Current Movies (2011)

Posted by: Barbara

Current Movies (2011) - 01/01/11 02:56 PM

How better to start off the new year than with The King's Speech? If you haven't seen it, you can believe all those rave reviews. Colin Firth has matured beautifully, and...oh, I don't want to be a spoiler. Has anyone else seen it?
Posted by: Kay

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 01/01/11 08:43 PM

It just got to Roanoke and is playing at what passes for an "art" house here...unfortunately "art" house means it is the oldest theater in town with uncomfortable seats, less that great sound, etc...at this point I am thinking "wait for the DVD"...That is of course the same theater where they are showing "Black Swan" and, oddly enough, "True Grit" which should certainly do well at one of the megaplexes.
Posted by: Jon

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 01/01/11 09:38 PM

I'm hoping to get to it tomorrow.

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 01/04/11 03:59 PM

And I did see it on Sunday. Colin Firth has indeed matured nicely, though it's unavoidable to notice (though I refused to let it bother me at all) that he looks (and is) older than Guy Pearce who plays his older brother (and is cast at about the right age).

Many other treats for those of us who like to recognize British actors, from "Oh, Anthony Andrews whom I haven't seen in years... he's held up well, hasn't he?" to "Ha! a reunion scene for Firth and Jennifer Ehle!" Also very nice to see Helena Bonham Carter, after so many eccentric zanies, play a subdued "normal" person so beautifully.

The whole situation around which the movie is based was totally unknown to me before, so that's a good thing too.
Posted by: Christopher

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 01/05/11 08:24 AM

My wife says the movie is a convention for British actors wishing to do penance for all those made-for-the-colonies costume dramas of the past 20 years. I didn't even recognize Claire Bloom until the last shot of her in the movie, when that tell-tale lift of the corner her mouth made me go "Oh, duh." I'd vaguely known Geo VI had had a speech impediment of some kind, but I had no idea of the extent of it or how much anguish it caused the man.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 01/05/11 07:04 PM

Your wife may be right, Chris. We dragged our kids to see it ("Aw, Dad, a movie about a guy who stammers?"). The younger boy got restless before it ended but the older one really got into it. What a great performance by Colin Firth. He did more than just stammer, he had difficulty forming certain sounds. I believed it, every bit of it. I thought that more noticeable than the age difference between Firth and Guy Pearce was the fact that Firth doesn't have that long horsey Windsor face (Pearce does). But that's a minor matter. It's a grand movie.

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 01/06/11 01:18 AM

One thing of interest to me is how clearly the movie reflected the change in attitude that's taken place toward the Duke and Duchess of Windsor. I was very young when "it" happened, but I remember hearing Edward's abdication speech on the radio. For years afterward his giving up a kingdom for the love of a woman was viewed (by many Americans, at least) as the ultimate romantic gesture.

But that changed. Now we tend to view Wallis Simpson not as the reason for Edward's abdication but the excuse for it. He wanted the perks of kingship unencumbered by the duties and responsibilities that go with the job. I've read that they were shocked when they learned they were to be exiled. They honestly thought they could go on living the regal life while someone else did all the work. The movie certainly showed no sympathy for Edward. The scene in which he broke down and cried on the Queen Mum's shoulder -- that was the behavior of a self-indulgent boy. Actually, he did the country a favor by quitting; give him credit for that.
Posted by: Rita

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 01/07/11 10:14 AM

I saw it last night and loved it. But I was a little dismayed to see how old Geoffrey Rush has grown. He's one of those actors I want to see go on forever. He was certainly spry enough in this movie.

This morning someone told me Colin Firth was a shoo-in for an Oscar for three reasons. One, to compensate for him being passed over for A Single Man last year. Two, it's just been announced that he's getting his star in the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Three, The King's Speech went into wide release so late in the year that his performance will be fresh in the minds of the voters. The omens are good.

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 01/07/11 03:15 PM

Like Barbara I remember "the speech" and all the jokes I didn't really understand at the time about Mrs. Simpson. It was years later that I found out that she was a convenient excuse for Neville Chamberlain to get rid of a meddlesome sovereign....haven't seen the movie so I don't know if that aspect is mentioned.

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 01/07/11 04:26 PM

Meddlesome? Hm.

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 01/09/11 05:10 PM

Everything everybody else has said about "Speech"...I didn't much care for the casting of Churchill but he didn't have much to do (and I am not sure anybody can play Winnie without being a caricature)...David and Wallis did come off badly, didn't they?

But how many Oscar nominations will this one movie get? Bonham Carter's Duchess and future Queen was spot on.

Editing to add that I just realized what bothered me about Churchill...the actor also plays Peter Pettigrew in the Potter films!

[This message has been edited by Kay (edited 01-09-2011).]

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 01/09/11 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kay:
...and I am not sure anybody can play Winnie without being a caricature...
Brendan Gleeson can, and did, in Into the Storm. He won an Emmy and a couple of other awards for that performance.

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 01/10/11 02:29 PM

And the guy who played Hitler in the newsreel toward the end....REALLY REALLY bad... Chaplin was better.
Posted by: Lorna

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 01/10/11 08:43 PM

Eugene Lehman's Lives of English Monarchs says that Wallis Simpson didn't want "David" to abdicate. The reason given was that she'd gotten all out of him that she thought she could get and was ready to move on. If that's true, the abdication put her on the spot. She could either be the woman who deserted a man who'd given up his throne for her (and how welcome would she be in royal circles after that?). Or she could marry the geek and live out her life on an allowance from the new king's pocket. Some choice. But a rather fitting punishment, some might say.

[This message has been edited by Lorna (edited 01-10-2011).]

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 01/17/11 07:55 PM

In case anyone's interested, Colin Firth won a Golden Globe last night. But that's the only award The King's Speech received. The Social Network and its director, David Fincher, won. Natalie Portman won for Black Swan.

