Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#2149 - 08/10/10 06:21 PM Re: Current Movies (2010)
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Loc: Citrus Heights, CA , US
Is anyone going to movies this summer? I just saw Salt, easily the most preposterous movie I've seen in a long time. Angelina Jolie stars as a female Bruce Willis, taking enough physical punishment to put ten normal people in the hospital for six months before bouncing up and running full out with nary a limp nor a stagger. It's all stylized violence, some of it cleverly done but most of it in the "Oh, yeah, I believe that!" category. Unless you believe one unarmed woman can take out six armed men with a few well-placed kicks. And did you know it's possible to turn on a church organ by firing a gun at it? Amazing.

#2150 - 08/10/10 06:27 PM Re: Current Movies (2010)
David Dvorkin Online

Loc: Denver, Colorado, USA
I hate seeing Jolie in an action movies. A strong breeze could blow her away. I can't suspend my disbelief.

#2151 - 09/18/10 05:57 PM Re: Current Movies (2010)
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Did anyone see The American? I was impressed by it. Not as flashy as Clooney's recent movies have been, because quietness is a basic part of the picture being built.

*********SPOILER************

Right at the beginning, Clooney's character (an assassin) cold-bloodedly kills a woman he'd been making love to only moments before, thus effectively destroying any empathy for the character before it has time to build. That's important, because when you see how capable a man he is, the temptation to be on his side is quite strong. The movie doesn't go for suspense but for quietly building tension instead. Sparse dialogue, see-everything photography, toned-down action. About as different from Salt as you can imagine and a thousand times better.

#2152 - 09/21/10 12:34 PM Re: Current Movies (2010)
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've just come back from seeing Tamara Drewe. It's based on a graphic novel by cartoonist Posy Symonds which appeared in instalments in The Guardian. It's set in rural Dorset (very pretty!) and there are various tongue-in-cheek references to Thomas Hardy.

Anyway, it was tremendously enjoyable with excellent performances all round. It was directed by Stephen Frears, and Roger Allam (the Queen's private secretary in Frears's The Queen) plays one of the principal characters, a successful author of detective stories. His long-suffering wife is Tamsin Greig (very good indeed). Another of the principals is an American of whom I've never heard. He's called Bill Camp and reminded me rather of Bob Balaban.

It's released in the USA on 8 October. It's a little on the long side (111 minutes), but the scenes are mostly short and the time flies by. Go and see it!

#2153 - 09/22/10 06:09 PM Re: Current Movies (2010)
Anonymous
Unregistered

I never even heard of this movie. One of the posts at IMDB says it's loosely based on Far from the Madding Crowd. Very loosely, from the sound of it.

#2154 - 10/10/10 10:18 AM Re: Current Movies (2010)
Jon Offline

Loc: Newark, Delaware, USA
On Friday I saw The Social Network. What a pleasure to see a movie that's really written. Aaron Sorkin's lines crackle with energy all the way through. All the acting performances are excellent, and the structure, hopping between the events themselves and the depositions in the legal action years later, works beautifully.

My only criticism has to do with the limits of aging ears: the setting of a couple of crucial conversations (including the very first one) against a realistically noisy background of bar conversation. It was hard work to filter the (realistic) distractions away, and I didn't want to miss a line.

#2155 - 10/19/10 01:11 PM Re: Current Movies (2010)
Barbara Offline
Administrator

That one came and went without my even knowing about it. One consolation, Jon; when it shows up on TV, you can turn on the closed captioning. But the question of noise level reminds me of how much I've come to dislike previews. They're all the same now. Crash! Bang! Boom! Ultraswift cuts and swooping cameras! Noise, noise, NOISE! All the same.

Having got that off my chest, I'd to say that for sheer endless fun, RED is going to be hard to beat. Its humor is the kind I like best, the kind that arises from a situation instead of depending on an unending exchange of one-liners. And it has a fairly respectable plot as well: someone is killing off retired CIA agents. Bruce Willis is one such target but escapes the attempt on his life. In his journey to find out who's behind it and why, he accumulates other retirees to help him -- John Malkovich, Morgan Freeman, Brian Cox, Helen Mirren. Along the way they run into Rebecca Pidgeon, Ernest Borgnine, Karl Urban, Richard Dreyfuss. A lot of star power there, but the smartest casting was to include Mary-Louise Parker as an endangered friend of Willis's character. She not only holds her own in this bunch of old pros, but she even manages to steal a couple of scenes from Willis.

Recommended? Oh yes.

[This message has been edited by Barbara (edited 10-19-2010).]

#2156 - 10/19/10 06:39 PM Re: Current Movies (2010)
Lorna Offline

Loc: Dayton, Ohio
Amen to that (noisy previews). After sitting through four or five of them in a row, I end up feeling I've been assaulted.

I'm planning to see RED this weekend, if only to hear Helen Mirren say, "I kill people, dear."

#2157 - 10/23/10 07:25 AM Re: Current Movies (2010)
Rita Offline

Loc: St. Paul, MN
Oh, what a hoot! RED isn't openly parody or camp, because it's played absolutely straight. But in its own way it has a good laugh at all the clichés of action flicks. Well, maybe Malkovich's role is self-parody, considering all the kookie roles he's played. But he too plays it straight, that is, straight for John Malkovich. It's hard to explain...oh, go see the movie.

#2158 - 10/25/10 08:05 PM Re: Current Movies (2010)
Christopher Offline

I did. And I agree with everything said here. It's a fun movie, and everything works.

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Rita