Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2200 - 09/15/11 06:22 PM Re: Television 2011-2012
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Loc: Citrus Heights, CA , US
Sorry, Lorna, I missed that. No, I'm not a Buffy fan. I watched the first two or three episodes when the show first aired, but I was disappointed by how lame they all were, especially the first one. For one thing, we're supposed to have a slayer strong enough to battle vampires and demons, and they cast this slip of a girl with absolutely no muscle tone whatsoever. And the way she talked! Everyone else in that show had good, clear speech, but the leading lady swallowed her lines. I understood maybe half of what she said. So I gave up on the show rather quickly.

But recently I've been watching reruns, and I've come to appreciate the cleverness of the dialogue. It's witty and full of references that I seriously doubt the kid actors understood, and it's fun to listen to. So it's a little ironic that the one episode I'd recorded ("Hush") when my DVR died has no dialogue at all in most of the hour. Everyone in Sunnydale loses the power of speech, and that weird phenomenon is the work of a villainous group called The Gentlemen:

[img]http://girlwithremote.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/hush.jpg?w=229&h=144[/img]

The Gentlemen don't walk; they glide smoothly over the surface of the ground, tilting their evil grinning skulls and making graceful hand gestures -- spooky and funny at the same time. I love these guys.

But no, I didn't watch Ringer.

[This message has been edited by Barbara (edited 09-15-2011).]

#2201 - 09/16/11 07:08 PM Re: Television 2011-2012
Rita Offline

Loc: St. Paul, MN
I watched Ringer. It might be a success with kids who've never seen its derivative plot before, but it's too much Buffy playing at being grown up for me.

Did you know Sarah Michelle Gellar wanted to quit Buffy after the first season? She'd had a couple of movie offers, but Josh Whedon wouldn't release her from her contract. So she stayed for the run of the show, then made a couple of movies which promptly tanked, and now here she is back on TV.

[This message has been edited by Rita (edited 09-17-2011).]

#2202 - 09/18/11 07:08 AM Re: Television 2011-2012
Lorna Offline

Loc: Dayton, Ohio
The Closer's website says there'll be new episodes starting in November. That "finale" that left everything up in the air was just a season finale (although it didn't even look like that). So we'll have an abbreviated season to wrap things up. I think it's only six episodes, but that will be enough.

#2203 - 09/18/11 09:55 AM Re: Television 2011-2012
Christopher Offline

Aha, that's one mystery solved! Thank you, Lorna. I hope they're keeping the rest of the cast in the new show. It wouldn't be the same without Provenza and Flynn.

#2204 - 09/20/11 10:07 AM Re: Television 2011-2012
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Loc: Citrus Heights, CA , US
Yes, this makes much more sense. It's still anybody's guess as to how Brenda makes her exit, but six more episodes and we'll know.

#2205 - 09/22/11 06:21 PM Re: Television 2011-2012
Rita Offline

Loc: St. Paul, MN
A new Survivor, and no one has mentioned it! The second episode (last night) was a doozie. Russell Hantz's nephew is one of the players, and the only one he's told is Coach. Remember Coach? He and Ozzie are the two returning players. Anyway, Brandon (the nephew) used to be a bad boy but now he claims he's cleaned up his act and wants to redeem the Hantz family name. He's married and wants to remain faithful...but one of the girls unknowingly tempted him by stripping down to her skivvies when she went for a swim. So he started a campaign to get rid of her (it's all HER fault, you see). He lied about her and lied to Coach, saying two of the other girls wanted her out. He's Russell's nephew, all right! But the lies were exposed in tribal, and the girl in question didn't receive a single vote. The aftermath of all that should be interesting.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Rita