Television 2014

Posted by: Rita

Television 2014 - 04/07/14 11:28 AM

We seem to have lost our TV 2014 topic, so here's a new one.

Another raw episode of Those Who Kill. This show really makes you feel the awfulness of criminal behavior...nothing glib or perfunctory about it.
Click to reveal..
I can't think of another crime show that has let a rapist go unpunished. Last night's episode ended with a shot of the rapist sitting on his porch, never held to account for the lethal events he set in motion. Chilling.
BBCAmerica is rerunning the first season of Orphan Black, and I watched the episode showing Alison's meltdown. What a gem of dark comedy that was! New episodes begin on 4/19.

Re: Television 2014 - 04/08/14 07:27 PM

I just read some bad news that at first glance appeared to be good news...a new Battlestar Galactica movie. But it's being produced by Glen Larson, who produced the original BSG, which lasted only one season and deservedly so. None of the people who made the second BSG so good are involved. Details in Variety.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Television 2014 - 04/08/14 09:49 PM

Yucch. So Larson is "reimagining" his own show? I can understand wanting to go back and make something better, but how can he ignore the Ron Moore series?
Posted by: Barbara

Re: Television 2014 - 04/11/14 12:20 AM

Glen Larson is in his late 70s and doing what he has always done, selling series based on other people's ideas. IMO, his best series was Alias Smith and Jones, which was "inspired" by Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. The original BSG (bland and pedestrian) came into being only because Larson jumped on the SF bandwagon in the wake of the immense success of Star Wars. Buck Rogers was based on a comic book. Harlan Ellison called him Glen Larceny. I don't think we can expect much of this new venture.
Posted by: Pete

Re: Television 2014 - 04/11/14 05:35 AM

BSG actually lasted two seasons, as I remember, although season 2 was immensely unlike season 1.

Re: Television 2014 - 04/17/14 05:51 PM

Did anyone watch Fargo? It was made with the Coens' blessing, and I can see why. Same set-up as the movie, but different plotlines. Normally I don't care for Billy Bob Thornton, but he's just right in this new series as an itinerant Bad Guy. The show draws you in quickly and doesn't let go.

If you missed it, FX Channel is repeating it every night until Tuesday, when the next episode airs.

Re: Television 2014 - 04/18/14 12:05 AM

Yes, it does draw you in, and it doesn't waste any time on subtlety. I thought Martin Freeman's performance was over the top. Yes, the character (similar to William Macy's in the movie) was a nervous wreck. But how could anyone even talk to the guy without saying "What the hell is wrong with you?" Still, I'll be back for more.
Posted by: Christopher

Re: Television 2014 - 04/18/14 11:46 AM

Me too. The Big Bad's name is Malvo. As in Malvolio? Whatever, he certainly is Mal. The first hour had three murders -- the bully, the sheriff, and Walter's wife (inspired by Mal, if not actually committed by him). Did I miss anybody? The sheriff had to be killed to clear the way for his female deputy to step into the Frances McDormand role. Hell of a start.

Re: Television 2014 - 04/20/14 11:44 PM

Orphan Black is back with a bang. Sarah is our point-of-view character, but I get a kick out of Alison. She does these dreadful things, and she's so funny doing them. And she can sing!
Posted by: Lorna

Re: Television 2014 - 04/21/14 05:07 PM

I'm rather partial to Cosima myself, but yes, Alison is funny, even when allowing her neighbor to choke to death. Then she quick-stepped away from the house, her arms held motionless and tight to her sides. Even her walk was funny.

Re: Television 2014 - 05/04/14 08:16 PM

Jack Bauer returns tomorrow night, on Fox, in a 12-episode 24. This may be the last series.

Re: Television 2014 - 05/07/14 08:06 PM

Frankly, I worry about any series or movie that begins with a shootout (or a chase scene). But as always, 24 leaves you with questions that may never be answered. How did Jack know where Chloe was? He no longer has any contacts in any government agency. For that matter, how does he know what's in the wind concerning the President? Why was Chloe being tortured? Why didn't Jack get her medical help instead of leaving her on her own to find a safe place to go?

NCIS had an interesting episode last night, the first in a while. The show has been pretty lame lately.

Edited to add: Why is Fargo called Fargo? It's set in Minnesota.

