Good news for Geraldine Farrar fans

Posted by: Barbara

Good news for Geraldine Farrar fans - 03/03/03 11:56 PM

I received this letter yesterday:
Dear Ms. Paul,

What a pleasure it has been for me in recent years to discover your mysteries...particulary the Opera Mysteries, which will always have a special place in my heart. I have to say that Prima Donna at Large is my particular favorite, and that because for many years I have been a collector of historical recordings. It was a road that Miss Farrar herself set me on! As a kid in Junior High School in 1963 I wrote her a fan letter, and her immediate response and encouragement were a tonic for my new found hobby.

I wanted to share with you that I am helping to sponsor, along with noted collector and sound restoration expert Ward Marston, the release of a 2-CD set entitled Geraldine Farrar: The Beginning and End of a Great Career which will cover all her Berlin recordings from 1904-1906 as well as all the unpublished electrical recordings from the 1920's and the Bell Laboratory tests from 1934. The set is scheduled to be released on this label, Marston Records, in June of this year.

Thank you again for your wonderful novels and stories. May you continue among us for a long, long time!

Your fellow opera fan,

Nathan B. Davis,
Associate Producer
Filmworks Northwest
I checked http://www.marstonrecords.com -- very limited and specialized catalogue, and only 1000 pressings are made of each release. There's an advance-order page, but it doesn't include the June release yet.

I'm quite curious about the 1934 Bell Laboratory tests, although I imagine her voice was better in the 1920 recordings. And I wonder where these recordings have been sitting all this time. I think I'll ask Mr. Davis.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Good news for Geraldine Farrar fans - 03/04/03 06:03 AM

Looks quite exciting!

Ward Marston (who, I think, is blind) is very well-respected among those who know for his transfers of early material to CD.