Page 2 of 20 < 1 2 3 4 19 20 >
Topic Options
#1679 - 10/06/10 08:18 PM Re: Opera 3
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Loc: Citrus Heights, CA , US
First simulcast of the season coming up this Saturday, Das Rheingold.

#1680 - 10/06/10 08:42 PM Re: Opera 3
Kay Offline

Loc: Roanoke, VA , USA
We won't get it until Sunday for some reason.

#1681 - 10/07/10 09:54 AM Re: Opera 3
Rita Offline

Loc: St. Paul, MN
Then you won't get it live. But...Bryn Terfel.

#1682 - 10/09/10 05:36 PM Re: Opera 3
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wow! Wow, wow, wow! They pulled all the stops out on this one. The shortest three Wagnerian hours I've ever spent.

#1683 - 10/09/10 09:02 PM Re: Opera 3
Barbara Offline
Administrator

A very successful production, I'd say. And EVERYBODY sounded good. Performed without an intermission, so the backstage stuff was shown before the opera started. I'd thought the Rhine Maidens would probably be shown via a projection, but no, they were flown in live in front of a motion-and-voice-activated projection of bubbles. The three singers found the whole experience scary; the expression on the face of one girl when she first saw the harness she was going to wear -- well, it was priceless! But they all went through with it and the result was a very effective piece of theater.

Eric Owens's Alberich almost stole the show -- almost, but not quite. (Has anyone ever stolen the show from Bryn Terfel?) I especially liked Franz-Josef Selig's Fasolt. The audience in my theater found it all quite exhilirating and applauded enthusiastically and at some length, all the way through the curtain calls. Well, the singing and the production had to be good, to take your mind off the story. The story...oh dear, that story.
1. Don't ignore the fact that Hell hath no fury like a Nibelung scorned.

2. When contemplating home improvement, make sure you have enough in the bank to pay the construction workers.

3. Don't let a little dab of gold on your finger give you delusions of grandeur.

4. Keep the in-laws happy at all costs.

5. For a finale, make up a new word, like "Valhalla".

#1684 - 10/10/10 11:10 AM Re: Opera 3
Rita Offline

Loc: St. Paul, MN
Yep, that just about sums it up. My audience applauded too...and the Met audience booed Loge, ha.

I'm not a Wagner fan, but I loved this production. Only two things I'd quibble about. Terfel seemed to spend more time standing still than singing. And calling a piece of cloth a "helmet" required more suspension of disbelief than I could come up with. The stage set surprised me. At first I thought, oh no, not another bare set! But this one worked very well. Those long planks were remarkably versatile, especially the slanted ones the singers could slide down. That long tilted stairway Wotan and Loge descended into Nibelheim was very dramatic. I only decided to go to this performance at the last minute, but I'm certainly glad I did!

#1685 - 10/10/10 01:53 PM Re: Opera 3
Anonymous
Unregistered

The way those planks were manipulated was really clever, and there was no "bare set" feel to it at all. But unless I misunderstood the interview, they'll be using those planks for all four Ring operas. I'm just wondering how clever they'll seem to the Met audience by the end of Götterdämmerung.

#1686 - 10/10/10 05:59 PM Re: Opera 3
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Terfel sang the entire opera with his hair pulled down and hiding what was supposed to be an empty eye socket. Only in the curtain calls did he smile and pull back his hair to reveal a living eye underneath. It occurs to me that it must be extremely difficult to perform anything with only half your vision. You need both eyes to focus properly. Maybe that's why Terfel stood motionless so often. He had a few quick movements, but nothing tricky. I imagine Eboli in Don Carlos has the same problem -- unless her eyepatch has a pinhole opening.

#1687 - 10/15/10 08:53 PM Re: Opera 3
Kay Offline

Tomorrow night I'll be attending a LIVE OPERA...or rather a "concert" almagam of the best bits of the various Fausts...including I hope Boito and Busoni, but I expect we will start off with the wild ride from Berlioz (the three Faustian B's?) and wrap with the angelic chorus from Gounod...with a soldiers chorus, a jewel song, etc., in between. This is Roanoke, after all, the audience that could barely sit still for the Wagnerian pistache last year.

#1688 - 10/19/10 09:41 PM Re: Opera 3
Kay Offline

never saw the "official" review of the Faust concert...but it was excellent and as near a sell out as I've seen for opera in Roanoke...it helps to have a huge chorus including a lot of "cherubim" from the local children's choir.

Steven White...who flew out to one of his Met gigs as soon as it was over, led a rousing performance of the REAL highlights from Boito, Berlioz and Gounod....NO jewel song, and NO soldier's chorus...But a heavenly HEAVENLY chorus or two and a wonderful Mephisto himself by Jeffrey Tucker who almost made me forget about Siepi.

One (probably the only) plus about living down the road from Liberty University is that their music department is stupendous and we get to borrow their choir for events like these.

Page 2 of 20 < 1 2 3 4 19 20 >

Moderator:  Jon