Re: Television 2014 - 05/08/14 02:05 PM

Probably just for the name recognition. Who would tune in to a show called Bemidji? It's the same world as the movie Fargo, and a sequel, in a way. In this last episode a young Stavros Milos (played at his present age by Oliver Platt) finds a suitcase filled with money buried in the snow. That money was put there by the Steve Buscemi character in the movie, but he was killed before he could go back and collect it. Stavros went from running out of gas in the middle of nowhere because he'd had only $5 to buy gas to becoming The Supermarket King...all because of that movie suitcase.

I'd say NCIS was on its last legs, except that the cast has been signed to new 2-year contracts. But it has been lame, and that two-parter spinoff set in New Orleans starring Scott Bacula was awful. The new gal on the team is doing the best she can with the role she's been given, but young and eager just doesn't cut the mustard this late in the series.

Re: Television 2014 - 05/08/14 04:53 PM

Oh, you're dead right about that. I imagine the producers thought Bishop would bring a breath of fresh air to the series, but they haven't given her much to do so far. She hasn't had a chance to make her mark upon the team; she's more a tagalong than anything else.

If they really wanted to stir things up, they could have made the new token woman team member someone who's not at all impressed by Gibbs's style of leadership. She's impervious to The Stare. She refuses to guess at what he wants her to do. She's never intimidated into babbling incoherence. When she's yelled at, she yells back. And she never brings Gibbs his coffee. Now, THAT is something I'd like to see.

Re: Television 2014 - 05/09/14 07:59 AM

I thought they might use the Gibbs clone played by Abigail Borin, who is his Coast Guard equivalent

Re: Television 2014 - 05/14/14 06:54 PM

Any show that uses the word "dreadful" in its title is just asking for it...so here goes: Penny Dreadful lives up to (or down to) its name. It is DREADFUL. Throw everything you can think of into the mix and every viewer will find something to be shocked by. Bleaagghh.

Re: Television 2014 - 05/26/14 11:50 AM

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one, Chris. Last week's episode ("Séance") was a strong one, and so was this week's about Frankenstein's monster (Proteus/Caliban). The liberties they're taking with the various stories aren't random ones. They're all connected. Dracula hasn't been introduced yet, although it's obvious he's the one who took the girl the others are searching for. Dorian Gray's part in the story hasn't been made clear yet, but it will be. I think it's all very ingenious.

Re: Television 2014 - 05/26/14 03:01 PM

Has there ever been a movie or a TV show that didn't put "Dr." in front of Frankenstein's name? In Mary Shelley's book, Victor Frankenstein was a college drop-out; he didn't even finish his first year. But that said, I'm gradually being won over by Penny Dreadful. It IS ingenious.

Re: Television 2014 - 06/01/14 07:56 PM

I don't want to say too much about the last Orphan Black episode in case someone hasn't seen it yet, but its surprise ending is NOT to be missed! Terrible and funny at the same time. A man died, and I'm sitting there laughing my head off. This show is corrupting me.

I liked John Malkovich's new pirate series (Blackbeard). The dialogue is wonderful.

Re: Television 2014 - 06/01/14 11:51 PM

Rita, I had the same reaction to Orphan Black's last scene -- horrified laughter. Totally unexpected and yet completely believable. And it's in keeping with the rest of the series; one problem is solved but the solution itself creates a new problem.

I wasn't expecting much of Bluebeard, but I was pleasantly surprised. The dialogue IS wonderful. Just a couple of anachronistic expressions, but otherwise true to the period. All the actors spoke the language as easily as if it was their normal everyday speech; you don't find that often in period pieces.

Re: Television 2014 - 06/02/14 12:07 PM

Yeah, that Orphan Black scene was great. First you gasp and then you laugh.

Chris, it's too bad you're not watching Penny Dreadful. You missed a chance to see Frankenstein's monster working as a stagehand at the Grand Guignol.

Re: Television 2014 - 06/02/14 05:22 PM

WHAAAAAT??

Re: Television 2014 - 06/02/14 06:28 PM

'Tis true. smile
Posted by: David Dvorkin

Re: Television 2014 - 06/03/14 05:06 PM

He was the only stagehand they needed.

