Page 2 of 19 < 1 2 3 4 18 19 >
Topic Options
#1477 - 08/23/09 08:48 PM Re: Opera 2
Anonymous
Unregistered

Speak kindly of Tosca, people. It was my break-through opera.

#1478 - 08/24/09 12:59 AM Re: Opera 2
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Loc: Citrus Heights, CA , US
Really, Austin? Not, well, Carmen?

#1479 - 08/24/09 10:23 AM Re: Opera 2
Anonymous
Unregistered

We went to Carmen the year before Tosca, but I was headachy and coming down with a cold and Carmen was so LOUD. Changed my mind later, of course, but it was Tosca that first got through to me. I heard those three heavy chords that open the curtain and I was sucked right in. Stayed in, too. I still feel grateful to that opera, if you know what I mean.

#1480 - 08/24/09 03:31 PM Re: Opera 2
Lorna Offline

Loc: Dayton, Ohio
Austin, I don't think I've ever seen a better testimonial for an opera.

#1481 - 08/24/09 05:10 PM Re: Opera 2
Christopher Offline

Hear, hear!

#1482 - 08/28/09 07:16 PM Re: Opera 2
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Finally ordered the tickets, after a bit of a mix-up, but I'll have to wait for the Encore performance of Tosca. There are five of us going, and one has a birthday coming up; her daughter is planning a surprise birthday party for her, on the same day of the live simulcast. I knew about the party; I'm going to it. But I forgot the date. So I had to think up a convincing lie to persuade her to change her ticket, for the later performance, and I had to swear the other three in our group to secrecy about the party to get them to change, etc. Ah, me.

#1483 - 08/29/09 10:05 PM Re: Opera 2
Kay Offline

Loc: Roanoke, VA , USA
Oh, what a tangled web we weave...

I hate surprise parties.

#1484 - 08/30/09 11:07 AM Re: Opera 2
Barbara Offline
Administrator

So do I. And I don't think my friend is going to be as thrilled as her daughter thinks she will.

I read on some fan-maintained opera page that the advance sales for Hoffmann are going quite well. No locality specified, just a general statement that's enough to make me think now is a good time to order tickets.

#1485 - 08/30/09 08:59 PM Re: Opera 2
Kay Offline

Loc: Roanoke, VA , USA
Repeating...I hate surprise parties....although I don't think Liz looks at the opera topic.

A friend who is slightly older than I am has a landmark birthday coming up next month. HER daughters decided summer (two are teachers) was the best time to celebrate, and let her select the guest list for the luncheon they threw for her at a favorite restaurant. (Her favorite...not mine necessarily)

She even helped plan some of the celebration and everybody greatly enjoyed it...the "right" people got invited (although she did worry that she might have overlooked somebody)...This is so much better that SURPRISE!

#1486 - 09/07/09 07:18 PM Re: Opera 2
Barbara Offline
Administrator

The last time I mentioned Elina Garanca here, we ended up trying to find a way to make the hacek/caron visible on both PC and Mac screens. This time I'm just going to leave out all the diacriticals.

When the Met's simulcast schedule was released, I was disappointed to see Garanca was appearing only as Nicklausse in Les Contes d'Hoffmann. I knew she'd been singing Octavian and Carmen in Europe, but she'd not sung either of those roles in the short time she'd been at the Met. So there were Rosenkavalier and Carmen on the schedule, both of them Garanca-less. It will be years before the Met starts repeating operas already simulcast, so I was out of luck.

Then the substitutions began, with Hoffmann. Rolando Villazon, scheduled to sing the title role, had to drop out because of throat surgery (Joseph Calleja is taking on the role). Then Rene Pape decided he didn't want to add the Four Villains to his repertoire and withdrew (Alan Held is substituting). Then Elina Garanca was replaced by Kate Lindsey. What??? But that turned out to be good news.

The new production of Carmen was designed specifically for Angela Gheorghiu, with hubby Roberto Alagna as her Don Jose. Then she withdrew from all but two of her scheduled performances, for "personal reasons" (unexplained). But the two performances she will be singing are the only two in which Alagna is NOT her Don Jose; she'll sing opposite Jonas Kaufmann instead. Earlier this year Alagna gave an interview in which he said the two of them probably will not be sharing the stage much in the future. Interesting, hm?

But not pertinent. What is pertinent is that Elina Garanca will be replacing Gheorghiu as Carmen. Yippee! Since Carmen rehearsals will be taking place during Hoffmann's run, she had to give up the smaller role. Tough choice, I'm sure.

I am very happy.

Page 2 of 19 < 1 2 3 4 18 19 >

Moderator:  Jon