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 02/12/11 11:13 AM

I went to see Sanctum yesterday, spelunking on a grand scale. The visuals were terrific, most of them; the 3D did a good job of catching the enormousness of the caverns. But even though the story is based on a true event, the script is just one cliché after another. Tiresome and predictable. And it's ironic that a movie built on visual clarity should resort to swooping cameras and quick cuts whenever it became difficult to show the characters' orientation to one another and to the cave's passages they were going through.

I'd say skip this one.

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 02/12/11 03:42 PM

Too late; we went last night. The cave was great, but the movie wasn't. Sanctum is released ONLY in 3D. Without those 3D effects, there's nothing much worth looking at. So maybe that's a clue to go by: If it's only in 3D, stay away.

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 02/12/11 04:44 PM

That sounds like a good clue to me.
Posted by: David Dvorkin

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 02/12/11 08:42 PM

I just saw The Eagle and thought it gripping from beginning to end.

Online commenters have been complaining about the Romans having American accents. We all know that the Romans must have upper-class English accents. Upper-class Romans, anyway.

That aspect certainly didn't bother me, and I found the grimy, gritty, dangerous imperial frontier setting completely believable.

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 04/07/11 09:54 PM

Is everyone aware of the Black Swan controversy? Natalie Portman's head was digitally imposed upon the body of an American Ballet Theatre soloist named Sarah Lane. No wonder she danced so well. The producers are saying Lane was used only a little, and Lane is saying 95% of the full body dance shots were of her.

[This message has been edited by Lorna (edited 04-08-2011).]

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 04/08/11 08:19 AM

Wow, I hadn't heard that. Tarnishes that Oscar a bit, wouldn't you say?

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 04/08/11 12:34 PM

Uh-oh. What does Portman say about it?

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 05/24/11 05:41 PM

Speaking of the aforementioned nondancing dancer, I went to see Thor -- because I wanted to find out why Kenneth Branagh was directing a comic book movie. Well, the answer seems to be "For the money." It's not a bad movie; it's just not the treat for the eye I've come to expect in fantasy movies. There are a few stunning visuals, but they're high spots, not part of a consistent design. The buildings in Asgard, for instance, made me think of the façades of art deco movie houses. Most of the fight sequences were filmed with swooping cameras that keep you from seeing what's really happening. The acting is good, with the exception of an unconvincing Natalie Portman (!). I was especially taken with Stellan Skarsgård, in the sort of role Denholm Elliot was playing toward the end of his life. Thor is entertaining; it's just nothing to write home about.

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 06/25/11 06:26 PM

Just saw Midnight in Paris...Not Allen's best by a long shot. Not up to Purple Rose to which it has been compared, but the 1920s sequences are fun. The rest of the movie is only a hook to hang those on, I guess, but it didn't do much for me.

[This message has been edited by Kay (edited 06-25-2011).]

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 07/17/11 11:39 AM

Speaking of Margaret Thatcher (as I was in Botticelli), did you know there's already Oscar buzz about Meryl Streep's performance in a movie that won't even be released for another five months? The Iron Lady will hit the screens in December, and Streep even looks like Thatcher in the same way Helen Mirren resembled Queen Elizabeth.

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 07/17/11 02:49 PM

And Helen Bonham Carter resembles the late Queen Mother (unlike Colin Clive, who looks about as much like George VI as I do)...

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 07/17/11 07:23 PM

You mean Colin Firth. Colin Clive was the guy who said, "He's alive! He's alive!"

Kay, please check the Ping Pong topic.

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 07/17/11 08:55 PM

All :s look alike to me.

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 08/05/11 06:12 PM

I can't NOT mention it any longer. Didn't anyone go see Cowboys and Aliens? It's a real kick, right from the Clint Eastwood opening (think The Man with No Name) right through to the end. It's a summer movie, so it has to have explosions and impressive F/X. But the dialogue and the action are clever and engaging. It's the only summer movie I've wanted to see, and it's a goodie.

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 08/05/11 07:28 PM

Going this weekend.

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 08/06/11 12:40 PM

I enjoyed every minute. The movie is based on a comic book and lists seven additional writers; I imagine these guys made up lists of their favorite western and SF clichés and then played them absolutely straight...and made them work! One quickie example. There's one man who doesn't know how to shoot a gun but is trying to learn. So we get two brief scenes showing him shooting at bottles on a log and missing every time. Now, everyone who's ever seen a movie knows that's a set-up. At some crucial moment, he's going to fire the perfect shot that will make a big difference in whatever's happening at the time. We not only know it's coming, we want it to come. And when it does -- oh, how satisfying! It's an Ah, yes! moment. The movie is filled with just such moments.

No more just now; I don't want to give anything else away.

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 08/06/11 03:11 PM

Yes, that's exactly what it is...all these familiar twists and situations done without condescension or tongue-in-cheek. Like meeting a lot of old friends all at once in the same place. I loved it.

Chris, hurry up, willya?

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 08/08/11 09:38 PM

Loved it, absolutely loved it! They even got a little James Bond in there, too. Remember how the early Bond movies (Connery, Moore) built up to the discovery of some vast underground facility where rockets were ready to be launched, or the world's water supply was going to be poisoned, or some such high falutin' plan always aimed at...gasp!...world domination. The buried part of the spaceship duplicated that very nicely. And the hero almost doesn't get out in time...ha! Loved that. A very enjoyable two hours.

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 08/12/11 05:12 PM

And after the James Bond finale, there's a spaghetti western coda, to balance the Clint Eastwood opening, and the hero rides off into the sunset. I loved the alien abduction sequences. They start off the way they always do (Close Encounters, X-Files, etc.): a great rumbling noise, objects rattling on the shelves, a blinding light -- but then, instead of being levitated up or beamed up, the abductees are lassoed up! Well, some alien version of the lasso, but they're all hauled up into the ships by rope. I got a big kick out of that.

