movie???

Posted by: Anonymous

movie??? - 06/13/02 11:51 AM

First, let me say that I amm thrilled to be able to actually communicate with one of my favorite authors! I am half in love with Holland (who, not having ever seen Blakes 7, I couldn't quite picture, but I HEAR Tommy Lee Jones' voice and attitude)and wish I could just chat with Marion over coffee.
My neice and I were wondering...has there ever been any discussion of a possible Larch movie?
Posted by: Barbara

Re: movie??? - 06/13/02 01:01 PM

Hello, Darkovan. A movie? There were a few nibbles, but nothing ever came of them. And one production company was toying with the idea of turning the books into a TV series, but nothing came of that, either. If it hasn't happened by now, it's not likely to happen at all.

Tommy Lee Jones, huh? Hadn't thought of him. Yesterday someone told me she'd cast Dick Powell in the part. (She doesn't like Holland.)
Posted by: Scribbler

Re: movie??? - 06/13/02 03:34 PM

Oh, I don't know, Barbara. If I ever get the right break, I'd certainly pitch the Marion Larch books to A&E as a string of TV movies.

I'm not in that position *this* year... but in Hollywood, who knows what will happen next?
Posted by: Kay

Re: movie??? - 06/13/02 03:54 PM

Be a good series for Mystery, too. Not long ago they were making up NEW Cordelia Gray stories that P.D. James never thought about....I think they did the same with Morse.

There's a wealth of good material out there, including Larch, although I'd really, really love to see the Caruso stories dramatized, as well.
Posted by: Rita

Re: movie??? - 06/13/02 05:23 PM

Ah, but who would play Caruso? Any good-looking brunette could play Farrar, but who's ugly and charming enough to play Caruso?

For that matter, who'd play Marian?

Re: movie??? - 06/13/02 09:31 PM

A younger version of Kathy Bates, or maybe Frances McDormand for Marian.

Caruso can be dubbed so it doesn't have to be a REAL tenor. Now there's got to be an actor who could, if necessary, put on a few pounds.
Posted by: Lorna

Re: movie??? - 06/13/02 09:39 PM

No, of course it wouldn't be a real tenor; all the singing would have to be dubbed. But I can't think of an actor for the part.

Maybe a younger Frances McDormand for Marian...maybe. But not Kathy Bates. A good actress, but not Marian.

Re: movie??? - 06/13/02 10:41 PM

Oh, the Caruso books have *also* been on my mind. But since they're costume/period stuff, my thinking is, first, sell the market (ie, A&E) on Marion - and *then* mention other stuff by the same author.

Hehe.

As for actors.... if done relatively soon... for Caruso, John Rhys-Davies. (He might be on the tall side for Caruso... but oh, well).

Re: movie??? - 06/14/02 09:21 AM

John Rhys-Davies twenty years ago, and he would have been marvelous. But he's pushing 60 now, and Caruso was 42 in A Cadenza for Caruso. Too big a difference.

For Marian, an Amy Madigan type would do well, IMO. Madigan herself is a little too old now, I think, but someone like her. Intense and not glamorous.

Darkovan, you started all this. Did you have someone in mind?

Re: movie??? - 06/14/02 11:24 AM

Whoops, my arithmetic is bad; Caruso would have been 37 in Cadenza, which is set in 1910. He was born in 1873.

Re: movie??? - 06/14/02 12:07 PM

You know you're getting older when....

.... you calculate actors' ages, come up with high numbers, and your only thought is "My, how time flies!"
Posted by: Mary

Re: movie??? - 06/14/02 12:45 PM

Tommy Lee Jones as Holland? I can't see it. He was never pretty.

You need someone like Ben Affleck in 20 years. As for Marian, hm. Frances McDormand would work. Is she really too old? Or is this just me, reading the books and assuming that Marian is my age (44)?

Re: movie??? - 06/16/02 04:02 PM

How about Martha Plimpton as Marian? In a dark wig.

Re: movie??? - 06/17/02 09:58 PM

That's not a bad choice at all. She's not conventionally pretty, and she's wiry and intense. And she's about the right age (except that nobody really knows how old Marian is). I pictured someone more solid than Martha Plimpton while I was reading, but she would do very well.

