Topic Options
#1309 - 01/24/03 05:19 PM What's Up
Kay Offline

Loc: Roanoke, VA , USA
Darn, this topic looks lonely!

So, I will liven it up by asking Barbara if the transplant is affecting her work...anything in the oven, so to speak? And will the new environs give you something else to write about?

#1310 - 03/13/03 12:52 AM Re: What's Up
Kathy Offline

Loc: North Andover, MA, USA
Oh, I love that! In the oven, indeed! But I must say, when I saw the letter about Farrar, I was hoping it was going to be a confirmation of a new contract for more from the early days of the Met. Wait! I have an idea -- move the Met to San Francisco and imagine an alternate universe where opera found a center in the West and usurped the place of the film industry. Look, if Fforde can do it with literature, who says we can't imagine a world where opera became lingua franca.

#1311 - 03/13/03 11:03 AM Re: What's Up
Kay Offline

Great idea!

Incidentally I got to thinking about Barbara's "Prima Donna" listening to the Met last week. On the quiz someone was telling, for the truth, a story about the accidental substitution of a loaded gun in the last scene of "Tosca" - and hastening to say that the tenor survived, although apparently injured, because when the soprano went to "wake" Mario, instead of singing, she turned and asked "Is there a doctor in the house?" which got a big laugh until she repeated it with, "no, I mean it!"

Unfotunately they rang the chimes and the story ended abruptly. I suspect it belongs in the same category as the trampoline.

#1312 - 03/16/03 10:20 AM Re: What's Up
Scribbler Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA USA
I'm not sure Kay. In my first or second year of working on Jeopardy we did a category which included a clue about a famous tenor being injured that way during a performance. But I can't remember who it was. I'd have to delve into our database at work to see if I can find the clue. (Because we had to verify that it was true, of course.)

#1313 - 03/16/03 11:20 AM Re: What's Up
Anonymous
Unregistered

There was the recentish Fabio Armiliato incident... this and others are recounted here.

#1314 - 03/16/03 01:36 PM Re: What's Up
Kay Offline

Doesn't anybody check prop guns for live ammo? If it happens that often, there is definitely something wrong.

Moderator:  Barbara