Has anyone had a chance to see The Guard, Brendan Gleeson's new movie? It's in limited release and not showing anywhere in my zip code area. My son says it's playing to sold-out audiences in one Boston theater, and it is VERY entertaining.

[This message has been edited by Barbara (edited 08-12-2011).]

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 08/12/11 06:16 PM

The Guard opens in Britain next week. The Guardian has a little bit about it, plus more if you click the Don Cheadle link.

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 08/13/11 02:37 PM

It's not playing here or is even on any schedule that I can see.

One line especially in C&A I liked. The human-appearing woman who turns out to be a good alien says, "I took this form so I could walk among you." And she even manages to keep a straight face while she says it!

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 08/17/11 09:19 AM

Rise of the Planet of the Apes...I wasn't planning to see this until it started getting such great reviews. Since everybody already knows what's going to happen, you watch to see HOW it happens. Then that becomes "How did they do that?" The apes are the most realistic I've ever seen in a movie.

*************SPOILER************

The big irony in this movie is that the apes' increased intelligence and ability to speak comes from an advance in medicine meant to benefit humans, a drug that reverses the effects of Alzheimer's. They tried it out first on apes...and look what happened.

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 08/17/11 01:29 PM

Yes, only the orangutan looked like a man in a monkey suit. All the others were incredibly real-looking. How DID they do that? It wasn't just ordinary computer animation.

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 08/30/11 11:57 AM

I saw The Guard yesterday - very enjoyable. It has one of the ten standard plots (mismatched characters having to co-operate), and the story is mostly pretty straightforward, but the dialogue is great if you don't mind a lot of swearing. There are a few unexpected twists, but nothing like the ones in In Bruges (written and directed by the brother of The Guard's writer-director).

Good acting all round, too. It's very much Brendan Gleeson's film, with Don Cheadle at one point disappearing for some time. I wasn't entirely clear whether the ending was happy or unhappy, but maybe I missed something.

The cinema was unusually full and there were a lot of guffaws (many of them from me).

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 10/01/11 05:49 PM

Yesterday a couple of friends and I went to see The Debt, only to find it had been pulled from the theater without any advance warning. So we saw Killer Elite instead, and I think I can safely say I've had enough screen violence now to last me until, oh, May, 2027. It's about three violent men, played by Jason Statham, Clive Owen, and Robert Di Niro, in descending order of importance to the plot. They were backed up by a large supporting cast, all of them violent men except one (The Girl). You needed a score card to keep track of them all, and a road map would have been helpful in following that plot. Nevertheless, the three of us sat there intrigued the whole hour and 40 minutes it lasted; I'm not sure what that says about us OR the movie.

But I am sorry to have missed The Debt. I don't believe I've ever seen Helen Mirren and Tom Wilkinson act together before; that alone is enough to draw me to the movie. Did anyone here see it?

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 10/02/11 11:21 AM

I did, and I wasn't completely satisfied with it. It's an absorbing story, and Mirren and Wilkinson are terrific. So is Jesper Christensen as the villain...a pure embodiment of evil. But the movie asks you to believe just too many improbable things as it jumps back and forth in time. It's definitely worth seeing for the performances alone when it comes out on DVD, but it could have been a much better movie.

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 10/03/11 04:52 PM

I had trouble keeping things straight, even the characters. It was hard to believe the three leads were older versions of the three young ones. The casting of the men was confusing.

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 10/05/11 10:30 PM

Yeah, I had a problem with that, too. There's no way that anorexic, delicate girl could grow up into Helen Mirren.
Posted by: Andrew

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 10/06/11 04:21 AM

Originally Posted By: Barbara
But I am sorry to have missed The Debt. I don't believe I've ever seen Helen Mirren and Tom Wilkinson act together before.

IMDB reveals that they appeared together in Prince of Jutland (1994) - never heard of it. Also Prime Suspect.

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 10/07/11 06:02 PM

If it's not too late, go see Contagion. It's a surprisingly good movie.

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 10/07/11 09:26 PM

Going tomorrow...on your rec, Lorna.

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 10/08/11 01:35 PM

Uh-oh. It had better be good.

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 10/09/11 02:56 PM

It was! Nothing at all like Virus or any of those other TV epidemic movies, but believable people doing believable things under great stress. I especially liked the way the CDC was shown, not as a bunch of automatons barking orders at one another, which is what we usually get. Good movie. Thank you, Lorna.

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 10/22/11 08:52 PM

If you like baseball, don't miss Moneyball. Even if you don't like baseball, don't miss Moneyball. It's not your typical sports movie. In fact, it's not about sports at all. It's about business, the wheeling and dealing behind the scenes, and the business just happens to be baseball. I have only a casual interest in the sport, but I got involved in this movie right from the start and stayed involved all the way through.

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 10/28/11 09:01 PM

One thing I liked about that movie was that Brad Pitt abandoned an annoying mannerism of his -- the jerky back-and-forth two-handed pointing gesture he's relied upon so much. It was a nice performance in a good movie.

Another good movie is The Ides of March -- George Clooney's movie of substance which he seems to alternate with lighter fare. Ides is a good, intense, political movie and rather courageous in its willingness to reveal feet of clay -- and not in the opposition party.

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 01/04/12 10:34 AM

Can it be that none of us has found anything worth mentioning at the movies since October?

This one counts as 2011, though I saw it only yesterday. Hugo. I was bowled over in a way I didn't expect, and kept in a dreamlike state of just taking it all in from start to finish. Martin Scorsese establishes a world that is both Paris c. 1930 and a place for fables to play out. Gorgeous work from all the support elements, design and photography and music. Lovely performances from Ben Kingsley, the two children, and many others. And maybe the first really integral, immersive use of 3-D I've seen. See it in a theater.

