Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1349 - 04/30/03 01:18 AM Re: A Cadenza for Caruso
CarusoManiac Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA, USA
true Kay, Farrar in Hollywood. Also, many other opera singers did the Hollywood (or film) thing, including Caruso, Gigli, Tauber, Martinelli, Melchior, Novotna, Grace Moore, Dorothy Kirsten, and most memorably, the distrastrous Carmen screentest of Rosa Ponselle. Lots of material there, but, as Ms. Paul says, those novels require a lot of research.

------------------
kevin

#1350 - 04/30/03 01:21 AM Re: A Cadenza for Caruso
CarusoManiac Offline

Ms. Paul, just a quick report. The Gianni Schicchi went well. I am actually singing a portion of it for KUSC radio. I will let you know when it is on. You can get KUSC on RealONE Player over the internet, for free and listen to it over your computer speakers. If you want details about the Schicchi, let me know, and I will post them. Incidentally, I am singing Rodolfo (La Boheme) in the Czech Republic in July, for all those European Barbara Paul fans out there.

------------------
kevin

#1351 - 04/30/03 03:57 PM Re: A Cadenza for Caruso
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Loc: Citrus Heights, CA , US
Wow, Rodolfo! Quite a coup, I'd say. How did that come about, if you don't mind a nosy question? And yes, I'd like to listen to the Schicchi. I've never used the radio broadcast part of RealAudio, but I can't think of a better way to start. Please post details when you know them.

As to opera singers doing the Hollywood thing -- we just had a category in our Musical Jeopardy game called "Opera Stars in the Movies". It's still on the board, in the Music forum. The title of the topic is Game 32: Jeopardy (Lorna), and it's the fourth post in the topic. See how many you know.

Kevin, call me Barbara, please. I'm "Ms Paul" only when I'm all dressed up.

#1352 - 05/01/03 07:19 AM Re: A Cadenza for Caruso
Jon Offline

Loc: Newark, Delaware, USA
It's true about Melchior; his recordings (in Italian, but even more so the ones in German) show him to have been one of the great Otellos, but he was too valuable to the Met in other capacities.

Welcome, Kevin (I'm late coming to the party here), and congratulations on your roles. I teach music (theory and lit) at U of Delaware, and sometimes write recording reviews for Opera News.

[This message has been edited by Jon (edited 05-02-2003).]

#1353 - 05/06/03 09:29 PM Re: A Cadenza for Caruso
CarusoManiac Offline

Barbara,

I recorded a portion of Gianni Schicchi last week. I don't know when it will be on KUSC. I am trying to find out. I can get audio and video of the full opera performance if you are interested.

------------------
kevin

#1354 - 05/06/03 09:33 PM Re: A Cadenza for Caruso
CarusoManiac Offline

Jon,

Sorry for the delayed reply. I rather agree that he was valuable at the Met in the Wagner wing, but they did not let him do Fidelio either, and San Francisco Opera, which did not get Melchior much, let him do Otello. He did an unbelievable number of performances of his major Wagner roles.

On the other subject, small world. My former voice teacher, Will Crutchfield, contributes to Opera News and I used to attend Peabody Conservatory in Baltimore. Perhaps I can sing for you all at Opera North (or is it Opera Delaware?) someday!

------------------
kevin

#1355 - 05/08/03 03:39 PM Re: A Cadenza for Caruso
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Loc: Citrus Heights, CA , US
Yes, Kevin, thank you -- I would indeed like to see/hear a tape. But you said you "can get" audio or video. How complicated/expensive/troublesome would it be to get a tape? I don't want to put you out.

#1356 - 05/16/03 12:03 PM Re: A Cadenza for Caruso
Jon Offline

Loc: Newark, Delaware, USA
Kevin, I know Will Crutchfield, in addition to sharing magazine space with him. He has achieved a lot more eminence than I have, of course, but we've written for a lot of the same magazines, and run into each other at conferences and similar gatherings. We first met at a book-launching party for a critic we both consider our original inspiration to write about voice and music.

But I haven't seen him in a number of years now.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Barbara