vassilieva. But she was born in the US, the daughter of Russian immigrants.

But THIS ONE was born in Siberia:

Maria Lark, who plays Bridgett, the middle child. She was adopted by an American woman as an infant and brought back to the US.

Just to round things out, the youngest daughter, Marie, is played by twins, Miranda and Madison Carabello.

New question. One member of the Medium cast is a Juilliard graduate. Which one?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 07/18/10 09:43 PM

Jake Weber, one of those English actors who can sound more American than most Americans.

Back to movies for a moment. Genevieve Bujold and Holly Hunter both take off their panty hose in what two movies?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 07/19/10 10:33 AM

To be fair, Jake Weber seems to have lived in the US since his teens. I don't know what his "offstage" accent is like (when I saw him on Broadway, he was playing 5 Italian brothers in an Ayckbourn play).

May I ask for a clarification on the current question? The use of "both" suggests two movies in which both actresses appeared together. But they don't seem ever to have acted together. So, is it one movie for Hunter, and another for Bujold?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 07/19/10 02:08 PM

Right, two different movies, one for each, not together. Sorry that wasn't clear.

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 07/19/10 08:06 PM

The Bujold movie was Coma. She was climbing a ladder fixed in place to the air shafts in a hospital, trying to find the source of the high incidence of coma death the hospital was experiencing. The ladder was metal with round rungs and her feet kept slipping, so she kicked off her shoes. But her stockinged feet were just as slippery, so she dropped her pantyhose down to the bottom of the ladder with her shoes. Then she crawled through the air shafts for a while and eventually removed a screen that let her back into the populated part of the hospital. The sequence ended with her running through the halls...with shoes on her feet. She must have carried a spare pair, for emergencies.

I don't know the Holly Hunter movie.

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 07/20/10 04:13 PM

I do! Broadcast News, and it was just on TCM. She'd just had a fruitless talk with dumbbunny William Hurt (to whom she was attracted), trying to impress on him that he really needed to be smarter. He left, she ripped off her shoes and pantyhose in frustration, and sank down into a chair. End of scene.

Barbara, since you answered first, why don't you ask the next question?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 07/20/10 07:03 PM

Oh, I wouldn't dream of depriving you of the pleasure, Lorna. It's all yours.

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 07/20/10 10:46 PM

Nice try, Lorna.

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 07/21/10 09:33 AM

Oh, well.

What writer started a 1975 screenplay based on his own novella but ran into a case of writer's block so severe that the script had to be finished by the producer and the director?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 08/12/10 03:10 PM

Harlan Ellison, A Boy and His Dog, and I bet I know what scene caused the writer's block.

In what movie does unlikely strong-man Charles Laughton carry a woman up a flight of stairs?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 08/13/10 03:12 PM

Ha, that was just on TCM. The Barretts of Wimpole Street, and the woman was Norma Shearer.

What was the music that accompanied the little league team in The Bad News Bears in their pursuit of the championship?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 08/14/10 12:20 PM

What else? The "Habanera" from Carmen.

The Wizard himself, Frank Morgan, died while filming a new movie and his scenes had to be re-shot with a different actor. What's the movie and who replaced him?
Posted by: Pete

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 08/14/10 01:18 PM

Annie Get Your Gun. Louis Calhern replaced him as Buffalo Bill Cody.

Who first played this character on the screen?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 08/17/10 02:12 PM

None other than Buffalo Bill himself, William F. Cody (The Adventures of Buffalo Bill, 1917).

In what movie does Michael Caine make his first appearance as ashes in an urn?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 08/18/10 07:25 PM

Oh, I'm so glad someone else knows this film! It's Last Orders, a sadly wistful movie, full of regrets. Bob Hoskins, Tom Courtenay, and David Hemmings play Caine's friends; Helen Mirren, his widow; and Ray Winstone, his son.