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 01/05/12 07:27 PM

Well, I've been too busy going to movies! Hugo, hm? I skipped that one, and it sounds as if that was a mistake.

I'll mention just one of the ones I've seen and liked -- Young Adult. Charlize Theron gives a powerful performance in a story that sounds like a typical romantic comedy: successful, beautiful young woman leaves the big city to return to the small town where she was born to reconnect with her high school sweetheart. Only there are kinks in that story. An author of YA fiction (Theron) sees her successful career coming to an end. She's no longer young (37) but she is still beautiful, although now she has to work at it (false hair, etc.). And she drinks like a fish. Then to cap things off, her highschool sweetheart is now married and is a new father. Going back is only the first of a number of bad decisions she makes, and toward the end she reveals something about her past that explains why she has gotten so far off the track. The town itself is no picket-fence dream; it's filled with small people leading small lives. She does bond with one former classmate who gives her some perspective (Patton Oswalt in another good performance). Young Adult is not a parody of romantic comedy; it's played absolutely straight. The movie is funny and poignant and smart. I'd say Charlize Theron was a shoo-in for her second Oscar if it weren't for Meryl Streep waiting in the wings.

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 01/06/12 11:05 AM

Has anyone seen The Iron Lady? It hasn't opened here yet.

I want to put in a word for The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I haven't read the book so it was all completely new for me, and I really liked it. Most thrillers now are just action sequences from beginning to end, and that can be fun...but this one builds up a lot of tension just through the investigation. There's a nasty rape sequence, not related to the plot but to illustrate something about the title character...mainly, hurt her and you pay for it. (The rapist gets his come-uppance in a most satisfying way.) And there's a violent episode toward the end. But the rest of it is just peeling back layers of the past to get at the truth. It's a good-looking movie, too, very slick.

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 01/06/12 12:10 PM

I liked The Descendants a lot. Movies about family dynamics aren't always as interesting as they ought to be, but this one certainly is. A woman is in a boating accident and falls into a coma. Her husband learns from one of their daughters that his wife had been cheating on him. That's the plot, in essence. Everything that happens spins off that one fact. This isn't one of Clooney's old-smoothie roles...he's at a loss what to do and fumbles his way toward finding a satisfactory solution. Extraordinary performances from the three youngsters in the film (two daughters plus a boyfriend).

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 01/09/12 12:33 PM

Yesterday I went to see War Horse and I wish I hadn't bothered. I don't understand how so many critics could rave over so schmalzy a movie. It is pure schmalz. Well, there are some good things in it. Emily Watson makes something out of her nothing role as the mother of the boy who raised the horse. All the characters are one- or two-dimensional because of the episodic structure of the story. And there were some effective shots...a panicked horse racing through the trenches at the front line, for instance. But most of the movie was so blasted manipulative! Like, laugh when I push this button, now cry, now go "Awww..." I liked the horse...or horses, all 12 of them that played the title role (2 foals, 2 colts, 8 stallions). And there was a scene-stealing goose that added some genuine humor in contrast to the manufactured kind everywhere else in the movie. Spielberg has always been a manipulative director, but never so blatantly as this. Yucch.

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 01/09/12 08:01 PM

Jon, see what you started?

I almost didn't go to The Descendants because the previews made it look like a fluff movie. But it has real substance and it is so well done! Clooney makes good movies. And yes, it has his signature shot, a lingering close-up of the back of his head. grin

Rita, I couldn't agree more about War Horse. Great horse(s), bad movie. Everything from the bright yellow Norman Rockwell sky casting a hazy glow over the awful poverty of the Devon farmers (well, it's home, don't you see) to that annoying French girl with the impenetrable accent to...well, just plain bad movie-making.

One example only. A British cavalry unit prepares to attack a German camp set up in a clearing in the woods. A recon team reports the camp is lightly guarded and the Germans suspect nothing. So the attack begins, and we get a series of quick shots, switching from the mounted British yelling a battle cry and riding with their swords pointed straight ahead, to the Germans scrambling out of their tents and trying to make it into the woods before those thundering horses got there...back and forth between the two, building up tension for the moment the two collide -- but we're not shown that moment. Suddenly there are riders among the tents but there's no moment of impact, no first meeting of the two sides. I guess Spielberg couldn't get that initial collision to look effective, so he just skipped it.

Anyway, what the charging British don't know is the Germans have machine guns in the woods. Lots of them, lined up and ready to fire. It's not quite the Charge of the Light Brigade (swords against guns) because the movie cavalry didn't know they'd be facing guns (bad recon), but the result is the same. The camera pulls back to show the slaughter, a field littered with dead horses and dead British soldiers...all laid out in a perfect checkerboard pattern. Someone had to have measured the distances among the various clumps of corpses to get the placements that uniform. It is so stagey that what should be tragic becomes merely ludicrous. Phooey.

Bad news: The Iron Lady has not been getting very good reviews. Everyone is agreed that Streep is fantastic, but quite a few critics are saying the movie itself is crap. metacritic

Sorry to be so long-winded (no, I'm not), but I've got one more thing I want to mention.
*********** The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo SPOILER *******************
I've not read the Millennium trilogy, so the story was new to me. But I was able to spot the killer early on. Not because of the script, or the direction, or the acting, but because of the casting. Stellan Skarsgård is far too strong an actor to be wasted in such a minor role...unless he had a big scene coming up at the end. And did he ever! Presence justified.

Now I'm done.

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 01/10/12 07:12 PM

Wild horses would not drag me to The Iron Lady, nor, if it comes to that, War Horse. I read all of the Millennium trilogy, so there was no point in seeing the film(s). (Spoiler: The books got worse as they went on.)

The one film that I saw in the cinema recently probably might not appeal to many of you. It's a low-key drama called Weekend. It got good reviews in The Guardian and elsewhere, and has won various prizes. The York City Screen had only one showing, and the cinema was far from full. IMDB has details and reports.

