One more new story

Posted by: Barbara

One more new story - 09/29/99 12:33 PM

This one's called "Shakespeare Minus One" and it's in Future Crimes, edited by Martin H. Greenberg and John Helfers, published by DAW.

Re: One more new story - 09/29/99 12:38 PM

How very odd -- only half of my message posted.

The other half said a brief description of the story is still on the Upcoming page of my website because I can't upload the updated files yet.

Re: One more new story - 09/29/99 12:42 PM

And that time the URL was left off: http://www.barbarapaul.com/upcom.html#shake"

[This message has been edited by Barbara (edited 09-29-99).]

Re: One more new story - 10/24/99 04:47 PM

Maybe if I put up a picture somebody will notice this here story I writ.

Posted by: Kay

Re: One more new story - 10/24/99 10:39 PM

Oh, dear, Barbara is talking to herself.

Well, I clicked on the URL and read ALL the stuff about what's coming up (especially the part about Good King ).

I liked the reviewer who said "Barbara Paul writes to please herself."

I'd say that was the secret of good writing in any genre. That is, assuming that the writer has intelligent taste....as Barbara obviously does.

I added that last because it occurs to me that the web is cluttered with people publishing on line some of the most deplorable gibberish, which, presumably, pleases them, as it cannot possibly please anyone else.

Re: One more new story - 10/25/99 09:38 AM

Thank you, Kay. I feel better now.

Re writing to please one's self: did you ever see Anthony Burgess's description of his ideal reader? "A failed musician, a lapsed Catholic, a man of about my age who's read the same things I have read..." In short, himself. Ha.

Re: One more new story - 10/25/99 10:50 AM

Since my published work has all consisted of stuff in newspapers and other periodicals (as opposed to hard or soft covers) I can only add that many times when what I had written really pleased me, it usually seemed to please the readers (and ocassionally to offend the kind of people one LOVES to offend....if everybody liked it you had to figure they were missing the point).

I know, though, that all authors run into editors, as I occasionally did, who are determined to alter sentence structure and sometimes content. I ended up changing some things back when I put them on the web.

I once took a poetry class in which the instructor was given to taking your poem and rewriting it in his own style.

I didn't mind being told to "refine", but I really resented getting papers back with a completely different poem, keeping little more than the title, and being told "This is what your poem should say."

How the hell did he know?

Incidentally, the worst piece of editing (or censorship) I ever ran into was a poem I wrote during one of the high gas price times, including something about gas prices being

so scary
They're only in reach of Jackie and Ari

The final lines, as best I can recall, were
something about staying home and kissing and hugging:

It's cheaper that gas is,
And, as for OPEC, they can kiss their Onassis

The poem appeared in toto in the first edition of the paper. All subsequent editions were missing the last line, which was deemed "not suitable for a family newspaper."
Posted by: Ree

Re: One more new story - 10/25/99 06:58 PM

*snort* I always admire a piece of clever wordplay, meself, rather than try to censor it. Fairly good chance it woulda gone straight over most readers' heads anyway, sadly.

As noted in the current Botticelli game, I'm on a Rex Stout rereading binge. The current set of reprints has "a little something extra" to them, such as slivers of Stout's correspondence to his publishers.

In the back of Please Pass the Guilt is a letter addressed "To the Viking Copy Editor" which reads, in part,

"Dr. Johnson said it: 'Such excess of stupidity is not in nature.' So you think Archie Goodwin should write and talk like a grade-school English teacher? Having written nearly three million of his words I know quite well how he handles them. Not a single word of the changes you suggest makes any sense. ... If I am hurting your feelings, that's fine. They certainly should be hurt."

Piers Anthony once reprinted one of his books with all the copyediting intact...as well as all his own personal opinions about the copyediting, which actually made for far better reading than the book did.

Re: One more new story - 10/25/99 07:57 PM

Years ago,in New Orleans, my mother had a friend who had a friend who knew Hemingway.

In his possession was a copy of, I think, A Farewell to Arms...certainly something that preceded For Whom the Bell Tolls in which the obscenities were replaced by the word "obscenity." (My favorite line: "I obscenity on you, obscene son of a Spanish obscenity."

This one has blanks where the editors thought the language was too rough. EH had gone through his friend's copy and carefully filled in every blank.

I never got to see it, but my mother did.

Wherever that copy is, it must be worth a fortune!

[This message has been edited by Kay (edited 10-25-99).]