Re: Television 2014 - 06/09/14 02:59 PM

Okay, Penny Dreadful...I watched the episode with the Grand Guignol backstage stuff, and it was good. In fact, all the Frankenstein monster scenes were good. And that white, hairless creature with fangs that Fenton called "Master" -- that was Dracula? Not the way he's usually portrayed, is it? But the scenes of Dorian Gray in the Botanical Gardens were a big yawn. Why was all that necessary?

So, having been partially indoctrinated, I watched the new episode last night and was drawn in completely. That long, continuous backstory was as horrible as it was enlightening. It's one thing to read about the "treatment" of mental illness in Victorian times but quite another to see it acted out. Yep, it all got to me. I'll be back for more.

Re: Television 2014 - 06/09/14 06:00 PM

Aha, a convert! Welcome to the club, Chris. The Dorian Gray thread has been the most nebulous, but you can tell they're building up to something. And we haven't seen that portrait yet.

Major Crimes returns tonight, plus Steven Bochco's new crime series, Murder in the First. Bochco has been absent from TV for a long time.

What do you all think of the new clone in Orphan Black?

Re: Television 2014 - 06/09/14 06:12 PM

I thought the new clone in Orphan Black was a real misstep. The character was completely unconvincing and made me too aware that I was watching people acting. I couldn't keep up my willing suspension of disbelief.

Re: Television 2014 - 06/10/14 01:34 PM

Yes, it's the first misstep that show has made. It's a cute idea, but it doesn't even come close to working.

Bochco's new show is disappointing. It certainly doesn't grab you in the first episode the way Hill Street Blues and NYPD: Blue did.

Re: Television 2014 - 06/10/14 05:20 PM

After all these years, I can still remember the gripping ending of the first episode of Hill Street Blues, with Hill and Renko getting shot. Or am I actually misremembering that?

Leonore just learned that the actor who played Bobby Hill was a high-school classmate of hers. They moved in different circles (he was a popular kid, jock, and school president) and she didn't make the connection until she was speaking to someone about her upcoming 50th reunion. We're going to the reunion, but I suspect that Bobby Hill isn't.

Re: Television 2014 - 06/12/14 11:20 AM

Was the shooting at the end of the episode? I seem to remember it ended with the revelation that the police captain and the public defender, adversaries at work, were secret bedmates at night. But that was a long time ago...memory can play tricks.

Re: Television 2014 - 06/12/14 05:56 PM

Yes, as I remember, the episode ended with Hill and Renko lying on the floor in a rundown building, and you didn't know if they were alive or dead.

Re: Television 2014 - 06/22/14 05:11 PM

Oh wow, male clones in Orphan Black! Why is Marian keeping one imprisoned in her basement? Gracie, carrying Cosima's eggs in her womb, and the little girl, Charlotte...so many whys! Atta way to build a cliffhanger!

Re: Television 2014 - 06/22/14 11:41 PM

Yes...I just stayed up late to watch it. What do those government types want with Helena? Can't wait to see Rachel wearing an eye patch. That was rather grim.

Re: Television 2014 - 06/23/14 01:07 AM

I'm a little concerned that the show may develop an overpopulation problem. It has a huge cast already, and the male clones will take air time away from the clones we already know. And I always want to see more of Alison and Donnie. But I loved that impromptu dance session they had, with Helena mostly jumping up and down because she doesn't know how to dance, ha! That child actor playing Kira (8-year-old Skyler Wexler) is a marvel...such poise!

Another intense Penny Dreadful tonight.

Re: Television 2014 - 07/27/14 09:48 AM

Is anyone watching AMC's Halt and Catch Fire? It's fictional, but I'm wondering if it's based on anything that actually happened during those early computer days.

Re: Television 2014 - 07/27/14 05:19 PM

I've seen a few episodes, and I was wondering the same thing. Mackenzie Davis reminds me of a young Martha Plimpton.

Re: Television 2014 - 07/31/14 06:36 PM

Good buzz about The Honorable Woman, an 8-part series starting tonight on Sundance.
Posted by: Jon

Re: Television 2014 - 08/06/14 09:01 AM

Somehow I missed the Hill Street Blues discussion, and I have to chime in belatedly, because I was absolutely devoted to that series, and saw every episode. I even went to the location (next to a college campus just south of the Chicago Loop) where the station house facade was that they used for background and transitional shots, when they were doing the second-unit shooting before the second season (the cameraman was my father's best friend and he tipped me off). I got to shake hands with Daniel J. Travanti and was later sent an autographed photo from the cast.

