Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1321 - 03/24/03 05:08 PM Only in California?
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Loc: Citrus Heights, CA , US
There's an outfit here whose sole reason for being is the disposal of animal waste for pet owners. Their slogan: "We Do Doo-Doo."

Gad.

#1322 - 03/24/03 05:37 PM Re: Only in California?
David Dvorkin Offline

Loc: Denver, Colorado, USA
There used to a company in Denver that would pick up all the dog droppings in your back yard. Their name was The Tootsie Roll Patrol, but the candy company that owns the Tootsie Roll name made them change, and they became something less memorable.

#1323 - 03/24/03 08:01 PM Re: Only in California?
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Well, can you blame them? Heavens.

The Tootsie Roll people are quite protective of their name. I wanted to have Kirk in The Three-Minute Universe name the alien ship Tootsie Roll and wrote the company requesting permission. The permission finally came...six months after the book was published.

#1324 - 03/26/03 10:45 AM Re: Only in California?
Kay Offline

Loc: Roanoke, VA , USA
Well, I wish we had a similar company in Roanoke. MOST of my dog walking neighbors are considerate, but occasionally I find a pile in an inconvenient place.

A couple of years ago I was doing some unprogrammed driving around the Blue Ridge Parkway and stopped off at Blowing Rock, NC, where I discovered a townhouse development that had a sign proclaiming it a "pet-free community."

I wonder if that applied even to non-nuisance pets like goldfish.

#1325 - 05/14/03 07:10 PM Re: Only in California?
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Dentists here advertise like crazy, and the ads all promise the same thing: a better smile. (As if that were the only reason for seeing a dentist!) The ads all say things like "We are dedicated to giving you a brighter smile" or "We have only one goal -- a better smile for you" etc.

And we're so far north of Hollywood, too!

#1326 - 05/14/03 10:24 PM Re: Only in California?
Julia Offline

Loc: Silicon Valley
Ah, so this obsession with cosmetic dentistry is not a nationwide thing?

Fortunately it only took a couple of visits before the dental practice I picked accepted that my priority is keeping my teeth functional for as long as possible. But the surgery is covered with posters about how to have an unnaturally perfect smile with veneers, implants, etc.

#1327 - 05/14/03 10:40 PM Re: Only in California?
Rita Offline

Loc: St. Paul, MN
Not nationwide, no. In fact, I have never seen an ad promising me a better smile. And I think I'd be mighty suspicious of the dentist if I did.

#1328 - 05/15/03 06:10 PM Re: Only in California?
Kay Offline

Loc: Roanoke, VA , USA
The dentist I use in Roanoke is a "cosmetic" dentist. I followed my hygienist when she moved and told her (and HIM) in no uncertain terms that I wanted to keep my teeth healthy but they look fine the way they are. The hygienist has since moved again, but so far I am cool with her replacement and the office is very convenient.

The first time Becky mentions "improvements", though, I am outta there.

#1329 - 05/16/03 01:52 AM Re: Only in California?
Julia Offline

Loc: Silicon Valley
I went to my old practice when I was visiting my parents in Australia last month - I wanted a second opinion on extra work the oral surgeon had been pushing me to have. (It's a bit tricky asking my current dentist, since she sent me to see him for the wisdom tooth extraction, and it puts her in an awkward position if I ask *her* if he's talking through his wallet.)

I'm very glad I went...

#1330 - 05/16/03 04:51 PM Re: Only in California?
Christopher Offline

Aw, Julia, drop the other shoe. What happened?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Barbara