Page 25 of 27 < 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 >
Topic Options
#29639 - 08/25/14 02:23 PM Re: SFTV [Re: Lorna]
Austin
Unregistered

Face it, Lorna, you're a softie. smirk But you're right, they just took the easy way out. Another bit of hack writing was the scene where Clara and the other three were fighting the cyborgs with swords. Everybody hacking and slashing away and no one got hurt. It was just a filler scene, broken into segments to give the Doctor time to finish whatever he was doing.

A much better made show (so far) is The Strain. No romanticizing of vampires there.

#29649 - 08/26/14 02:13 PM Re: SFTV [Re: ]
Christopher Offline

I've seen a couple of episodes, and yes, The Strain is well done. But, unfortunately, I think I've had enough of vampires to last me at least 300 years. Too much.

#29725 - 09/16/14 07:25 PM Re: SFTV [Re: Christopher]
Rita Offline

Loc: St. Paul, MN
Haven returns tonight, SyFy Channel.

#29766 - 09/29/14 05:50 PM Re: SFTV [Re: Rita]
Austin
Unregistered

Well, I've had it with Doctor Who. The show has failed to meet even my lowered expectations. Capaldi is trying too hard to appear eccentric, same way David Tennant did. None of the episodes shown yet have been FUN. In fact, they verge on the tedious.

CBS is trying its hand at SF again with Scorpion...cliché nerds saving the world while lacking social skills, boo hoo, lots of technobabble, etc. Kid stuff.

#29784 - 10/09/14 12:18 AM Re: SFTV [Re: ]
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Loc: Citrus Heights, CA , US
Sorry I didn't see this before my modem went kaflooey, but you've hit the nail on the head, Austin. The show just isn't fun. It's not all Capaldi's fault, though; the stories all have an old-timey SF/fantasy quality to them, miles away from cutting edge. One episode a couple of weeks ago was more Twilight Zone than Who. There are occasional flashes of wit, but they're few and far between. Different writers from the ones who did the Matt Smith episodes.

#29896 - 11/09/14 07:05 PM Re: SFTV [Re: Barbara]
Rita Offline

Loc: St. Paul, MN
Austin and Barbara, I'm reluctantly going to agree with you. We had a Triffids episode, then a Fantastic Voyage episode (Who had already done one of those, with Tom Baker). Running out of ideas? Then the finale was a kind of high-tech Armageddon with even the kitchen sink thrown in. The only real fun in that episode was provided by Missy, the Master in some female incarnation.

Odd thing...in the opening credits, Jenna Coleman's name came first, before Capaldi's. I don't remember ever seeing a companion listed ahead of the Doctor before. It looks as if her time with the Doctor is over, but she made a fetching Lydia in Death Comes to Pemberley.

#29899 - 11/11/14 10:03 AM Re: SFTV [Re: Rita]
Christopher Offline

That last episode suffered from giantism. The bigger the bang, the better the episode? I don't think so.

#30022 - 12/26/14 10:36 PM Re: SFTV [Re: Christopher]
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Well, thanks to Doctor Who, we now know how Santa Claus manages to cram all those presents he must deliver into the sleigh: it's bigger on the inside.

Jenna Coleman has changed her mind and will be returning to the show.

A stocking stuffer I received this year is a tea infuser in the shape of the Tardis. smile

#30110 - 01/25/15 06:45 PM Re: SFTV [Re: Barbara]
Barbara Offline
Administrator

A tentative thumbs up for the two new shows SyFy launched this season, Helix and 12 Monkeys. I didn't expect much of either of them because they both have the same cliché subject matter, finding a way to stop a virus that has wiped out most of the human race. Helix is a straightforward story of a small group of shipboard survivors searching for a medical solution, but it's being treated like a journey of discovery, of encountering unexpected things along the way. 12 Monkeys is the series version of the Bruce Willis movie, mixing time travel with cure-hunting. The hero is sent back in time to kill the man who developed the virus (a plot that first aired as an Outer Limits episode back in the 60s). It's the slicker of the two series, fast-moving and filled with a sense of urgency. Obviously these shows are no innovators, but the dialogue in both of them is a tad above average. In the way of SF on TV, they'll probably crash and burn, or maybe just fizzle out, but right now they're worth watching.

My newest Guilty Pleasure: Galavant, the "medieval musical" on ABC. It's just goofy enough that you don't mind the occasional vulgarity too much. Timothy Omundson is giving a bang-up performance as King Richard; nothing I've ever seen him do before indicated he had this kind of talent.

#30113 - 01/26/15 04:59 PM Re: SFTV [Re: Barbara]
David Dvorkin Online

Loc: Denver, Colorado, USA
This is the second season for Helix. The story started out at an isolated Antarctic (I think) research station.

I gave up on it after a few episodes because the writers seemed to be adding twists and turns without any goal in mind, as far as I could tell.

Page 25 of 27 < 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 >

Moderator:  Rita