Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1016 - 05/13/01 11:13 AM Re: THE BIZ
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't believe I have ever run across "Print on demand". Is this an online phenomenon? If so, where?

#1017 - 05/13/01 02:31 PM Re: THE BIZ
Rita Offline

Loc: St. Paul, MN
Not really, no. POD publishers maintain web sites just like other publishers, but you can order a POD book from a bookstore and bypass teh Internet completely.

Pete, you might want to take a look at Lightning Source, the printer Barbara mentioned: http://www.lightningsource.com/bookseller.html . Click on "Participating Publishers" and scroll down to the "U" section; quite a few universities are beginning to use POD instead of traditional publishing.

#1018 - 05/13/01 09:14 PM Re: THE BIZ
Julia Offline

Loc: Silicon Valley
Quote:
But so far owners have been reluctant to do so; the technology is still too new, I guess

I gather that one of the differences with POD is that typically POD publishers don't accept returns for credit whereas traditional publishers do, so the bookseller who buys a POD on spec runs the risk of being stuck for the wholesale price of the book.

#1019 - 05/13/01 10:40 PM Re: THE BIZ
Bob Offline

Loc: New York, NY
I guess POD is a consequence of changing tax laws. It used to be that tax on books in terms of profit was upon the point of sale. The laws changed and now, supposedly, it is considered profit upon being printed. Books held in inventory are taxed. Imagine that. What a creative bunch of vultures these predators are. Barbara, your next novel has to have something horrible happen to the IRS. Please. Ha ha. No, I am not talking about anything like McVeigh... God forbid. I'd just love to see a pencil-pushing, IRS geek drawn out as a character. Done before? Probably. Nobody loves the taxman.

#1020 - 05/13/01 11:13 PM Re: THE BIZ
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Rita:
Not really, no. POD publishers maintain web sites just like other publishers, but you can order a POD book from a bookstore and bypass teh Internet completely.

Pete, you might want to take a look at Lightning Source, the printer Barbara mentioned: http://www.lightningsource.com/bookseller.html . Click on "Participating Publishers" and scroll down to the "U" section; quite a few universities are beginning to use POD instead of traditional publishing.

I must be dense. What does one actually do to purchase a PID book? The Web site you give appears to be information on the company, but no information on how to go about purchasing.

#1021 - 05/14/01 02:07 AM Re: THE BIZ
Scribbler Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA USA
"Nobody loves the taxman"?

I'm not so sure about that.

I have a friend who's a IRS auditor.... and he's a very nice guy. His wife is a good friend.

#1022 - 05/14/01 03:07 AM Re: THE BIZ
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Pete G.:
I must be dense. What does one actually do to purchase a PID book? The Web site you give appears to be information on the company, but no information on how to go about purchasing.
It's quite easy, Pete. Go to amazon.com, type "good king sauerkraut" into the search box and hit Go. Then click on the title to get to the GKS page. Then add it to your shopping cart, etc., etc. Amazon will then issue an order to Scrivenery, who will print and bind it, and the book should be shipped to you within 2-3 days (it says).

Barbara, I see that a nice person called S Berner has rated GKS as a 5-star read. Also that a signed first edition of one of your books is available ....

#1023 - 05/14/01 09:20 AM Re: THE BIZ
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Loc: Citrus Heights, CA , US
Julia -- yes, that's a major problem (no returns). Scrivenery accepts returns, but I don't think many other POD publishers do.

Bob -- what you're thinking of is the Thor Power Tools ruling. For years Thor kept old useless machinery around to list as inventory, until the IRS got a court ruling saying inventories were no longer deductible. That meant all inventories in all businesses, including books in warehouses awaiting shipping, remaindering, or trashing. Thor immediately broke up its old machinery and listed the bits and pieces as deductible spare parts...which are not considered inventory. The publishing industry followed suit and started storing books and covers separately -- "spare parts" that are assembled before shipping. The Thor Power Tools ruling punished everybody for one company's abuses.

Pete, you'd said you didn't know anything about POD, so Rita was showing you how it worked. Lightning Source (not "Press"; I got that wrong) is the printer that POD publishers use, not a publisher itself. You order books through bookstores, either online or off, or directly from the publisher. Andrew directed you to Amazon; upstream I posted the publisher's URL for ordering Good King Sauerkraut. The price listed at both places is the same, $16.95 for a trade paperback. The difference is that Scrivenery's price includes shipping; Amazon will slap another five bucks on top of the list price.

And bless S. Berner, whoever he or she may be.

#1024 - 05/15/01 07:30 AM Re: THE BIZ
Bob Offline

Loc: New York, NY
[QUOTE]Bob -- what you're thinking of is the Thor Power Tools ruling.

Yes, you are probably correct. I half knew about this principle. I just know it was yet another example of government being anti-business. How they write tax rules is beyond me. Tax simplification? Where?

Another book arrived today. The title is "The 17th Stair". Memories? Ha ha. It was written, or at least copyright dated 1975. I will get a kick out of reading one of your early titles. I think it will be interesting to see what you did in this genre. It is one not usually read by men... at least until it is labeled "classic" and moves from Harlequin imprint.

As I get older, I get more flexible. I'm living a love story, so why not read one? It has all the standard features one might expect. Romance novels have to have a man and woman embracing in one way, shape or form on the cover. The steamier ones have her bent over backwards in an embrace. These are books I call chiropractic novels as no woman I ever knew wanted to be held this way... few that I met anyway.

I must still have an old fuddy-duddy strain. I will read it with a book cover in place.

Bob

#1025 - 05/15/01 01:21 PM Re: THE BIZ
Scribbler Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA USA
Ah ha! You haven't checked out our Barbara's front page then?

The romance novelist Barbara Paul is not our goodly hostess, but another writer.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Barbara