Speaking of Bob Hoskins, what role has he, Ernest Borgnine, Pat Hingle, Ned Beatty, Jack Warden, Billy Crudup, and about a dozen others all played?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 08/19/10 04:58 PM

J. Edgar Hoover.

I never heard of Last Orders, but what a cast!

Two actors:

They played the same character, one on TV and the other in a movie. What's the character's name?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 08/20/10 01:13 PM

That's Zefram Cochrane, inventor of the warp drive. He first appeared in a TOS episode called "Metamorphosis" and was played by Glenn Corbett. He later appeared in Star Trek: First Contact, played by James Cromwell.

For a 1960 movie, what director bought up all the copies he could of the novel the movie is based on, to keep the ending a secret from as many people as possible?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 08/22/10 04:08 PM

Austin, did you have to look up the answer to that? I bet not.

The book-buying director was Alfred Hitchcock, and the book was Robert Bloch's Psycho.

What new movie, currently scheduled for release in December, is a Shakespeare play with the leading male role re-written for a woman?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 08/29/10 12:59 AM

The Tempest, with Helen Mirren as Prospera.

What character actress played Jimmy Stewart's mother five times?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 08/29/10 09:16 AM

Was it Beulah Bondi? I can find four instances where her character's surname was the same as Stewart's character, at least.

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 08/29/10 01:05 PM

Yes, Beulah Bondi. The fifth instance was in an episode of The Jimmy Stewart Show.

You're up, Pete.

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 09/01/10 11:55 AM

Whose name was frequently concatenated with "Corn" because of the sentimentality of his movies?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 09/04/10 02:35 PM

Huh, I missed seeing this. It has to be Frank L. Capra.

Back shortly with a new question...

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 09/09/10 09:55 AM

What role has been played by Jude Law, James Mason, Robert Duvall, Jenny O'Hara, John Mills, Donald O'Connor, Martyn Green, Joanne Woodward, Melville Cooper, and quite a few others?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 10/19/10 12:20 PM

Dr. Watson.

Walter Pidgeon usually played a stand-up guy, but in one movie he dumps his lady friend to marry a rich woman. Movie and the two ladies.

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 11/19/10 07:32 AM

The movie was Man-Proof. Myrna Loy was the dumpee and Rosalind Russell was the rich lady.

How did Hitchcock manage to make his customary appearance in Lifeboat, in which almost all the action took place in a small open boat?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 12/03/10 06:58 AM

His picture was in a newspaper Tallulah Bankhead was reading. Two pictures, actually...the before and after in an ad for a weight-loss product.

What do James Gandolfini, James Woods, Al Pacino, William Hurt, and Bob Hope have in common?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 12/03/10 12:31 PM

Bob Hope??

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 12/03/10 07:09 PM

Bob Hope. In fact, he would be a good place to start.

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 12/19/10 11:19 AM

Got it! They all played mayors of New York -- two real, three fictional.
Gandolfini -- The Taking of Pelham 123 (remake)
Woods -- Rudy: The Rudy Giuliani Story
Pacino -- City Hall
Hurt -- Noise
Hope -- Beau James (Jimmy Walker)
And Bob Hope was the right place to start.

New one. In what movie is Brendan Gleeson's character killed by a pack of trained "warrior" dogs?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 01/03/11 06:33 PM

Perrier's Bounty.

How does Little Junior kill the ninth Doctor in the only film they made together?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 01/07/11 05:34 PM

Tricky! Little Junior is Nicolas Cage in the Kiss of Death remake, and the ninth Doctor (Who) is Christopher Eccleston. Their only movie together is Gone in 60 Seconds, in which Cage's character killed Eccleston's by pushing him off a catwalk.

Charles Townsend, owner of the detective agency in Charlie's Angels, was not the first TV series regular whose face was never shown. An earlier series featured a woman at an answering service who passed on the hero's calls to him but whose face was never seen. Her legs were, though. Whose legs and what series?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 01/21/11 04:25 PM

Mary Tyler Moore, Richard Diamond.