Yes, the pilot episode ended with the revelation that the police captain and the angry lawyer were having a secret affair, and they were interrupted by a phone call with the news that Hill and Renko had been shot and were in critical condition. (Probably everybody here knows that originally Renko was to have died and Hill to have acquired a new partner for the run of the series, but everyone found the pairing so strong that he was kept alive after all.)

Michael Warren, who played Bobby Hill, is from Indiana, just a year older than me. He'd been a basketball star on UCLA's glory team of the late 1960s, but knowing that he was not tall enough for a professional career, he'd been a theater major from the start. I'd been following his movie career since 1971 and he was probably the reason I started to watch HSB. Now he's probably known to a younger generation, if at all, as Jessica Alba's father-in-law.

Re: Television 2014 - 08/06/14 05:22 PM

But he should be famous for having gone to high school with my wife. Life's not fair. smile

Re: Television 2014 - 08/11/14 05:58 PM

Is anyone besides me watching The Last Tango in Halifax on PBS? Two septuagenarians fall in love and get married, which causes two rather peculiar families to try to mesh. The old folks are played by Derek Jacobi and Anne Reid (love him, can't stand her). It's the subject matter of soap opera, but the sharp dialogue and good acting lift it above that.

Re: Television 2014 - 08/11/14 09:50 PM

Yes, it's an involving show, but I know what you mean about Anne Reid. There's always been something off-putting about her. She's done a lot of TV, but the only movie I've seen her in was The Mother. Strangely enough, that off-putting quality fits in well with both that movie and the idiosyncratic families in Halifax.

Personally, I'm hooked on Doc Martin.

Re: Television 2014 - 08/15/14 11:11 AM

Have there ever been so many new series on TV as there are now? Every movie channel now has to have its own original programming, and all the "tweeners" as well (USA, TBS, etc.). At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if The Weather Channel started doing original drama. I'm finding it impossible to keep up with everything.

But out of this overkill, one show does stand out, IMO, and that's The Knick on Cinemax. It's a medical drama set in NY at the beginning of the 20th century, and it looks like a movie. Steven Soderbergh is directing, and Clive Owens stars. The show is a grim look at a world hovering on the brink of great medical breakthroughs...but it's not there yet.

Cinemax is repeating the first episode tonight right before showing the second episode.

Re: Television 2014 - 08/26/14 02:22 PM

I've just caught up with The Knick, and yes, it is head and shoulders above the other new series. The money they've poured into that show! The attention to detail is astonishing, both in the 1900 settings and the way medicine was practiced at the time. (Such as surgeons operating without surgical masks or gloves, which hadn't been invented yet.) Soderbergh and Owen are a winning combination. This is quality TV.

It's interesting, though, that it's one of two new shows featuring a drug-addicted doctor as the protagonist. The other is Rush, nowhere near the same class as The Knick.

Re: Television 2014 - 08/28/14 04:08 PM

Rush gives us one more unshaven hero...close-cropped dark hair, stubbly face. I am SO TIRED of that look!

Re: Television 2014 - 08/29/14 07:02 AM

The stubbly face is the current fashion, just as is the lack of tie. I hate it, too (but I am stubbly most of the time, as I hate to shave).

Re: Television 2014 - 08/29/14 10:10 AM

It's been the current fashion far too long. I'm with Lorna...enough, already.

Re: Television 2014 - 09/19/14 08:41 PM

Has anyone been watching Outlander? I didn't expect to like it much, since Diana Gabaldon writes romances among other things. But it really pulls you in, and the romance is mostly in the landscape...I never knew Scotland was so beautiful. The last episode was a shocker, with one really harsh and cruel scene.

Re: Television 2014 - 09/20/14 01:17 PM

The whipping scene, yes. That poor guy's back looked like raw hamburger. That was really vicious. Interesting that our misplaced English heroine is treated better by the Scots than by her own people.