Re: movie??? - 06/18/02 07:59 AM

No, not Martha Plimpton; she's too skinny. In The Renewable Virgin there's a scene narrated by Fiona, the college professor, in which she marvels at the way Kelly can eat and still stay slender. Then she thinks that Marian looks like a person who would put on five pounds if someone said the word "chocolate" in her presence. So Marian isn't skinny. I guess Frances McDormand has the right body type, but I just can't see her as Marian. Too matronly.

Dang it, Barbara, how old is Marian?

Re: movie??? - 06/18/02 11:19 AM

I'd planned on having Marian turn 40 in Full Frontal Murder and even wrote some scenes about it. But her birthday got in the way of the story; there's a lot going on in that book, and the trauma of facing the Big Four-Oh simply didn't belong there. There was no place for it. So I cut all references to her birthday, planning to include the event in the next book. But of course there was no next book; so that leaves Marian, like Jack Benny, perpetually 39 years old.

Re: movie??? - 06/19/02 11:31 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Barbara:
Darkovan, you started all this. Did you have someone in mind?

Weeellll. Not really, but I think that Sandra Bullock might pull it off. As for Holland, I didn't SEE Tommy Lee Jones. More like Pierce Brosnan's looks with Jones' ATTITUDE.

Re: movie??? - 06/19/02 12:11 PM

Well, at least we know how old Marian is now. Sandra Bullock might manage in another ten years, if she doesn't get stuck in the romantic comedy niche the way Meg Ryan did. Right now Bullock is cute and likable, not generally the traits you expect to find in a NYPD detective. But that may change by the time she reaches forty.

About Martha Plimpton -- she was skinny back when she was playing all those sullen adolescent roles. But in Showtime's attempt at reviving The Defenders, she'd pretty much lost that anorexic look. I haven't seen her for a couple of years, though.
Posted by: Jon

Re: movie??? - 06/19/02 01:03 PM

Martha Plimpton is still slender-framed (though, as you say, not anorexic in the popular Hollywood manner). I saw her play Laura in The Glass Menagerie in Chicago a couple years ago.

A while back I suggested Lindsay Crouse for Marian; she's versatile enough to play almost anything, seems about the right age range. She has played glamorous on occasion, but has no vanity about playing plain (and her face isn't a conventionally "pretty" one).

Caruso's a tough one. Nathan Lane is the right idea -- chubby, outrageous but lovable, larger than life -- but he'd need to be put through the 200% or 300% setting on the enlarger first.

But I love the challenge of casting remembered real-life people, just to see how the "equivalents" work from one generation to another. That was the appeal of Chaplin for instance (Kevin Kline as Douglas Fairbans, yes indeed). I always thought Julie Andrews should have had the chance to play Irene Dunne in some biopic too. Now who's Rosa Ponselle and Emmy Destinn?

Re: movie??? - 06/19/02 01:37 PM

Nathan Lane had crossed my mind as a possible Caruso. But I didn't put him at the top of the list -- not for reasons of size, though.

I'm not sure how to describe it -- Lane just strikes me as majorly *nice*. He doesn't have quite the unconscious egotism I'd picture for Caruso. On the other hand, he *is* an actor, so.....
Posted by: cookie-lady

Re: movie??? - 06/19/02 01:38 PM

I don't go to the movies, but this would be one movie you would not be able to keep me away from, or my husband (who incidentally keeps bugging me as to when there will be another Barbara Paul book out) I think it stinks that they ended the Marian Larch series. I loved those books, as did my husband.

Pierce Brosnan as Holland - definitely!! Swoooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Posted by: Mike

Re: movie??? - 06/19/02 05:25 PM

My wife says Debra Winger should play Marian.

Re: movie??? - 06/20/02 01:04 PM

Debra Winger, yeah. Good idea. Pierce Brosnan, I don't know. He's not quite right. (Which is to say he doesn't ring my bell!)

Gary Oldman, maybe? Or David Straithairn.