It all takes place in Nottingham, and is about a semi-closeted gay man (Russell) who spends an evening with an old friend and his family. He gets drunk/drugged, goes to a gay bar, takes someone back to his place. Next day, the "someone" (Glen) starts asking questions, then records his answers, then they have a dialogue, and things start to click. Glen isn't keen on relationships and reveals that he's imminently going off to the Pacific NorthWest for a couple of years. He doesn't want to go in for goodbyes, but Russell turns up at the railway station and ... well, nothing much happens. It's a bit slow at times, there's a bit of gay sex (but nothing very alarming, folks). Worth seeing if you can find it, IMNSHO.

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 01/12/12 06:55 AM

One showing only? Now that's really a limited release. Weekend didn't show in many theaters here. IMDB's box office figures (low) end in November and their "showings" link is grayed out, so I think it's gone. First released in Germany, for some reason.

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 01/13/12 10:28 PM

Barbara, your spoiler point can be a real problem. I've heard one or two directors say (in DVD commentaries) that they had to consider this type of problem when casting, because of the nature of the story. Sounds like they didn't, in this case.

War Horse is still playing onstage in NYC. My friends who've seen it there say that the story didn't mean much to them, but the staging (British import) was extraordinary, with the use of life-size puppets and great visual flair. They weren't inclined to revisit it as a film.

Weekend got as many as 46 reviews, as collected by MRQE (a few are UK in origin, but most seem to be US). I'm surprised, because it escaped my radar completely. As Lorna says, it played here in early fall, and the UK box-office figures begin the week after the US ones stop; it's amusingly as if only 3 or 4 prints exist, and they flew them across the Atlantic. But on a second look at MRQE, the reviews are not only from the predictable NYC-LA-SanFran, it also opened in Boston, Chicago, St. Louis, Austin, St. Paul. Not Philadelphia (my area), as far as I can tell, but our screens for such movies have decreased greatly in the last couple of years.

Hugo is still playing in theaters, still in 3D. It's worth checking around to see where you can catch it, in my opinion anyway.

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 01/16/12 12:04 PM

I went to see Hugo, and frankly I didn't care for it much. Scorsese has gotten sentimental in his old age. Or, maybe I'm turning into a Grinch.

Did anyone else find Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy as confusing as I did? So many flashbacks, most of which were not clearly flashbacks, just one scene following another without any differention between past and present. Great production, very slick...and perfect acting. (But something of Barbara's spoiler at work here too.) For all the things it had going for it, it wasn't a very satisfying movie.

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 01/18/12 07:33 PM

Yes, I found it VERY confusing, especially since most of the movie is one big fat red herring. It IS a slick production, well acted, but I'd guess 95% of what happens is misdirection. One thing that could help in spotting the flashbacks is the presence of John Hurt. His character dies early in the action; no death scene, just a casual mention by one of the other characters that "Control" was dead. So from that point on, every time you see Hurt, you're watching a flashback. Sometimes he doesn't do anything other than sit at a table, so don't blink. Unfortunately, he can't be in every flashback, but he is in most of them.

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 02/09/12 06:44 PM

Not a word about Meryl Streep's stunning performance in The Iron Lady? There were things the movie skipped over I would have liked to see, and I could have done with less of the nostalgia parts, but Streep was absolutely perfect. It's especially remarkable considering her own politics are just the opposite of Margaret Thatcher's.

Andrew, didn't you say you were NOT going to see the movie? A pity, because I'd like to know how accurate it was. In the film, Thatcher just sort of turned into a dragon overnight, and I couldn't buy that. It had to be a long time building, but we weren't shown that happening.

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 02/09/12 07:06 PM

Rita, life is too short! I can think of one or two things that Mrs T did that were OK, but I really don't want to re-live her reign, Streep notwithstanding.

Did I once mention hereabouts that I met a Leeds University colleague on one of the mornings after one of her election victories, much of which I'd seen on TV, and I said to him "The only thing worse than waking up and finding out that Mrs Thatcher is still Prime Minister is waking up with a hangover and finding out that she's still Prime Minister".

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 02/09/12 10:41 PM

Ha, Andrew, we kind of picked up on that. But Rita put her finger on one of the weak spots of the movie. For most of the film Thatcher is shown as charismatic and sympathetic, and then without any preparation she turns into an autocratic monster. There's one particularly painful scene, in a meeting with her ministers, in which she utterly humiliates a long-time supporter, Geoffrey Howe (beautifully played by Anthony Head). Even worse, she doesn't even notice he is humiliated, nor is she aware of the shocked silence of her other ministers. Totally wrapped up in herself. A good scene, but out of key with anything that preceded it.

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 04/09/12 07:21 PM

Salmon Fishing in the Yemen is on its second run and playing to sizable audiences. If you haven't seen it, it's well worth a look. It's funny and whimsical and occasionally serious (but not too often) -- altogether a very pleasant two hours.

I got to the theater early, so I sat on a bench outside to wait for the friend I was meeting there. The parked car nearest the bench was a shiny black pick-up truck -- with a big Pittsburgh Steelers logo on the door. It struck me as ironically appropriate that the truck should be in a Disabled Parking spot.

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 04/10/12 12:46 PM

Ha. Ailing to the point of disabled.

We saw Salmon Fishing and liked it a lot. Kristin Scott Thomas is hilarious...stole every scene she was in.

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 06/14/12 11:49 AM

Snow White and the Huntsman is another one of those movies that leave you amazed at what they can do with F/X now. It's a feast for the eyes, simply beautiful. Charlize Theron is a wonderful evil queen in a dark, twisty version of the story. This is the second dark telling of the Snow White story I've seen. Showtime did one several years ago with Sigourney Weaver as the queen with quite a different take on the story. I liked both of them.