What actor in The King's Speech had earlier played a ruler with speech problems?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 01/24/11 06:30 PM

Derek Jacobi, I, Claudius.

Complete the sentence: Geoffrey Rush and Laurence Olivier are the only two actors ever to _________________.

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 02/06/11 02:58 PM

...be knighted in both England and Denmark.

Name the movie in which Liam Neeson speaks only one word.

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 02/08/11 01:09 PM

That was in a silly movie called Suspect. Neeson played a deaf-mute who managed to croak out the word "No!" when asked in court if he had committed murder.

A novel by L. Frank Baum provided the title of a Bruce Willis movie. What novel and what movie?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 03/07/11 04:04 PM

12 Monkeys, from The Magic of Oz, where 12 monkeys are changed into giant human soldiers and then back into monkeys again.

What role have all of the following played: Peter O'Toole, Vincent Price, Heath Ledger, Marcello Mastroianni, Richard Chamberlain, Donald Sutherland, and Tony Curtis.

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 03/07/11 05:46 PM

Tony Curtis???

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 03/08/11 07:16 PM

Good place to start.

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 03/08/11 10:57 PM

Casanova, along with a few other actors.

What role was played by these guys:

Thomas Mitchell, James Mason, Herbert Lom, Robert Ryan, Omar Sherif, Jose Ferrar, Michael Caine, and Patrick Stewart

They were not clowning around...

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 03/30/11 07:29 AM

Captain Nemo.

What role was played by these guys: F. Murray Abraham, Robert DeNiro, William Devane, Ben Gazzara, Jason Robards, Eric Roberts, and Rod Steiger?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 03/30/11 04:07 PM

Al Capone.

And what do these guys have in common, role wise:

Alec Guinness,Rex Harrison, Bob Hoskins, Burt Lancaster, Peter O'Toole, Ringo Starr, and Jon Voight, among others.

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 04/26/11 05:24 PM

They all played popes.

A web site has opened to collect money to send a certain writer/director back to film school. Who?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 04/26/11 06:58 PM

WHAAAAAATTT????

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 04/27/11 08:43 AM

It's true. Some movie fans just finally got fed up.

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 05/06/11 01:16 PM

Got him! It's M. Night Shyamalan, and the web site is http://www.mnightschool.org/ . I just made a small donation.

New question. What was the first movie sequel to win a best picture Oscar?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 05/13/11 08:03 AM

How small a donation?

Trivia answer: Godfather II.

Between his career as a child actor and his career as an adult actor, what actor played minor league baseball?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 05/13/11 11:22 AM

$9.17. Ten dollars would have been ostentatious.

The ball-playing actor is Kurt Russell.

What role did Jane Alexander play on Broadway that Jill Clayburgh played in the movie version?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 05/19/11 01:10 PM

Ruth Loomis, the first female Supreme Court Justice, in First Monday in October.

What 1932 Broadway musical had the letter "e" added to its title for the movie version?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 05/19/11 04:43 PM

Gay Divorce by Cole Porter. It had a "The" added at the start of the movie title, too! (And an acute accent in there as well, if we're going to get fussy.) Otherwise known to the production code as "There's nothing funny about divorce, but if it's already happened, no harm in having a good time."

Staying on the subject of this same musical, a 3-parter:

(1) The stage show and the movie both have full musical scores, with only one song in common. What is its title?

(2) Which song from the movie won an Academy Award?

(3) What special place in Oscar history does that award have?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 05/20/11 06:28 PM

(1) The stage show and the movie both have full musical scores, with only one song in common. What is its title?

That's "Night and Day"...just as haunting now as it was in 1932.

((2) Which song from the movie won an Academy Award?

"The Continental"

((3) What special place in Oscar history does that award have?

It was the first to win the Best Original Song Award, given for the first time in 1934.

New question. "The Continental" lasts 17 and a half minutes, which held the record for 17 years for the longest musical number in a movie, until it was supplanted by another number that ran one minute longer. What number in what movie?

[This message has been edited by Christopher (edited 05-21-2011).]

