Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#2119 - 01/14/10 11:24 AM Re: Current Movies (2010)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Didn't know that. Yes, it's a serious comedy, isn't it?

#2120 - 01/19/10 01:06 PM Re: Current Movies (2010)
Jon Offline

Loc: Newark, Delaware, USA
I did know that about the interviewees, and it's the main thing that's held me off from seeing the movie. It seems as if knowing that these were real fired people would make it all just unbearable to watch. I take it that that's not the case?

#2121 - 01/19/10 06:19 PM Re: Current Movies (2010)
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Loc: Citrus Heights, CA , US
Not at all. The interviewees at the beginning -- before the healing has begun -- are more angry than anything else. They've got some fight in them, and you feel indignant for them, but there's no wallowing in pain, for instance.

#2122 - 01/19/10 07:34 PM Re: Current Movies (2010)
Rita Offline

Loc: St. Paul, MN
Golden Globes: Avatar won both best movie and best director (James Cameron).

Best screenplay: Up in the Air

Best actor: George Clooney lost out to Jeff Bridges (Crazy Heart).

Best actress: Sandra Bullock in Blind Side.

Best actress in a comedy or musical: Meryl Streep, Julie and Julia.

Best supporting actor: Christoph Waltz, Inglourious Basterds. Didn't somebody post something about him here?

#2123 - 01/19/10 09:25 PM Re: Current Movies (2010)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Avatar beat out Up in the Air? Oh, that's just not right. As much as I enjoyed watching what CAD could do in Avatar, Up in the Air is easily the superior movie.

#2124 - 01/20/10 03:22 AM Re: Current Movies (2010)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hm, I wouldn't describe Julie and Julia as either a comedy or a musical!

#2125 - 01/20/10 07:17 PM Re: Current Movies (2010)
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Loc: Citrus Heights, CA , US
The production companies decide which categories their movies are entered in. In this case, the producers evidently thought Streep and Julie and Julia would have a better chance if they didn't go up against the heavy hitters in the more prestigious "Best Movie" category. By the same token, Up in the Air should have been in the comedy category, but since it was the best movie nominated, why not go for broke? It certainly didn't deserve to lose to Avatar; I'm with Austin on that. Avatar is a stunning visual achievement, truly cutting edge, and that should be recognized. But it was not the best movie.

David, are you reading this? Do you still dislike George Clooney?

Now, I have a confession to make. I went back to see Avatar again. A friend wanted to see the 3-D version, and I was curious enough about it to go with her. And guess what? It's not exactly the same movie as the regular version; there were a few slight changes.

First, that silly transport vessel with the bottom-mounted thrusters -- the exterior of that ship was not shown at all. We saw the interior and the pilot's view of the compound during the flyby, but no view of the burners. That was an improvement. Also, there was only one shot of a Na'Vi "aiming" an arrow incorrectly; all the others had been cut. Sigourney Weaver had a death scene that wasn't in the other version. CCH Pounder's role was enlarged. There were additional shots of the big tree's destruction. Probably a few other changes I didn't catch. But the 3-D was great; I'll echo Pete's "Wow!" here.

Chris, what did you think of The Book of Eli?

#2126 - 01/21/10 06:29 PM Re: Current Movies (2010)
David Dvorkin Online

Loc: Denver, Colorado, USA
I like Clooney in light comedies. Nowadays, I avoid serious, mainstream movies with all my might. (Sometimes Leonore manages to drag me to one, and I get all cranky and whiny.)

BTW, I reviewed Avatar on my blog:
http://eyeblister.blogspot.com/2010/01/avatar-made-me-blue.html

#2127 - 01/21/10 09:51 PM Re: Current Movies (2010)
Pete Offline

Loc: Newport News, Virginia, USA
I would have thought the 2D version would just have been the right eye (or left eye; take your choice) of the 3D version?

#2128 - 01/23/10 09:34 AM Re: Current Movies (2010)
Christopher Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Barbara:
Chris, what did you think of The Book of Eli?
Too much religiosity for me, although it was germane to the plot. Some of the action sequences were unusual and engaging, but on the whole I'd say skip it.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Rita