Re: movie??? - 06/21/02 07:47 PM

Barbara, you've been quiet about expressing a preference. She's your character -- can you see any of these suggested actresses as Marian?

Re: movie??? - 06/22/02 09:15 AM

Yes, I can. Lindsay Crouse would be my first choice. I like Lindsay Crouse; I like her a lot. But even in her "plain" mode, she's a little more elegant than I think Marian should be. Nevertheless, she has the authority and the presence a police lieutenant should have, and she'd make an excellent Marian.

My second choices would be Debra Winger and Martha Plimpton. Winger is too pretty and Plimpton too thin, and neither has that built-in authority that Crouse possesses; but as far as acting is concerned, either one of them could carry it off.

Holland is a different matter. I admit that now I have trouble seeing anyone other than Paul Darrow in the role -- but the Paul Darrow of 1970. I don't know any current actor in the right age range with the right qualities: British, acerbic, and immensely attractive. I suppose Pierce Brosnan comes closest, but he's a lightweight; someone with "stage weight" is needed, like Patrick McGoohan in his forties. I just can't think of anyone.

Re: movie??? - 06/22/02 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barbara:
British, acerbic, and immensely attractive
I can think of someone who fits - but I guess I'm too old, Barbara . But surely Holland isn't British? OK, Paul Darrow is, but I don't recall any suggestion in the books that Holland is anything other than an American.

Some miscellaneous suggestions, if you're serious about "British" (including Irish): Jude Law? Rufus Sewell? Dylan Moran? Nathaniel Parker? Steven Mackintosh? David Morrissey? Mark Rylance? Gabriel Byrne? John Hannah?

Re: movie??? - 06/22/02 11:50 AM

British by birth; who knows what he is now? In one of the books I had Holland say he was born in London, but I didn't make anything out of it. Just a statement.

Of the actors you list, the only one I'm familiar with is Gabriel Byrne.

Re: movie??? - 06/22/02 08:53 PM

I've been trying to visualize Gabriel Byrne as Holland and it just isn't working. Too soulful. Not snippy enough. Something.

Re: movie??? - 06/22/02 10:14 PM

Not sexy enough.
Posted by: Julia

Re: movie??? - 06/22/02 11:34 PM

Paul Darrow circa 1970? He was 29 in 1970, and I "see" Holland as older than that. i.e. about the same age as Paul Darrow when he was playing Avon ten years later...

I picked up from the books that Holland is British, but then I came to the books because I'd been told that I should go read about this Avon avatar, and that's influenced my view of Holland right from the start.

Irritatingly, I can think of a couple of British actors who might suit, but I've completely blanked on their names. Can see and hear them, but not remember who they are. Unfortunately most of the ones I'd like and whose names I *can* remember are probably too old by now.

Re: movie??? - 06/23/02 05:35 AM

What about Colin "Mr Darcey" Firth?

Re: movie??? - 06/23/02 07:32 AM

Arrggh, I meant 1980. Got my decades mixed up. Julia...remember those names. I'm with Rita and Lorna re Gabriel Byrne.

Colin Firth? I'd prefer an actor with an IQ above 80.

Re: movie??? - 06/23/02 11:30 AM

Hugh Jackman, who was the only good thing in "Kate and Leopold"?

Re: movie??? - 06/23/02 05:57 PM

Being repetitive, but David Straithairn.

Re: movie??? - 06/24/02 10:39 AM

"Immensely attractive"??? Mary, you and I have different ideas of what "attractive" means.

The name "Hugh Jackman" meant nothing to me so I looked him up in IMDB. It seems he's been in two things I've seen, but I don't remember him from either of them.

Re: movie??? - 06/24/02 12:13 PM

I was not familiar with Jackman either until I rented "Kate and Leopold." He is the only reason to see that movie. Check out my comments over in Show Biz.

Re: movie??? - 06/24/02 04:05 PM

Wish I could remember a few names. Might have to have a browse through the casting threads on the Lyst, but the trouble is that Paul Darrow made the role so much his own that I've never been able to see anyone else in the role - and that's transferred to Holland to some extent.