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 06/14/12 07:53 PM

It was fun watching Bob Hoskins as one of the dwarfs. But I don't understand how Snow White could have light brown hair as a child and coal-black hair as an adult, especially in a movie that pays such careful attention to detail.

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 06/15/12 04:52 AM

Perhaps she secretly dyed her hair. Or wore a wig.

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 06/15/12 01:44 PM

My idea of "the fairest in the land" doesn't have rabbit teeth. But other than that, it IS a beautiful movie. Almost every shot is worthy of being framed and hung on a wall.

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 06/15/12 03:40 PM

Bob Hoskins as a dwarf?? He's short, but he's not THAT short. Tall dwarfs?

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 06/15/12 08:10 PM

No, real dwarfs, with Hoskins' head imposed on one of them. Ian McShane was another.

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 06/25/12 05:33 PM

Did anyone see Prometheus, THE Big Summer Movie? I don't want to be a spoiler.

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 06/28/12 07:31 PM

I do, and here it is: DON'T GO.

There's not one original thing in Prometheus. Most of it is a ripoff of the Alien movies, both in story points and images. It even steals a few things from Stargate: SG-1. BIG disappointment

OK, Austin, what did you think?

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 06/29/12 11:51 AM

Well, I complained so much during the movie that my wife finally told me to shut up. I hated it. It doesn't even pretend to be homage, it's just theft. Another thing they stole...that vast underground installation that turns out to be a buried spaceship is straight from Cowboys and Aliens. It's all flash and no substance. Pathetic.

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 06/29/12 12:48 PM

Let's not forget the utter silliness of that girl running around and doing action hero stuff just five minutes after undergoing major abdominal surgery. Oh sure, the script called for her to grab her tummy and wince now and then, But she was no more convincing doing that than any of the other things she did. Ripley, she ain't.

Charlize Theron was totally wasted in this movie as the Burke character from Aliens. At least she can put in her resumé that she was once killed by a spaceship falling on her. Not many people can say that.

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 06/29/12 02:41 PM

I really wasn't planning to go, but thanks for the heads up anyway...

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 06/29/12 06:02 PM

Ridley Scott directed the first Alien movie, and it's painfully obvious he was trying to recreate that success in Prometheus. He even used his Alien designer, H.R. Giger. I did like the look of the movie, but then I've long admired Giger's "biomechanic" work, even before Alien was released. But that was the only thing I liked in Prometheus, tempered slightly by the fact I'd seen much of it in the earlier movies.

I left the theater thinking of sending a nasty letter to Roger Ebert for writing a rave review of the movie. But then I had second thoughts: did he really write it? Could Ebert's health problems be causing him to farm out some reviews to other writers? In retrospect, the review didn't sound like Ebert -- not exactly naïve, but too easily accepting, somehow. Ebert would have spotted all those borrowed elements, wouldn't he? A couple of times in the review, a sentence appeared saying Prometheus was not Aliens...why? Denying the borrowings? The word "thought-provoking" was used -- whaaaat? Because the characters wondered where we came from? As if no one had ever thought that before?

Or maybe I'm just talking through my hat. Would someone else please read the review and tell me what you think?

Ebert's review

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 06/30/12 01:09 PM

Yeah, that review is questionable at least. Too gosh-gee-whiz. But truthfully I don't think I'd have noticed anything off-kilter if I read the review before seeing the movie. It sounds like a studio review. I don't know if they're still doing it, but studios used to send PR packages to newspapers that contained glowing reviews of their newest movies. Local reviewers were entitled to use any part of the review without quote marks, and small papers with no movie reviewer often ran the whole review. It's hard to think a Big Name like Ebert and a Big Newspaper like the Chicago Sun-Times would need to run a PR review, but I guess stranger things have happened.

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 06/30/12 04:53 PM

That sounds like a reasonable possibility, Chris. Whether he wrote it or not, I have to think Ebert's health had something to do with it.

Thank you all for posting. We were going to see Prometheus tomorrow, but now we'll skip it. Anything else now showing that's worth a look?

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 06/30/12 08:10 PM

Well, if The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel is still playing in your area, you might enjoy that. It's light fare, but it has a lot of good lines and a feel-good ending. Besides, you can't go wrong with a cast that includes Judi Dench, Maggie Smith, Tom Wilkinson, Celia Imrie, and Bill Nighy.

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 07/01/12 11:27 AM

Yes, that's a goodie.

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 07/01/12 07:55 PM

Oh, I would love to see that! But it's not showing here, and I don't think it ever did. Phooey.

Instead of Prometheus we saw People Like Us, which was a lot better than I expected. A youngish man (Chris Pine) learns he has an older sister (Elizabeth Banks), a fact his father had kept concealed from him. Soap opera stuff, and it gets sentimental at the end, but there's an energy in the movie that keeps things moving along quite nicely. I enjoyed it, and I especially liked Elizabeth Banks. She's a formidable screen presence.

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 07/02/12 08:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Barbara
Well, if The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel is still playing in your area, you might enjoy that. It's light fare, but it has a lot of good lines and a feel-good ending. Besides, you can't go wrong with a cast that includes Judi Dench, Maggie Smith, Tom Wilkinson, Celia Imrie, and Bill Nighy.

OH! I think it is. Will give me something to do tomorrow if I am still without power at my house...and they are now saying not to expect to get it back before Saturday...That is, assuming the THEATER where is is showing has power.

The outages are very strange...whole neighborhoods out, and then there's a block with power...At least I can sleep at John's while they are in Missouri for the week.