Re: Television 2014 - 09/23/14 02:56 PM

I rather like Julia McKenzie as Miss Marple. She's gentle and unobtrusive, like everybody's favorite aunt. Nobody can top Joan Hickson's performance, but A Caribbean Mystery was good, old-fashioned fun.

Re: Television 2014 - 09/23/14 06:52 PM

The Joan Hickson series was different from all the other Marple series in that it went for a realistic picture of murders and their aftermaths -- a rather daring move, considering that Agatha Christie virtually invented the cozy mystery. McKenzie is probably more like what Christie had in mind; she fits into the cozy pattern quite well. But Hickson is the one I'll always remember.

Alicia and Red are both back, and both in fine fettle.

Re: Television 2014 - 09/25/14 01:30 PM

Barbara, have you ever watched Dance Moms? Do you know anything about the Abby Lee Dance Company in Pittsburgh? Those women are terrible. I don't see how anything ever gets done in that atmosphere.

Re: Television 2014 - 09/25/14 03:31 PM

I never heard of Abby Lee Miller or her dance company until Dance Moms showed up on TV. It turns out she's not located right in Pittsburgh but in a suburb called Penn Hills. And yes, those moms are terrible, stage mothers to the nth degree. But they're not half as bad as Abby herself -- what a dragon! The way she talks to everybody, it's unbelievable. When she gets pissed at one of the moms, she punishes the daughter, by kicking her out of an ensemble or even by taking away her solo. And she plays favorites so blatantly. Have you been following the story of how she went to the judges after a competition and tried to get them to take a win away from one of her girls (Chloe) and give it to another, a new favorite? Poor Chloe; she can't win even when she wins.

Re: Television 2014 - 09/26/14 10:38 AM

What's this? What channel?

Re: Television 2014 - 09/26/14 05:29 PM

Lifetime, Tuesdays...channel 252 if you have DirecTV.

Yes, Abby can be perfectly awful when she wants to, and she wants to a lot. However, she does turn out winners, or so it seems in this undoubtedly highly edited show. But the kids are just wonderful, graceful and hard-working and able to do all sorts of lovely things with their young bodies. Unfortunately, they don't get as much air time as the squabbling adults, thus the name Dance Moms.

Re: Television 2014 - 09/27/14 03:34 PM

OK, this I gotta see.

Re: Television 2014 - 09/30/14 08:23 PM

Well, I've seen, and I can't believe my eyes. I think Dance Moms is my new Guilty Pleasure.

Re: Television 2014 - 10/02/14 04:57 PM

That scene in Outlander where Claire and Frank almost made contact in the rocky place...I know that's in one of the books and not added by the TV people, but it still felt to me like a cheat. It's an artificial way of prolonging the tension, probably building up to Claire's making a choice between the distant past and her own present time. It was just too manipulative. I didn't like it. That's the first thing about the show I didn't like.

Re: Television 2014 - 10/03/14 05:55 PM

I've been wondering where Claire gets the great dresses she's been wearing. She showed up with absolutely nothing, but now she's the best-dressed woman in the clan. Everybody else is wearing homespun, but the fabric alone in her clothing couldn't be manufactured in those near-primitive surroundings where she's been living. Hmm.

Re: Television 2014 - 10/04/14 03:13 PM

I missed the opening episode of TAR because I didn't know it had been moved from its Sunday night spot. Friday night used to be a TV graveyard, but I wonder if that's still true since recording shows is so easy now. Anyway, I don't think this is good news for TAR.

Re: Television 2014 - 10/07/14 06:49 PM

Did anyone catch The Black List last night? Whew. What an ingenious and horrible crime. How could anyone think of such a thing?

Re: Television 2014 - 10/08/14 07:02 AM

Yeah, that one knocked my socks off. Of all the things people do for money, Dr. Covington's "business" has got to be the most diabolical.

Re: Television 2014 - 10/08/14 11:56 PM

Just when you think you've seen every kind of crime there is acted out on TV, The Black List comes up with a new twist. I just hope there's no murderous surgeon out there who watched that episode and thought "Oh, what a good idea!"