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 05/21/11 07:08 AM

Well, there's always "Ab Tumhare Hawale Watan Saathiyon" in a Bollywood movie of the same name, at 20 minutes, but I'm sure that's not the answer you want.

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 05/21/11 06:50 PM

Ha, maybe that would have been a good question about the current longest number. But it doesn't fit the question asked (duration, date).

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 07/25/11 06:58 PM

Musical number that lasted one minute longer than "The Continental"...the ballet at the end of An American in Paris.

A current commercial shows a giant mouse attacking a man for the Doritos he's eating while an operatic aria plays in the background. What aria?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 07/25/11 07:23 PM

It's Carmen, the Habanera...

A long time ago, an "operatic" commercial showed a man lamenting an empty cereal box and becoming even more musically lachrymose when his mother-in-law shows up with a box full.

What cereal and what aria?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 07/26/11 08:47 AM

Rice Crispies -- "Vesti la Giubba".

All knowledge is contained on Youtube.

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 07/26/11 08:52 AM

Er, I guess I should ask the next question.

Who played Chopin's music in A Song to Remember for Cornell Wilde?

[This message has been edited by Pete (edited 07-26-2011).]

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 07/26/11 06:44 PM

Jose Iturbi.

In what movie did Iturbi play not only piano but a romatic lead?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 07/27/11 10:36 AM

Three Daring Daughters, in which Iturbi played himself under his own name while all the other characters were fictional.

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 07/29/11 04:34 PM

And your trivia question is? For a minute there I thought this was Ping Pong and I almost threw in another cast member...

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 07/29/11 11:23 PM

Oops, I forgot about that little thing. Okay, what role has been played by Stanley Baker, Colin Clive, Timothy Dalton, Charlton Heston, William Hurt, Kevin McCarthy, and about a dozen others?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 07/31/11 07:20 PM

And Orson Welles and maybe a couple of others: Edward Rochester.

And, speaking of Rochester, what professional did Eddie Anderson follow after his stint with Jack Benny?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 08/04/11 09:19 AM

Eddie Anderson took up training race horses.

Who took over a role in the worst sci-fi pic ever made when Bela Lugosi died?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 08/26/11 08:00 PM

Tom Mason, Ed Woods's wife's chiropractor, in Plan 9 from Outer Space. Mason played the role with his cape covering the lower half of his face.

In I Wake Up Screaming, Victor Mature plays a character named Frankie Christopher. But in one scene he tells Betty Grable that's not his real name. He changed it because his real name was too hard to spell. What was his real name?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 08/28/11 09:42 PM

Ha! It's Botticelli.

In what movie is Vincent D'Onofrio's character murdered in the very first scene?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 10/05/11 11:01 AM

Just saw that...Brooklyn's Finest.

The movie title RED is an acronym for what?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 10/18/11 10:55 AM

Retired, Extremely Dangerous.

What do these actors have in common: Donald Sutherland, Jennifer Tilley, Margot Kidder, Jeremy Irons, Nicolas Cage, Olivia de Havilland, Bette Davis, Boris Karloff, and James Spader?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 10/30/11 08:34 PM

Has this been languishing all this time? They have all played twins...

and in the same vain, what future coffee spokesperson appeared as a pair of bewitching sisters?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 11/08/11 07:32 PM

Do you mean Margaret Hamilton? She doesn't quite fit the question, so I'll wait until I hear back.

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 11/09/11 09:33 AM

Yep...she played both wicked witches...and hawked Maxwell House many years later:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYaNqtQMlXY

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 11/10/11 08:56 PM

Barbara?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 11/10/11 11:35 PM

Okay, I forgot I was in the movie topic. The witches were sisters in the movie, but not in the book.

What movie featured three actors who had all played Elizabeth I?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 11/16/11 09:04 PM

It's easy to find Blanchett and Dench....but the third one is a puzzler...