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 07/04/12 10:42 AM

Alerted by a musician friend, I went to see Moonrise Kingdom. Because the music of Benjamin Britten is central to it -- it begins and ends with children listening to a recording (with narration) of The Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra, and the opera-for-community-performance "Noye's Fludde" is central to the story. (We hear bits of other Britten on the soundtrack too.) So that put me in a mood to enjoy it, and I did. It has a look and atmosphere all its own, and some nice performances; the roles played by Bill Murray and Frances McDormand are almost too short for it to matter that it's them, but Edward Norton as a dedicated scoutmaster and especially Bruce Willis (doing fine quiet work as the only policeman on the island) are terrific. But it was the Britten (and the orchestration lesson during the final credits) that made the movie for me.

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 07/04/12 01:01 PM

Wow...I'll go.

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 07/04/12 04:20 PM

It is showing at our "art" house....now to find out if they have power...

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 07/08/12 04:58 PM

I saw it, and I have only one word to say: GO.

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 07/11/12 08:33 PM

Oh, can't you say some more, Rita? smile I would love to hear what others think.

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 07/13/12 05:59 PM

***********SPOILER***********

I loved the dreamlike quality of the movie, the whimsy, the unique look of the movie...and of course the music, an essential part of the fabric of the movie (that sounds pretentious, but I don't know how else to put it). Everything flowed so seamlessly into everything else. I loved the conclusion, when everyone was in the church for a second performance of Noye's Fludde...the storm was raging, the flimsy dam broke, and the water came flooding in through the town. That church, with the children all costumed as animals, truly was Noah's ark.

But there's an undertone of darkness running through the movie. Troubled children aren't receiving the help they need. A dog is killed. The mother in the family is having an affair. I have to say I've never seen Frances McDormand looking more frumpy, deliberately so. It's a sour sort of joke. You couldn't imagine a woman less likely to attract an extra-marital lover.

Jon, McDormand's and Murray's roles seemed to me about the same size as Willis's and Norton's. They were all on the screen about an equal amount of time, I'm pretty sure.

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 07/15/12 06:35 PM

**********ANOTHER SPOILER*********

That dark undertone is what gives the movie its spine, IMO. The scene in which the other scouts launch an attack on the runaways could have been just a kids-at-play rumble until they all noticed the dog lying dead with an arrow in his side. That was a bit of a shock. It was leavening of a sort, since there is so much whimsy in the film. Like in the family's home, hanging on a wall between two pictures is a pair of scissors. We're never shown that again nor is there any explanation of why scissors should be hanging on a wall. And a trestle table outdoors in one of the scout camps is holding some scouting gear but also a framed 1940s-style photo of a woman talking on the phone. Lots of stuff like that, little unexplained anomalies.

We have an otherwise by-the-book scoutmaster who is always smoking. One time the film's narrator (Bob Baloban, looking like an ad for L.L. Bean) starts talking at day's end when visibility isn't too good, so he reaches off the side of the screen and turns on a light. Harvey Keitel is barely recognizable behind huge handlebar mustaches, and Tilda Swinton doesn't even have a name in the movie; she's listed in the cast as "Social Services". I thought the conclusion was rushed and not too credible, but I didn't mind that too much. A conventional ending just wouldn't be right for this movie.

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 08/21/12 11:26 AM

My thanks to both of you for responding. Your point about relative length of roles is a good one, Rita.

Lots of movies these days go for "an odd unique atmosphere," but I find that this one hangs together and stays in my memory.

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 10/15/12 06:24 PM

[Moved here from Not-so-current.]

Austin said: "Looper...if you haven't seen it, go go GO!"

Jon said: "I agree, Austin. I was especially happy to see it knowing only the bare minimum in advance.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt has grown up nicely, after beginning as a kid on TV.

[Edited to add: I jumped to respond, but I suppose this discussion belongs in a different thread....}"

I just saw it, also without much foreknowledge, and it is a goodie. It's a very intense movie, so you can't look away from the screen or you'll miss something. I long ago grew tired of Bruce Willis's alpha-male shtick, but I must say he was perfect for this role -- obviously older, getting pudgy, but still with fire in his eye. I was also impressed by Garret Dillahunt (Jesse), whom I don't remember seeing before. I'm going to echo Austin's GO!

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 10/16/12 12:35 PM

Garret Dillahunt has made a lot of his career on TV, having had regular or recurring roles on series like Deadwood, ER, Burn Notice. For the last few years he and Martha Plimpton have played the parents of the central character on Raising Hope.

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 10/16/12 10:51 PM

Ah. The only one of those shows I've ever watched is Burn Notice.

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 10/30/12 01:25 AM

Cloud Atlas has gotten mixed reviews, but I'd say it's a must-see movie. Any episodic story runs the risk of annoying readers or an audience by involving them in one plot and then cutting away to another when they want to continue with the one they've been reading or watching. This never happens in Cloud Atlas; it's all one continuous story and the transitions between parts are fast and smooth. Dozens of story lines, actors playing multiple roles (a couple of them transgender), and the whole thing a visual treat -- I'm buying this one when it comes out on DVD.

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 11/05/12 06:35 PM

I saw it this weekend and oh, there's so much to see! Three hours long with no laggy moments. Definitely buying the DVD.

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 11/17/12 08:54 AM

I was never much of a James Bond fan until Daniel Craig came along (I liked the gadgets more than the people). Skyfall is a good one...a slick, fast, action movie with an unexpected ending. Judi Dench's role is larger than usual, and Javier Bardem makes a very quirky villain. Skyfall has undertones of vulnerability not found in earlier 007 movies, but it remains a thriller in the truest sense of the word.

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 11/19/12 01:40 AM

Yes, this one is definitely different from the first two Craig movies, even though the emphasis is still on action. We can't really talk about it without giving away too much, not even with the Spoiler option. One reason I like the Craig movies is the absence of campiness present in the earlier 007 movies, but all of them show an attention to detail that's quite remarkable.

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 11/20/12 06:17 AM

We're going this weekend.

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 11/24/12 08:28 PM

Saw "Lincoln" today...very well done, DD-L is excellent, of course...and Sally Field is surprisingly good as Mrs. L.

