Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1065 - 08/01/01 04:55 PM Unsolicited Praise and Blather
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok I am not meaning to be irrelevant and redundant here, but I just finished reading "Fare Play" and renewed my enjoyment of all Barbara Paul's works. I have been reading books by her for years and years, own most of them in beat up paperback copies. Enrico Caruso mysteries, 2 old science fiction novels, The Fourth Wall, He was already dead when I got here, and many others.

Mostly I read science fiction, though there are a few mystery authors I have always enjoyed. Besides Barbara Paul, I'd include Lawrence Block, Donald Westlake, Peter Dickinson, Edmund Crispin, and a few others... some too prolific but a lot of their books are fun (Aaron Marc Stein for example) and others too limited but still excellent (Orania Papazouglou and her romance novel industry mysteries... gosh I wish there were more of those...)

I was frustrated on Amazon.com when the nearly 300 listings of books that I got clicking on "Books by Paul, Barbara" were by various other people including Barbara Kingsolver and William Shakespeare (no kidding - try it). However, the link to the author interview which said she had her own large website brought me here and I'm so glad!

It's great when authors I've been reading for so many years can be found on the web. I've got excellent information from the web about such various favorites as Sylvia Engdahl, Diana Wynne Jones, Neil Gaiman and Daniel Keys Moran. And now Barbara Paul

I was also interested to see that people were discussing Blakes 7 on here. One of my roommates in college had the entire series on videotape so I was able to watch it from beginning to end... bizarre but fun stuff. And of course so I know who Avon is. Now I need an idea what actors or whatever the other characters look like. Kelly for example

#1066 - 08/01/01 09:20 PM Re: Unsolicited Praise and Blather
Kay Offline

Loc: Roanoke, VA , USA
YOu've come to the right place. I love Peter Dickinson.....and we have an absolute Donald Westlake nut around here....

Jon, are you there?

#1067 - 08/01/01 09:46 PM Re: Unsolicited Praise and Blather
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Loc: Citrus Heights, CA , US
Hello, Merigold; welcome. About Kelly's looks -- most people read her as a blond, although I don't mention her hair color anywhere in the series. She looks like whatever you want her to look like.

Jon is indeed our chief Westlake nut around here, but I'm a close runner-up. I can't imagine life without Dortmunder.

#1068 - 08/02/01 10:44 PM Re: Unsolicited Praise and Blather
Kay Offline

We discussed Kelly a while back....I was casting Sharon Stone, I think.

I guess I am going to have to give Westlake a look

[This message has been edited by Kay (edited 08-02-2001).]

#1069 - 08/16/01 09:19 PM Re: Unsolicited Praise and Blather
Jon Offline

Loc: Newark, Delaware, USA
Hi, Merigold. I just caught up with this, having been out of town when the thread started, and currently blazing around getting set up for my fall teaching before I play hookey all next week in Seattle (yay!).

Anyway, yes I seem to be the resident Westlake nut here, though not the only one thanks to Our Excellent Preceptress. I *think* I've read just about everything of his, though I know I've missed some short stories and wish he'd do a catchup collection. Among others on your list, I also try to read everything of Peter Dickinson and Edmund Crispin. Also Sarah Caudwell (which is unfortunately all too easy), Robert Barnard, John Dickson Carr, and of course Barbara Paul.

Did you read the new Dortmunder that came out this year? One of his absolutely inspired premises. Alas, this was also the year for another unrecognizable Dortmunder movie adaptation, which I skipped (still, what other character has been played by Robert Redford, George C. Scott, Paul LeMat, Christopher Lambert, AND Martin Lawrence?).

I'm among those who pictured Kelly as a blonde. It seemed to go with the way she got typecast on TV as the ideal golden girl in that first book. (But not a sexpot Loni Anderson type.) But it's true that the books don't pin her appearance down specifically. And now that I think about it, the TV actresses who have at one time or another impressed me as drop-dead gorgeous have all had darker coloring: Lesley-Anne Down, Morgan Brittany, Mel Harris, Sela Ward. So what do I know?

#1070 - 08/19/01 01:24 PM Re: Unsolicited Praise and Blather
Mary Offline

Loc: MN
I've always pictured Kelly as blonde too, mainly, I think because I see her as a counterpoint to Marian, who I see as dark. Is Marian's coloring mentioned?

I do like Westlake, too. Merigold, did you know that Orania Papazoglou is currently writing under the name Jane Haddam? It's a different series, though.

I've realized recently that though I've read Barbara's Marian Larch books and several of the opera ones, I've never read the sci-fi and an thinking I should rectify that. Are these in print?

#1071 - 08/19/01 05:47 PM Re: Unsolicited Praise and Blather
Lorna Offline

Loc: Dayton, Ohio
You're right, Mary. Marian has dark hair. That's mentioned in the book with that wonderful wedding scene -- is that Fare Play?

#1072 - 08/20/01 09:21 AM Re: Unsolicited Praise and Blather
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Loc: Citrus Heights, CA , US
Yes, that's Fare Play. The only reason I mentioned her hair color there was as a concession to readers who wanted to know.

Mary -- the SF novels are all out of print, alas. There are used copies available in various places, but no new ones.

#1073 - 08/20/01 09:41 AM Re: Unsolicited Praise and Blather
Kay Offline

My public library has a good stock of Barbara Paul mysteries.....haven't checked the sci fi though.

#1074 - 08/20/01 11:16 AM Re: Unsolicited Praise and Blather
Rita Offline

Loc: St. Paul, MN
Barbara, I have a question about the inside joke you put in each of your mysteries. Someone told me that in Fare Play, it came in the wedding chapter. Is that true?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Barbara