Colin Firth is in the "if we can't find anyone better" class, as far as I'm concerned. I wouldn't rule him out, but there must be better available. Ditto Pierce Brosnan. Rowan Atkinson has the personality but not the looks (I'm thinking Blackadder here, not Mr Bean ).

Here's a thought - Stephen Pacey matured into someone who might do very well in the role for anyone who isn't going to sit there thinking "Tarrant". He's fortyish now, and filled out into something less of a beanpole - and is not a bad actor. I haven't seen him in a substantial enough role to be able to judge whether he'd have the presence needed, though.

Re: movie??? - 06/24/02 04:10 PM

Rummaging on IMDB - maybe John Hannah, who amongst other things was in Four Weddings And A Funeral, and who played the lead in McCallim.

Re: movie??? - 06/24/02 05:02 PM

Stephen Pacey! Now there's a thought. Does he still have curls? Holland would never have curls.

Re: movie??? - 06/24/02 09:33 PM

How about

Rupert Everett?

[This message has been edited by Kay (edited 06-24-2002).]

Re: movie??? - 06/26/02 11:54 AM

Ah, Rupert! He has a lot of charm. I wouldn't mind seeing pictures of all those actors on Andrew's list that I don't know -- plus John Hannah, also unfamiliar to me. I'm going to have to go Google Image searching.

Re: movie??? - 06/26/02 03:13 PM

Actually I found Everett on IMDB....they now have images on a lot of the performer pages, and links to others.

John Hannah

[This message has been edited by Kay (edited 06-26-2002).]

Re: movie??? - 06/26/02 04:00 PM

Ah! The flakey brother of the heroine in the recent MUMMY movies!

Although I'm sure he can do serious roles as well.

Re: movie??? - 06/26/02 04:05 PM

As well as appearing in 4WaaF (reading the Auden poem), Hannah was the love-interest in "Sliding Doors". On TV, he played an investigating pathologist, or some such, in a crime/medical series (not my cup of tea, so I can't remember the title or the job).

Re: movie??? - 06/28/02 01:31 PM

I've been looking up pictures of the actors on Andrew's list, and to my embarrassment I find I'm familiar with all of them except one. I just did a terrible job of remembering names.

Certainly I should have remembered the name Jude Law, from The Talented Mr. Ripley if nothing else. He definitely has the striking good looks and the poise I like to pretend Holland has. But, alas, he's about ten years too young.

So is Dylan Moran, who's really a comic actor and not very pretty to boot. The only thing I've seen him in is Notting Hill; currently he's making or just finished making a comic-caper movie with Michael Caine called The Actors. But he's not Holland.

Rufus Sewell is 35, but he has a rough-life look to him that makes him appear older and might do very well. He was Fortinbras in the Branagh Hamlet, and he was also in A Knight's Tale (which I gave up on pretty quickly). I'd like to see him in something else.

Nathaniel Parker fits the bill pretty well. He's the right age, and while he doesn't fall into the "conventionally handsome" category, he is attractive. And he was an impressive Rochester in Wide Sargasso Sea. Not the same "type" as Paul Darrow, but that would be too much to hope for.

David Morrissey is the right age too...but. I've seen him in a number of things -- Drowning by Numbers, Hilary and Jackie, The Suicide Club. This is undoubtedly petty of me, but I just don't like his looks or his manner. The guy's a real turn-off. It's a personal antipathy.

Also in the right age bracket is Mark Rylance, whom I've seen in a few British TV shows that have been aired here. He was in Prospero's Books, but I don't remember him in that. He can put on a good, intense manner when he needs to, but he's rather ordinary looking. And he'd need to wear a hairpiece.

The one actor on the list I don't know is 35-year old Steven Macintosh. He's done TV mostly, only a few movies. The only photo I could find showed a brooding, handsome man who was certainly projecting the right attitude for Holland. But you can't tell what kind of actor a man is from looking at his picture.

On the whole, I'd say Nathaniel Parker was probably the best bet, followed by Rufus Sewell. With the door left open for Steven Macintosh.

