Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1128 - 10/08/01 08:19 PM Re: "Golden Retriever"
Julia Offline

Loc: Silicon Valley
Circlet says right there on the website that the editor takes 12-18 months to make a decision, so I knew that when I submitted it. I think the problem is that the anthology I submitted it to has been delayed a couple of times, possibly owing to Circlet only publishing the next one when they've sold enough of the last one to cover costs

There aren't that many places I *can* submit it to. Not many editors are interested in 12000 words of homoerotic SF...

#1129 - 10/09/01 09:19 PM Re: "Golden Retriever"
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ho ho! The Reluctant Op returns! Good. I just found this topic, and I'll go out tomorrow to see if the Dec. issue is available yet. Gotta see what Callie gets herself into this time.

#1130 - 10/10/01 09:46 PM Re: "Golden Retriever"
Anonymous
Unregistered

Not available yet, dern.

#1131 - 10/11/01 12:48 AM Re: "Golden Retriever"
Julia Offline

Loc: Silicon Valley
Nor here - the November issue is still out.

#1132 - 10/12/01 04:30 PM Re: "Golden Retriever"
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Loc: Citrus Heights, CA , US
I called a few places today to see when the December issue was expected. A Borders said next week. Pitt Book Center said the first week of November. Barnes & Noble, as usual, didn't have a clue. (And I think the first two were guessing.)

So all I can tell you now is: Not yet.

#1133 - 10/13/01 11:55 AM Re: "Golden Retriever"
Rita Offline

Loc: St. Paul, MN
Oh, that sounds just like Barnes & Noble! Their ads slay me, the ones that say their "knowledgeable staff" will aid in the selection of books. Sometimes I think the B&N clerks haven't read a book since they left school.

And speaking of ads, I'm irritated no end by those TV commercials showing a number of happy people all saying how great it is to work for K-Mart. They're meant to divert attention from the fact that a number of female employees are suing K-Mart on the grounds of discrimination.

How's that for getting off-topic?

#1134 - 10/13/01 04:26 PM Re: "Golden Retriever"
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Loc: Citrus Heights, CA , US
K-Mart has been the target of employee lawsuits since the early 90s; that's when the CEO decided to change the company's "look". He decided to replace all the over-40 women with sweet young things, and the way the branch managers were instructed to go about it is especially disgusting. Women who'd consistently gotten performance ratings of "above average" and "outstanding" suddenly began getting "could do better" and "needs improvement". So when the branch managers fired them, they could point to the performance ratings and say "You've been slipping." The CEO referred to these women as "the old broads" and talked about their body parts in public.

In a different suit, one of the women had worked for K-Mart for 11 years without ever being promoted, in spite of being "Employee of the Month" seven times. Men with one or two years' experience -- some of whom she'd trained -- were promoted over her. And women who dare to lodge a complaint about this treatment are consistently demoted and then fired.

Oh yes, those commercials are very irritating.

#1135 - 10/15/01 10:35 AM Re: "Golden Retriever"
Lorna Offline

Loc: Dayton, Ohio
Ohh. I was wondering why K-Mart was spending all that money to advertise themselves as a good employer. Now it makes sense. What a nasty business.

A local bookseller says EQ usually arrives the last week of the month two months before the cover date. So the December issue should be arriving around Oct. 29th at the earliest.

#1136 - 10/15/01 03:25 PM Re: "Golden Retriever"
Scribbler Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA USA
K-Mart is doing ads like that?

Wonder if it is local. The ads I've seen with employees extolling the wonderfulness of working for their employer have been for *Wal-Mart*.... not K-Mart.

There is a difference.

#1137 - 10/16/01 10:05 AM Re: "Golden Retriever"
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wal-Mart also has a number of employee discrimination suits pending, so it looks as if they're both doing love-me campaigns.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Barbara