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 11/17/11 03:54 PM

And the movie is...?
Posted by: Andrew

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 11/17/11 06:05 PM

Well, it's "Notes on a Scandal", and the missing QE1 is Anne-Marie Duff (of the original and best "Shameless"), who appears at the very end of the film.

I'm just back from a trip to see Janacek's "Katya Kabanova", and will have to have a think about some new trivia.
Posted by: Andrew

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 11/20/11 10:03 AM

Which film has a title consisting of five different letters (and a few full-stops) which represent the first-name initials, in descending order of age, of five brothers?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 11/30/11 12:53 AM

C.R.A.Z.Y.

Who are the only two brothers ever to receive Oscar nominations for Best Supporting Actor?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 12/12/11 02:24 PM

River Phoenix (Running on Empty) and Joaquin Phoenix (Gladiator).

What Edward G. Robinson movie has a dog's name as its title?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 12/18/11 08:30 AM

Dark Hazard, a racing dog.

Name three movies in which George C. Scott played a doctor.

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 12/18/11 03:53 PM

Petulia is one.

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 12/19/11 09:36 AM

I've been trying to italizize the three titles, and it can't be done.

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 12/19/11 10:42 AM

If you click on Reply instead of using the Quick Reply window, it can be done.

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 12/20/11 11:37 AM

George C. Scott played a doctor (presumably of medicine) in Malice, The Hanging Tree, and The Hospital.

He also played a character called "Doctor" (some kind of researcher, I believe) in what motion picture?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 12/20/11 09:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Pete
George C. Scott played a doctor (presumably of medicine) in Malice, The Hanging Tree, and The Hospital.

The Hanging Tree is a stretch. He played a faith healer in that one. Barbara's right...Petulia is the other one.

Originally Posted By: Pete
He also played a character called "Doctor" (some kind of researcher, I believe) in what motion picture?

That must be The Day of the Dolphin, with its heartbreaking ending.

The name of what media award was derived from the slang term for the 1945 "image orthicon tube"?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 12/29/11 10:19 AM

The Emmy.

What was the first movie in color to win the Best Picture Oscar?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 01/15/12 01:41 PM

Gone with the Wind .

In Full Metal Jacket, what did "Private Pyle" name his rifle?
Posted by: Mike

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 01/15/12 05:51 PM

Charlene

Whats the name of the boxing robot in a 2011 movie?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 02/01/12 10:49 PM

Atom, in Real Steel.

What role has been played by Pierce Brosnan, Michael York, Peter O'Toole, Stanley Baker, and Dan O'Herlihy?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 03/18/12 04:23 PM

Robinson Crusoe.

What is the only movie to receive three Oscar nominations for Best Supporting Actress?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 04/28/12 07:31 PM

Tom Jones, for Diane Cilento, Edith Evans, and Joyce Redman. Margaret Rutherford won for The V.I.P.s.

Who are the only brothers to be nominated for the Best Supporting Actor Oscar?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 04/29/12 11:25 AM

River Phoenix (Running On Empty) and Joaquin Phoenix (Gladiator).

Any sibling winners of Academy Awards?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 04/29/12 02:26 PM

Olivia de Havilland (The Heiress, To Each His Own)and Joan Fontaine (Suspicion).

Who was nominated for the Best Actress award six times but never won?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 04/30/12 09:02 AM

Deborah Kerr.

Who was nominated for Best Supporting Actress six times but never won?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 06/16/12 12:50 PM

Thelma Ritter

A pregnant Hollywood star caught German measles from a fan and gave birth to a brain-damaged child. That tragic event was made the backstory in a well-known novel and movie. Who was the star and what is the movie?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 06/16/12 09:53 PM

Gene Tierney is the actress....the story was the basis for "The Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side" by Agatha Christie. I believe the movie was just called "The Mirror Crack'd"

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 06/16/12 10:02 PM

Forgot to ask my question...

