Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#1266 - 10/28/02 07:39 AM Moving
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Loc: Citrus Heights, CA , US
Folks, I know I haven't been around much lately, but I've been packing like crazy. It's become necessary for me to move to California -- not Scrib's neck of the woods, but the northern part. On Nov. 15th Allied Van Lines is going to empty my apartment, and the following day three nervous cats and I will board a plane for Sacramento. I'll be living in a nearby town called Citrus Heights, which is flat as a pancake.

The Allied moving van (with computer aboard) won't get there until later, so it may be the first week of December before I'm back online. At least I hope the van will show up in California instead of heading toward New Jersey; my Allied agent looks just like Christopher in The Sopranos. ::sigh::

God, I hate moving.

#1267 - 10/28/02 08:16 AM Re: Moving
Kay Offline

Loc: Roanoke, VA , USA
Thoughts, prayers, good vibes, whatever....I hate moving too. It's been six years since my last one, which was six years after the one before that. So I guess it's time to start looking again

LOTS OF LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!

#1268 - 10/28/02 09:08 AM Re: Moving
Scribbler Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA USA
Wow! All the way cross country.

Sacramento, eh? I have friends who live up near Yosemite. Hmm. I might make an excursion up that way. Let me know how you do in the settling in.

But I hope everything comes through the transfer well. Especially the cats (not to mention the computer).

#1269 - 10/28/02 12:00 PM Re: Moving
Julia Offline

Loc: Silicon Valley
My sympathies - I've done enough long-distance moves to find the idea deeply unappealing even without cats to worry about.

It gives me an idea of the scale of the US to realise that you are moving to near me in US terms - and it's still a couple of hours away by car or train...

#1270 - 10/28/02 03:33 PM Re: Moving
Anonymous
Unregistered

I last moved in 1985, and I hope I don't have to do it again (it was only about two miles across Leeds, but it took a horrific amount of preparation and a whole long day for the actual move ...).

Good luck, Barbara!

#1271 - 10/29/02 04:31 AM Re: Moving
Rita Offline

Loc: St. Paul, MN
Wow, that's a big step, Barbara, uprooting yourself like that. Like Andrew, I hope never to move again, and I hope it isn't too traumatic for you.

#1272 - 10/29/02 11:25 AM Re: Moving
Christopher Offline

So you're going to be a West Coaster instead of an East Coaster? Everything on that side of the Mississippi is strange territory to me, in spite of quick trips to LA and SF. Best of luck in your new home.

#1273 - 10/29/02 04:42 PM Re: Moving
Lorna Offline

Loc: Dayton, Ohio
I'm still recovering from my last move, and that was three years ago! Sympathy and commiseration, Barbara. I hope it all goes without a hitch.

#1274 - 10/29/02 05:10 PM Re: Moving
David Dvorkin Offline

Loc: Denver, Colorado, USA
California! Holy cow! Never thought of you as fitting in on the West Coast, somehow, although I admit I can't say precisely why.

Too bad it's not really Northern California, as in the Humboldt Bay region. It's utterly lovely up there.

#1275 - 10/30/02 09:43 PM Re: Moving
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Loc: Citrus Heights, CA , US
Ha, a friend in New England says she can't imagine me anywhere except Pittsburgh. (Neither can I.) I've lived in California before, for four years -- in the southern part.

Scrib, you're welcome to stay with me whenever you're in the area -- if you don't mind a too-soft bed and sharing a bathroom with the cats. (Unless I can think of a better place to put the litter box.) But it's a roomy bathroom.

Thanks to everyone for your commiseration; I don't see how in the world I'm going to be ready by the 15th. The only time I come online any more is when I'm too exhausted to pack another book or lift another box.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Barbara