Originally Posted By: Rita
I've been wondering where Claire gets the great dresses she's been wearing. She showed up with absolutely nothing, but now she's the best-dressed woman in the clan.
Oh, Rita, you're such a romantic. grin

I'm a sucker for time travel stories, but I have to wonder if any 20th-century woman would truly choose to stay in 1743, no matter how hunky the men or how beautiful the scenery. Especially a woman with medical training: herbs and folk remedies can carry her only so far. Can she perform a root canal on herself? Could she remove her own inflamed appendix? Claire must know she'd be shortening her life span if she stays in the past.

Austin, TAR was moved to Friday because CBS wanted the Sunday spot for the new show Madam Secretary, to pair off with The Good Wife, back-to-back series about women in authority making decisions that affect more than just the family. I'd never make it as a TV programmer, because that schedule sounds like a bad idea to me; the two programs could easily dilute each other. But however that works out, it does look as if TAR's days are numbered.

Re: Television 2014 - 10/09/14 05:07 PM

Given 18th-century dentistry and standards of personal hygeine, how hunky would the men actually be, to a modern woman?

Re: Television 2014 - 10/09/14 07:22 PM

Ha! Good point.

Re: Television 2014 - 10/29/14 07:01 PM

Did anyone watch the first part of the adaptation of P.D. James's Death Comes to Pemberley on PBS? It plays as if Jane Austen did write it (except for the violent death, of course). I like Anna Maxwell Martin as Elizabeth -- plain jane, sensible, compassionate.

This last episode of The Blacklist was just plain creepy.

Re: Television 2014 - 10/30/14 12:45 AM

Creepy, yes, and eerily effective. That show's motto must be "No Holds Barred".

Pemberley -- I think the actor who plays Colonel Fitzwilliam (Tom Ward) should have been cast as Darcy. He has more presence than Matthew Rhys, more authority...and he's better-looking. (P&P stresses that Darcy is even more handsome than Bingley.) Jane Austen and P.D. James have a lot in common stylistically; they both wrote/write elaborate, carefully thought-out sentences, and they both have the same quiet, understated sense of humor. It's a good match.

Re: Television 2014 - 12/21/14 08:31 AM

This past week was winners' week on TV, not winning shows necessarily but winners of reality competitions. The title of Master Chef Junior went to a beautiful 11-year old boy named Logan Guleff. Those children were amazing...they all could cook things I'd never even heard of. One little girl was only eight. Eight years old and competing in a nationally televised cooking contest! What were you doing when you were eight years old? I was still learning how to read. But Ramsey said Logan already had his chef's style, and it was a well-deserved win.

Survivor was a little different this time. No repeats, all new players. No villains. No heroes. Just a group of fairly well-matched players going through the usual maneuvering to reach Final Council, and the smartest player won, Natalie Anderson. No one ever voted against her in Tribal. Natalie and her twin sister Nadiya had earlier participated in TAR, and ironically Nadiya was the first one voted off in Survivor. Jeff Probst said they bookended the game. Another well-deserved win.

And so was La Tasha McCutcheon's win in Hell's Kitchen. Her team never nominated her for elimination, but I think the reason she won was that she was the most mature of the competitors. The rest were the usual collection of braggarts and dreamers. Ramsey made a good choice.

Last, but never least, TAR, which was won by a dark horse team. Food scientists Amy DeTong and Maya Warren never won a leg of the race, and they came in last in the penultimate leg, which was a non-elimination leg. So they started the final leg in last place, after three other teams. It was the memory test that won it for them. Amy sailed through it, getting all the answers right on the first try, something the others couldn't do. That gave them a big enough lead to let them cross the finish line first. They didn't run as good a race as the teams they beat, but they came through when it counted most. TAR showed a brief preview of the next race, so the show isn't done yet.

Re: Television 2014 - 12/22/14 01:31 AM

Child chef Logan is a wonder. For his final entrée, he cooked something he'd never tried before because he thought it would impress the judges -- and he was right. A baked branzino with a salt crust so thick there was no way to test the fish for doneness (or overdoneness). And he nailed it. Right after Ramsay announced Logan as the winner, he picked the kid up and hugged him. That's how delighted he was to find someone so special so young.

Re: Television 2014 - 12/22/14 12:04 PM

I never even heard of a branzino. The salt crust...do you eat that?

Re: Television 2014 - 12/23/14 11:45 AM

No, that's just to keep the moisture in while the fish is baking. Google says branzino is a variety of sea bass.