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 11/25/12 03:04 PM

I haven't seen Lincoln, but the previews reminded me of how light Daniel Day-Lewis's voice is. I don't know what the real Lincoln sounded like, but methinks a movie Lincoln should have a deep and resonant voice.

The previews also showed the end of the Gettysburg Address, which Day-Lewis read the way everybody does: "...OF the people, BY the people, FOR the people..." When I was a child, I read a piece in Reader's Digest that was an interview with a very old man who'd actually been in Gettysburg at the time. He said that the way Lincoln said it was "...of the PEOPLE, by the PEOPLE, for the PEOPLE..." I've never heard anyone read it that way.

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 11/25/12 05:34 PM

That comes very near the beginning of the movie and is followed by a group of black soldiers reciting it for Lincoln...

As for Lincoln's voice, I rather suspect that it was light and that he has what today we'd call a hillbilly accent. Photography was around then but the ability to record sound was still a long way off...pity.
Posted by: David Dvorkin

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 11/25/12 08:40 PM

Lincoln had a high-pitched, nasal voice, despite his height.

He would never have made it in today's politics!

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 11/25/12 10:55 PM

I can just image it: Abe, you've got to shave that beard for starters...and get your hair styled. You need a voice coach while we're at it. That coat has to go, too...oh, and when you make a speech, just say "87 years ago" -don't confuse people with fancy rhetoric...
Posted by: Pete

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 11/26/12 07:35 AM

The real Lincoln had a very high voice. I don't know about his accent, but listening to the changes in speech just since the advent of talkies, I'd say it might have been quite different from what we would expect. His words have lived forever, but as an orator, he evidently wasn't considered anywhere near as good as Edward Everett.

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 11/26/12 10:35 PM

Back to Skyfall for a mo. This one is different from the earlier movies in another way, a rather surprising way. It's the only Bond film in which 007 fails to accomplish his mission. Yes, he nails the bad guy, but...
Click to reveal..
...his first priority is to protect M. In the end, he isn't able to do that. At least Dame Judi went out with a bang.

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 11/27/12 05:08 PM

Click to reveal..
Oh, that's true! I hadn't thought of that. All the time I kept thinking M would pull out a gun and pop the bad guy herself. But her wound was mortal, and it was not to be. Bond DID fail. It was Judi Dench's decision to leave the Bond films. She's 77 now, and maybe it just got too demanding physically.

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 11/29/12 07:04 PM

Something else is different, a glimpse of their private lives. M's husband died sometime between the last movie and this one. James Bond had a rather grand ancestral home in Scotland (to account for Connery's burr?).

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 12/31/12 08:41 PM

Last-minute catch-up before we run out of 2012 and start a new topic (this one has been running for two years!). If any of you missed Life of Pi, you missed a visual treat that needs a big screen to be at its most effective. I have never before seen computer-generated images so completely believable. Almost all the animals in the movie were computer images. There's one scene in which a terrified zebra jumps down from the sinking ship into the lifeboat and lands in a way that surely would have broken his leg if he'd been real. But he wasn't. And a scene where the tiger attacks the hyena and breaks his neck -- he didn't. CGI did. PeTA actually endorsed this movie. The non-animal parts of the movie aren't always intriguing, but the movie did reinforce an opinion I've held for some years, that the Bengal tiger is the most beautiful animal on the planet.

By the way, did you know that "No animals were harmed..." is a copyrighted phrase? It belongs to the American Humane Society. So if you ever see that phrase in the credits, it means the AHS was there every step of the way while the movie was being made.

Tom Cruise's new thriller, Jack Reacher, is a pretty good one. It has a real plot, not just an excuse for action sequences. And it's different from other thrillers in one notable way: no sex scene. Amazing.

Jack Reacher was a substitute for Hitchcock, which a friend wanted to see in spite of its bad reviews. But we waited too long and missed it. Interestingly, last month HBO showed a cable movie called The Girl that focused on Hitchcock's tormenting of Tippi Hedren during the filming of The Birds (I think Hitchcock is set at the time of Psycho). Anyway, Toby Jones made a believable Hitchcock in the HBO movie in spite of his shortness (as he made a believable Truman Capote in Infamous, where being short helped). But the more difficult role was that of Hedren, because she didn't have imitatable mannerisms as Hitchcock did. I thought Sienna Miller did a good job. Her acting was on the wooden side, as Hedren's was. And she caught her voice perfectly; there were times I could have sworn that was Tippi Hedren speaking. The Girl had a low-budget look to it, but it was interesting.

And again I'm reminded of something. Way back when impersonators were the hot act, Spencer Tracy claimed no one ever did an impersonation of him. He had no quirks or mannerisms or vocal tricks that could be imitated, and so the impersonators passed him by. This gave Tracy enormous satisfaction.

Oops, a very long post; I'll stop now.

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 01/01/13 11:41 AM

The CGI in Life of Pi is so convincing there's only one thing that gives it away as not real, and that's the fact that there's no way in hell they could have gotten most of those shots in live action. A masterful job.

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 01/01/13 12:43 PM

Anybody else seen Les Miz? We went (I was visiting Liz in Savannah) on Christmas afternoon...theater was packed. It was pretty well done but somehow lacked the punch of the stage version, which I've seen twice...

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 01/01/13 06:46 PM

We're skipping Les Miz, but I agree with everything said about Life of Pi. The movie for me was what happened in that lifeboat. The rest of it made a nice frame, but not too enthralling. Still, it's a remarkable achievement.
Posted by: Pete

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 01/02/13 09:30 AM

Uh, folks, shouldn't we close this topic down and start a new one for 2013?

Re: Current Movies (2011) - 01/02/13 10:05 AM

Yep. I'll close it, and the first person who has a new movie to talk about can start Current Movies (2013).