Page 18 of 20 < 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 >
Topic Options
#3909 - 10/31/11 07:04 AM Re: Opera 3 [Re: Christopher]
Rita Offline

Loc: St. Paul, MN
Ramon Vinay said something in his intermission interview that I had forgotten (if I ever really knew), that all the action takes place in a single day. Amazing. The Commendatore died in the morning, and during the day a statue was carved of him and that warning engraved on the base. Fast work. And who had that done? Anna and Ottavio spent all their time chasing Giovanni.

Kay, you couldn't have seen that drab set before. It's a new production. But I suppose all brown walls with acting cubicles look pretty much alike.

#3911 - 10/31/11 10:25 AM Re: Opera 3 [Re: Kay]
Kay Offline

Loc: Roanoke, VA , USA
I don't remember an intermission interview with Vinay (and isn't he dead?????????????)

It sure looked like a variation of the set they used for Trovatore...and something else...basically just a stone wall with a lot of doors.

#3912 - 10/31/11 05:05 PM Re: Opera 3 [Re: Kay]
Rita Offline

Oh, right, I meant Ramon Vargas. Renée Fleming interviewed him and the Donna Anna together.

#3914 - 10/31/11 07:18 PM Re: Opera 3 [Re: Rita]
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Loc: Citrus Heights, CA , US
I actually groaned when I saw that mud-colored set; this entire new production was nothing special, IMO. I did wonder why Giovanni and Leporello kept wrestling each other. A sexual connotation? But it made them look like a team of equals instead of aristocrat and servant. Perhaps that was the point -- but why? (The most physical contact Ezio Pinza and Salvatore Baccaloni ever had came in one performance when Pinza got fed up with Baccaloni's scene-stealing antics and hit him over the head with an umbrella.) In the long run, however, it didn't really matter; the music was enough. The finale is always chilling, and this one nailed it.

Austin, you might like the Joseph Losey version of the opera. It's a movie, not a filmed stage performance, and it's absolutely beautiful to look at. Ruggero Raimondi sings the title role, and his Giovanni is not a carefree, romantic figure but a man obsessed. The film gradually builds up this atmosphere of...well, not evil, exactly, but more one of unwholesomeness. There's something terribly wrong with a man who is unable to veer from the path that's leading him straight to Hell in spite of all the warnings he receives. The inevitability of the coming ending is so strong that when it does come, it's a relief.

#3915 - 10/31/11 08:28 PM Re: Opera 3 [Re: Kay]
Jon Offline

Loc: Newark, Delaware, USA
Quote:
Well, Austin, you can't go wrong with the Furtwängler DVD. That's the one with Siepi and it has Kiri Te Kanawa singing Elvira.

Te Kanawa's career is several decades after Siepi's! The Furtwangler film has another lovely 3-named lady as Elvira, Lisa Della Casa. And Te Kanawa is on the Losey film that Barbara just mentioned.

My favorite video Don Giovanni is a Glyndebourne stage production -- not the one just issued this year, but one from the 1970s, directed by Sir Peter Hall and conducted by Bernard Haitink. It doesn't have any superstar names in the cast, but they really act it and play it and sing it, and I think it works wonderfully well.

Other Mozart operas may be more tautly constructed, but there's something special about Don Giovanni; it takes on one of the central myths of European culture, and actually does justice to it.

#3916 - 11/01/11 09:25 AM Re: Opera 3 [Re: Kay]
Christopher Offline

Oops, Della Casa, yes. Te Kanawa is in the movie version.

#3925 - 11/04/11 07:05 PM Re: Opera 3 [Re: Kay]
Kay Offline

Loc: Roanoke, VA , USA
Looking forward to tomorrow's Siegfried, and I am not a huge Wagner fan...Gary Lehman was our Floristan in Opera Roanoke's Fidelio a few years ago....and the little clip they showed last week looked like he is indeed ein heldentenor. And I adore Bryn Terfel in anything. I guess somebody is singing Brunhilde smile

But it's gonna be a LONGGG afternoon.

#3926 - 11/05/11 09:12 AM Re: Opera 3 [Re: Kay]
Christopher Offline

Deborah Voigt is the Brünhilde in this Ring production, but she doesn't appear until the last act of Siegfried . However, six hours of Wagner is more than I can take. Anyone else going?

#3927 - 11/05/11 09:32 AM Re: Opera 3 [Re: Kay]
Rita Offline

Nein.

#3928 - 11/05/11 10:17 AM Re: Opera 3 [Re: Kay]
Austin
Unregistered

Page 18 of 20 < 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 >

Moderator:  Jon