What actress held several diplomatic posts, including chief of protocol for the state department?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 06/17/12 03:35 PM

Hmm, Kay, it's probably only a matter of wording, but the State Department doesn't have its own Chief of Protocol. The Office of Protocol is a division of the State Department and is headed by the US Chief of Protocol. If that's who you mean, the answer is Shirley Temple Black.

What professional wrestler turned actor and then politician and ended up a state governor?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 07/14/12 07:45 PM

Jesse Ventura, former governor of Minnesota.

Name TWO celebrities who successfully ran for mayor after being frustrated in their attempts to open restaurants.

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 07/15/12 12:50 PM

Clint Eastwood is one, but I don't know any other.

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 07/25/12 09:11 PM

Sonny Bono (Palm Springs).

Who was a cheerleader for the San Francisco 49ers before entering showbiz?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 07/26/12 07:30 PM

Teri Hatcher.

And here's an easy one...what role has been played by, among others, Eartha Kitt, Julie Newmar and Michelle Pfeiffer...

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 07/29/12 10:53 AM

Catwoman

What role has been played by F. Murray Abraham, Robert De Niro, Eric Roberts, Ben Gazzara, Jason Robards, Rod Steiger, and Neville Brand?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 07/29/12 09:01 PM

Al Capone.

What Olympic medalist (possibly better known for movie roles) was captured by Cuban rebels while playing in a celebrity golf tournament?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 07/31/12 04:58 PM

Johnny Weismuller.

What Olympic gold medalist starred in a movie about his own life?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 08/10/12 05:50 PM

Bob Mathias.

In which of his movies did Alfred Hitchcock make his appearance seated and holding a baby on his knee?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 08/26/12 07:41 AM

Torn Curtain (1966).

What music accompanied the scene?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 08/27/12 07:14 PM

The Emperor Waltz

Before their names became well known, Jack Black, Felicity Huffman, Seth Green, Lucy Liu, and Shia LaBeouf each appeared in an episode of what TV series?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 08/27/12 07:24 PM

Bzzzzzt!

I fear The Emperor Waltz isn't correct. Try something by a French composer.

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 09/05/12 09:38 AM

Pete, the IMDB says this:

"In the shot in which Alfred Hitchcock's cameo occurs, the music briefly changes to "Funeral March of a Marionette" by Charles Gounod, which is best known as the main theme for Alfred Hitchcock Presents."

That well-known dum-de-duh-duh-de-dum-de-duh was just inserted into the background music, which was a Strauss waltz. Lorna's answer is correct.

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 09/05/12 08:12 PM

Well, we've got them both now. Lorna, you're up.

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 09/05/12 10:17 PM

OK. Before their names became well known, Jack Black, Felicity Huffman, Seth Green, Lucy Liu, and Shia LaBeouf appeared in one episode each of what TV series?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 09/09/12 02:18 PM

The X-Files

What role has been played by Charlton Heston, Peter Vaughan, Wallace Beery, Vic Tayback, Orson Welles, Tim Curry, Jack Palance, and many others (including one so closely identified with the role that I left him out)?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 09/10/12 01:41 PM

Long John Silver. The omitted actor also portrayed a famous real life pirate whose museum I visited recently in North Carolina...What was his real name and the one by which he is best known, and what did he call his ship?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 09/10/12 04:16 PM

Blackbeard, Edward Teach, Queen Anne's Revenge.

Later this month a new TV series called Elementary will make its debut. It's Sherlock Holmes in modern times, and Dr. Watson is played by Lucy Liu. She is not, however, the first woman to play that role. Who was? And name the movie.

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 09/11/12 05:39 PM

Oh, good, one I don't have to look up! It was Joanne Woodward in They Might Be Giants, with George C. Scott.

What 1980s TV series started every episode with a roll call?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 11/06/12 06:14 PM

Hill Street Blues

What is the Slice of Life?

Re: Show Biz Trivia 14 - 12/18/12 11:46 AM

It's Dexter's boat.

The cast of The Great Escape had one actor who was a genuine WWII PoW who was imprisoned over a year in a Stalag. Who was he?