Any more Marian Larch stories?

Posted by: Anonymous

Any more Marian Larch stories? - 09/02/00 02:07 PM

Hi--I'm in process of doing a Desert Island Keeper review of the Larch/Holland stories for the website All About Romance (www.likesbooks.com). My ulterior motive is I'd like them to reach a wider audience so there will be another one! It won't affect my review to know if the series is definitely closed, but will probably affect the way that I close my review.

I appreciated the villains' names in Clean Sweep.

Mary Novak
Posted by: Barbara

Re: Any more Marian Larch stories? - 09/02/00 04:36 PM

Hello, Mary. I'm sorry to tell you, but the series is definitely ended. Wish it weren't so, but 'tis.

Armstrong and Winstead? Or Winstrong and Armstead?  

Re: Any more Marian Larch stories? - 09/02/00 05:51 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Barbara:
[B]Hello, Mary. I'm sorry to tell you, but the series is definitely ended. Wish it weren't so, but 'tis.

Sorry to hear it--it's the finale for so many old friends. Now I'm curious: FFM ends, after all, with the two of them metaphorically sailing into the sunset together. But a note at the end said you were working on another installment. At the time you were writing it, did you know/suspect that the series was ending?

Mary

Re: Any more Marian Larch stories? - 09/03/00 08:20 AM

I had my suspicions, but Scribner's wholesale cutting of the midlist caught me by surprise. It may have caught Scribner by surprise, too; it was Simon & Schuster that ordered the cuts. That "working on the next installment" is just a phrase that the publisher slotted into all its flap copy -- it was part of a template. Not intended to deceive, I'm sure, just something done during the rush of production.

It's a pity, because I had at least two more books in mind before I'd be ready to wind down the series. For one thing, I'd been building up to a showdown between Marian and Captain DiFalco, but now that will never be written.
Posted by: Kay

Re: Any more Marian Larch stories? - 09/03/00 01:10 PM

Oh, come on Barbara.....let's have the showdown, even if it's just a short story.

Re: Any more Marian Larch stories? - 09/03/00 11:00 PM

That showdown wouldn't fit into a short story. Oh, I had big plans, I did.
Posted by: Julia

Re: Any more Marian Larch stories? - 09/04/00 05:58 PM

Rats
Apart from the obvious reasons to do with Holand; yes, I'd have liked to see more, if only to see the showdown between Marion and deFalco. That slimeball doesn't deserve to get away with it.
Posted by: Scribbler

Re: Any more Marian Larch stories? - 09/07/00 04:50 PM

Hmmm, Barbara.

Maybe you should consider the e-publishing option. Pull a Stephen King.

How many interested parties, at what cost, would it take to get you to write us that confrontation?

I'd cough up my pennies for it.

Re: Any more Marian Larch stories? - 09/07/00 09:10 PM

Great idea, Scrib....She's already got a site and has some stories on it.

Re: Any more Marian Larch stories? - 09/08/00 12:35 PM

That might be worth doing if I had Stephen King's following. But what I had in mind was to use two full books to complete the story. In the first Marian would prevent DeFalco from doing something that would leave him and the NYPD open to a lawsuit. Instead of being grateful to Marian for saving his neck (a nice-person response), he would resent her all the more for showing him up. Since they no longer work out of the same precinct, he can't get at her that way. So he starts a campaign to discredit her with the higher-ups in the NYPD, laying behind-the-scenes traps for her. All of this would be only a secondary plot, running behind the main plot of the mystery (to keep the conflict from becoming just another in-house squabble). But the first book would end with Marian's understanding that DeFalco is no longer just a thorn in her side but a declared enemy and she'd better do something about it. The second book would show what she does.

Now, all that's a lot of work. And I'm not willing to invest two years of my life in the hope that e-publishing will suddenly become profitable for those of us who aren't Stephen King. And self-publishing is out of the question. As Tony Fennelly so acutely put it, "Paying to have your work published is like going to the prom with your kid brother."

I'd rather just let the whole thing go.
Posted by: Julia

Re: Any more Marian Larch stories? - 09/08/00 04:33 PM

Well, there's always the zine publishers - that's how Chris Boucher's Star Cops novels got published. But not worth it unless you've already written the material and don't want to see it go to waste.

Can I quote the plot summary to the B7 fanfic list, please?

Re: Any more Marian Larch stories? - 09/08/00 09:24 PM

Sigh...as long as you're forthcoming about the Marian/DiFalco plotline, I don't suppose you'd care to outline how things would have evolved between Marian and Holland?

I was particularly curious whether Holland still needed to process the assorted traumas of FFM, or if he'd had enough closure already.

Sigh...it's hard to say goodbye to one of my favorite literary couples; I can only imagine how it must have felt to you.

Mary
Posted by: hilly

Re: Any more Marian Larch stories? - 01/17/08 03:27 PM

Sorry for the "me, too" post, but I also would have liked to have had an opportunity see how Holland recovered after FFM.

And I would have liked to have spent more time with Marion and Holland.

But, Barbara, I hope that you are glad that your older works are still being discovered by new readers, such as I!

Re: Any more Marian Larch stories? - 01/17/08 11:06 PM

Where in the world are you "new" readers finding them? I'm involved in an annual used book sale and I don't think we've ever had a Barbara Paul pass through our hands. People who've bought them obviously keep them!
Posted by: hilly

Re: Any more Marian Larch stories? - 01/18/08 01:30 AM

Well, as you asked:

If you won't tell, I'll admit that I'm finding the books in the usual places (Please keep it on the QT, as I've already read enough forum threads to know Barbara's opinion of libraries and 2nd-hand shops!), and I am grateful to those resources for preserving her works until I became aware of them.

I found out about Barbara last week via the Avon and Holland page, and immediately interlibrary loan requested the Marian Larch series. I picked up YHTRTRS, FP and FFM from the library on Saturday, and (fortuitously!) bought TAT while visiting a library book sale later that day (it was the only book they had by Barbara, or I'd have purchased more).

Then I had myself a little Marian Larch festival from Sat evening to Monday morning. ;-)

I've since been searching out (all) Barbara's other books so that I can enjoy those, too. The toughest one to obtain may turn out to be "Clean Sweep" in "A New York State of Crime".

Meanwhile, I am re-reading the ones I have, and really savoring them. (Though, I admit that if one reads them all at once, one notices little continuity glitches -- or at least, questions. FWIW.)

P.S. - My other favorite mystery authors include (but are not limited to): G.Heyer, D.L.Sayers, P.D.James.