Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2184 - 08/14/11 10:51 PM Re: Almost LIVE !
Kay Offline

Loc: Roanoke, VA , USA
And then evolves into the "Once more into the breach, dear friends, once more..." King of Henry V...I've always had a hard time reconciling Prince Hal with God for Harry, England, and St. George.

#2185 - 08/14/11 10:57 PM Re: Almost LIVE !
Kay Offline

Loc: Roanoke, VA , USA
As for Falstaff...it became necessary for Shakespeare to pen an epilogue disavowing any resenblence between the Fat Knight and one Sir John Oldcastle, who apparently WAS young Hal's coach and companion AND a leader of an early protestant sect, the Lollards...who pitched a fit over the representation of him as a drunken womanizer.

Oldcastle later led a rebellion against Henry V...and died a most gruesome death because of it..."hanged and burnt hanging" is the way it is described.

#2186 - 08/14/11 11:42 PM Re: Almost LIVE !
Rita Offline

Loc: St. Paul, MN
In that part Barbara quoted, it doesn't sound like excuse-making. It sounds like A Man With A Plan...a pretty sleazy plan, but still a plan. Take that speech out of the play, and, well, everything changes.

#2187 - 08/16/11 03:19 PM Re: Almost LIVE !
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Loc: Citrus Heights, CA , US
Yes, it certainly does! Shakespeare wanted us to know right from the start that Hal isn't as dissolute as his companions; otherwise we'd lose sympathy for him rather quickly. It's the same reason Falstaff is given so many unpleasant qualities, to distance him, to make his rejection and death more tolerable (except that it doesn't quite work for Andrew!). Also, without knowing what Hal was up to, the audience would find his transformation from Bad Boy to Good King too unmotivated to be credible.

#2188 - 08/19/11 06:44 PM Re: Almost LIVE !
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Loc: Citrus Heights, CA , US
Well, the Hal was much better in Part 2; not nearly so yippy. But Hal the character is still worrying about appearances; he doesn't want to make a public show of mourning his father's death because people will think he's hypocritical. The Pistol was terrible; the less said about him, the better. But William Gaunt was back, this time playing Shallow, and now I understand why he wasn't cast as Henry: his Shallow is just too good to be missed. What that man can do with his voice is remarkable, and the recruiting scene was hilarious. Roger Allam yielded stage to him; there was no competing for attention between them. In fact, Allam took a step back in his entire performance. Part 1 was his play; in Part 2 he was one figure in the tapestry. And that's as it should be.

#2189 - 08/20/11 01:43 PM Re: Almost LIVE !
Christopher Offline

Oh damn, that was this week! I guess I need to start writing EVERYTHING down.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Rita