Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#2527 - 08/04/10 04:41 PM Re: Not-so-current movies
Kay Offline

Loc: Roanoke, VA , USA
Another candidate was "Prince Eddy" the older brother of the future George V. Rumors persist that Eddy's early death was a cover up and he was spirited away somewhere to hush up the Ripper scandal.

#2528 - 08/05/10 01:32 PM Re: Not-so-current movies
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Loc: Citrus Heights, CA , US
Fortunately, no one buys into that theory any more. That was started almost 100 years after the murders by someone who claimed he'd read Dr. Gull's private papers in which Gull stated that Eddy, who was his patient, was Jack the Ripper. But since no one else has ever seen these papers (what a surprise), that's just assertion. These papers are also supposed to say that Eddy had syphilis and died not of influenza as announced but of "softening of the brain". But Gull was hardly in a position to know anything about Eddy's death, since he died two years before Eddy did. The whole thing's a crock. Eddy wasn't even in town for most of the murders; on the day of the double murder (Stride and Eddowes), he was in Scotland having lunch with his grandma.

In Clarence, a biography of Eddy, Michael Harrison fingers poet James Kenneth Stephen as the Ripper. Stephen's physician was...guess who. I imagine that's why Dr. Gull himself came under suspicion -- because his name keeps popping up so much.

#2529 - 08/05/10 01:57 PM Re: Not-so-current movies
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wikipedia has a lengthy article on Jack the Ripper suspects ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_the_Ripper_suspects ) with ample opportunities to whizz off into all sorts of other articles.

#2530 - 08/06/10 10:59 AM Re: Not-so-current movies
Lorna Offline

Loc: Dayton, Ohio
Eddy's grandma...Queen Victoria? Barbara, do you think it was Stephen?

#2531 - 08/06/10 08:05 PM Re: Not-so-current movies
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Loc: Citrus Heights, CA , US
Victoria, yes. Stephen, no. I had to dig out my copy of Clarence and check, but it seems to me Harrison's evidence is so circumstantial that I question whether it can be called evidence at all. Harrison's reasons are too long and complicated to go into here, and they've generally been discredited. So I'll offer just one example.

A couple of years before the murders, Stephen suffered a severe blow to the head. His behavior thereafter became increasingly bizarre, and he spent his final days in an insane asylum. Harrison points out the murders stopped when Stephen was committed. Yes, that's true, but they'd stopped three years before he was committed. Harrison also says Stephen escaped long enough to commit one more murder, one not included in the usual list of Jack's victims, etc. etc.

Everybody wants to solve this case, but no one ever has.

#2532 - 08/06/10 10:46 PM Re: Not-so-current movies
Mike Offline

Loc: Brooklyn
I love the talk here, like from Barbara Stanwyk to Jack the Ripper without batting an eye. But I don't get the Carol Burnett part.

#2533 - 08/07/10 09:39 AM Re: Not-so-current movies
Pete Offline

Loc: Newport News, Virginia, USA
Burnett, in her TV variety show, used to satirize old Hollywood movies by playing a Stanwyck-type character wearing big padded shoulders.

#2534 - 08/07/10 11:26 AM Re: Not-so-current movies
Christopher Offline

Yes, she did a send-up of Sorry, Wrong Number, but Rita was talking about her version of GWTW. Remember how the post-war impoverished Scarlett took down the green velvet drapes to make herself a dress? Well, here's Burnett's version:

#2535 - 08/07/10 05:19 PM Re: Not-so-current movies
Rita Offline

Loc: St. Paul, MN
Yep, that's the one. Did you know there's a Carol Burnett doll dressed in that outfit?

#2536 - 08/07/10 07:48 PM Re: Not-so-current movies
Anonymous
Unregistered

Who's the gent in the GWTW picture? Harvey Korman?

Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Rita