Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#1099 - 08/22/01 04:47 PM Re: Three down, two to go
Lorna Offline

Loc: Dayton, Ohio
Kay, do you think Sharon Stone was ever a virgin? Much less a renewable one? Kelly is the kind of performer who projects a kind of sweet, open innocence and sexiness at the same time, and that ain't Karen Stone.

Barbara can correct me when she gets back if I'm wrong, but I think the type of starlet Kelly is supposed to be in the first book is more like that youngest blond on Baywatch, Dawn or Summer or something like that. She's wide-eyed and naive, yet she's built like a Centerfold and runs around 95% naked all the time. (Do lifeguards really wear swimsuits like that???) I'm not saying that actress (I don't know her name) would make a good Kelly; she's too bland for Kelly. But I think that's the type of roles Kelly was playing before she got her break.

#1100 - 08/25/01 11:59 AM Re: Three down, two to go
Anonymous
Unregistered

Fare Play

This started out intriguingly - I was reminded of some of George V Higgins's openings. Overall, it was quite a dark book, with cold-blooded contract killings at its centre. The wedding, however, provided just the right amount of light relief, plus I enjoyed the further Marian/Holland developments.

Linguistic question: is "schoolgirl" (Chapter 23) commonly used in the USA for a University student? I realise that "school" is used over there for "university", but hadn't heard "schoolgirl" before. Does "schoolboy" exist? Here, both words are used only for pupils at what we call schools, i.e. places where you are educated up to the age of 16 or 18.

#1101 - 08/25/01 12:45 PM Re: Three down, two to go
Kay Offline

Loc: Roanoke, VA , USA
Been a while since I read fareplay so I do't remember the contest....Barbara can speak for her self, but just from the standpoint of language...."School girl/boy" with or without the space usually refers to per-college level....turns up frequently in phrases like "schoolgirl/boy crush" (is crush used in UK to mean attraction to?)

College women (PLEASE...not "girls") have been called "coeds" from the term "co-educational". It's more or less condescending.

#1102 - 08/27/01 02:01 PM Re: Three down, two to go
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Loc: Citrus Heights, CA , US
About "schoolgirl" -- yes, we're supposed to say "college women" now. But sometimes I forget. I could have said "a young college student".

I think I was just showing my age there; any female under thirty looks like a girl to me.

#1103 - 08/28/01 07:02 PM Re: Three down, two to go
Kay Offline

Loc: Roanoke, VA , USA
Under 30? My 40+ daughter was still getting carded a couple of years ago.

#1104 - 08/28/01 08:34 PM Re: Three down, two to go
Anonymous
Unregistered

My take on "scholgirl" or "schoolboy" is soneone in grade school. I don't know what fits high school students, but it's something else.

There's no rational reason for this particular distinction, and it may in fact be incorrect, as "girl" or "boy" just means a child of the appropriate sex.

#1105 - 09/01/01 02:10 PM Re: Three down, two to go
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Loc: Citrus Heights, CA , US
Lorna, your naive sexpot on Baywatch sounds exactly like the kind of renewable-virgin role I had in mind. USA network is rerunning that show, so I watched four episodes this week. There were three blonds bouncing around, but they were named C.J., Donna, and Neely. No Dawn or Summer.

There were also two dark-haired lifeguards. One was Alexandra Paul ("Stephanie"), whom I remember from a couple of Perry Mason movies only because of her last name. And the other was Yasmine Bleeth ("Caroline"), who I suspect had stopped looking naive by the time she was three years old.

So I don't think I saw the one you were talking about.

#1106 - 09/01/01 04:37 PM Re: Three down, two to go
Rita Offline

Loc: St. Paul, MN
That show had a long run, about 11 or 12 years, so there were bound to be cast changes along the way. I watched maybe half a dozen episodes from either the second or third season, but I remember the character Lorna is talking about; Barbara, you must have watched episodes from later in the run.

The girl's name was Summer, and her mother had a restaurant on the beach which she named after her daughter (The Summer Place). I remember an episode in which Summer woke up in the bed of a male lifeguard with whom she'd spent the night, and she was as dewey and fresh and innocent as the day she was hatched. A very good example of a renewable virgin.

#1107 - 09/01/01 10:03 PM Re: Three down, two to go
Lorna Offline

Loc: Dayton, Ohio
Oh, the restaurant -- that's right; now I remember. The Summer Place. And if I recall correctly, the mother was played by Susan Anton, the only one on the show who could act.

But I don't remember any Donna or Neely, so I guess we did watch episodes from different times. (I bailed out pretty quickly; there's only so much of that stuff you can take.)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Barbara