Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#1148 - 11/24/01 03:30 PM Re: "Golden Retriever"
Rita Offline

Loc: St. Paul, MN
Well, I FINALLY got a copy, just this afternoon. Newsstands here order only two or three copies, and if you're not there on the right day -- tough luck!

#1149 - 11/25/01 07:47 AM Re: "Golden Retriever"
Jon Offline

Loc: Newark, Delaware, USA
Eyelids, not Liars. All I meant was that the last page or so set up scenarios for future possibilities. Sort of like a TV pilot episode, at the end of which we can see how this situation is going to give us a story every week. (I still think Eyelids would make a terrific 2-hour movie-of-the-week -- suspenseful and humorous but not bloody -- after which all our protagonists are poised for new jobs which will afford them Wacky Adventures together.)

Somehow I got this feeling much more here than in the first Reluctant Op, which felt like more of a stand-alone. Purely a personal reaction and maybe nobody else shares it.

#1150 - 11/25/01 09:26 AM Re: "Golden Retriever"
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Loc: Citrus Heights, CA , US
Arrgh, I meant Eyelids, protagonist moving into new digs, everyone moving on, etc. Yes, I see what you mean, now. I did mean for "Reluctant Op" to be cliff-hangerish, though, with Callie's admitting that Sam Bass had got the better of her...this time. Maybe it could have used a little more.

Yes, Eyelids would work as a TV movie pretty well, I think. Even better would be But He Was Already Dead When I Got There. Light and humorous.

#1151 - 11/27/01 10:33 PM Re: "Golden Retriever"
Rita Offline

Loc: St. Paul, MN
Oh, good story, Barbara. That is a strange relationship between Callie and Jimmy. There's obviously a bond between them, in spite of Callie's fear of the man. I'm sure we'll see more of Jimmy, but will we ever see Sam Bass?

Is Callie going to have a different parole officer each time?

#1152 - 11/28/01 08:16 AM Re: "Golden Retriever"
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Loc: Citrus Heights, CA , US
Sam Bass...he's going to stay in the background. Just a controlling presence that Callie can't quite get at.

Different parole officers, yes. They're there to help remind readers that Callie is not exactly an upstanding citizen, but I don't want another continuing character. In fact, Callie's checking in could get mechanical, so maybe I'll have the next one show up at the Bass Agency to see if Callie really is employed there -- as a mail clerk. That might be fun.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Barbara