Re: movie??? - 06/29/02 09:43 AM

Nathaniel Parker was Rochester? Yes, I remember him quite well. Completely different type from Paul Darrow, but I can see him in the role. A real possibility! Wow, didn't think that would happen.

Re: movie??? - 06/30/02 07:42 AM

Isn't he kind of lantern-jawed?

Re: movie??? - 06/30/02 08:37 PM

I'm going to offer no opinion at all. This is a casting decision that clearly must be left up to women.

Re: movie??? - 07/01/02 08:34 AM

Oh. ChrisW is a man. I made an assumption I shouldn't have -- sorry, Chris.

Re: movie??? - 07/01/02 02:21 PM

He should be used to it....it's been "assumed" before. "Chris" after all is gender neutral....not sure if we have anybody else with an ambivalent name.

Re: movie??? - 07/01/02 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barbara:
The one actor on the list I don't know is 35-year old Steven Macintosh. He's done TV mostly, only a few movies. The only photo I could find showed a brooding, handsome man who was certainly projecting the right attitude for Holland. But you can't tell what kind of actor a man is from looking at his picture.
I've mostly seen him on TV, He was a quietish John Rokesmith/Harmon in the last BBC adaptation of Our Mutual Friend (with David Morrissey very effective as the frustrated Bradley headstone). Mackintosh also made a convincing transsexual in the film Different for Girls, but has certainly played harder roles of one sort and another.

Here's a site with a picture gallery: http://lavender.fortunecity.com/fullmonty/482/stevenm.htm

Also, there's the League of Obscure British Actors site, with all sorts of other possibilities, e.g. Ioan (Hornblower) Gruffudd, and another actor I'd forgotten about - Jack Davenport from a very enjoyable TV series about young lawyers called This Life.

http://www.ar.com.au/~jriddler/ba/league.html

(Some of those actors are really not very obscure ... Sean Connery, for example).

Re: movie??? - 07/02/02 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lorna:
Oh. ChrisW is a man. I made an assumption I shouldn't have -- sorry, Chris.
You did me a favor, Lorna; you helped me make up my mind. This is the second time this has happened within a week, and it happened a few times before that as well. "Chris" is just too androgynous an ID, so I'm going to change it. I need to re-register here, right? But the next time you see me, I'll be Christopher. (Nobody calls me Christopher.)

Re: movie??? - 07/02/02 09:39 PM

Nobody calls me Kathryn, either, Chris and I have known at least one man named "Kay" and one GIRL named "Christopher" and a girl named Kathryn and a guy named Christopher who were both called "Kit."

In fact, I knew a couple named Kit and King....Kit was the "he" and King was the "she."

But you can try
Posted by: Christopher

Re: movie??? - 07/02/02 10:01 PM

I am reborn.

Re: movie??? - 07/03/02 06:33 AM

Ha. We should have a christening party.

Re: movie??? - 07/03/02 03:16 PM

Posted by: Christopher

Re: movie??? - 07/03/02 03:47 PM

Just what I need! Thank you, Kay.
Posted by: Jon

Re: movie??? - 07/03/02 04:31 PM

Of course there are a couple of well-known actresses named Christopher, but one can only do so much. I think it's fair to say that our default assumption about a Christopher is male.

One of my sisters-in-law is named Kristi (that's her full given name, her father came from Norway), sometimes called Kris. She married my brother Rick, and their first son is Erik. When they had a second, they wanted to call him Kristopher (keeping up the K theme, and also honoring the Norwegian spelling which they like), but hesitated because people might call him Chris, the same as his mother, and he'd probably hate that. But thenthey decided he'd be called Kit for short, which we all like, so that was OK and Kristopher he is.

Except now, at the age of 7, he's declared that he hates "Kit" and demands to be called by his middle name (same as mine), Alan. He's stuck with it for over a year, so I guess he means it.

Re: movie??? - 07/03/02 04:44 PM

I know one Christopher who dislikes being called "Chris" as well. His solution is to be called "Topher".

Re: movie??? - 07/04/02 09:46 PM

Topher? Rhymes with Gopher?

Oh, dear.