Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#2547 - 03/07/11 04:48 PM Re: Not-so-current movies
Rita Offline

Loc: St. Paul, MN
Speaking of scenery-chewing, I recently watched The Last Station, a not really successful picture of the last year of Tolstoy's life. Leo (Christopher Plummer) and his wife Sofya (Helen Mirren) were at odds because he wanted to turn over the rights to his works to "the poor". They took turns at bombast and scenery-chewing, but she won, quite possibly because Sofya (as portrayed) was a woman who could turn the theatrics on and off at will. Mirren would come bursting into a room all disheveled, hair flying, eyes bulging, and absolutely impossible to ignore. In her quiet moments, she was quite a different person. An interesting movie, beautifully photographed, but somehow unsatisfying.

[This message has been edited by Rita (edited 03-07-2011).]

#2548 - 03/09/11 06:59 PM Re: Not-so-current movies
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was in no hurry to see Russell Crowe's Robin Hood, but I did watch it last week. The voiceover at the beginning said something portentous about how outlaws come into existence when rulers exploit their subjects, and "One such time was the turn of the twelfth century." Then the first scene was identified as taking place in 1199. And here I thought "turn of the century" meant the START of the century. Oh well. I liked the movie more than I thought I would. It's a prequel, telling how Robin and the gang came to be outlaws living in Sherwood Forest.

#2549 - 03/12/11 02:19 PM Re: Not-so-current movies
Christopher Offline

I finally caught up with The Ghost Writer, which is even more paranoid than The Parallax View...remember that? Pierce Brosnan plays Tony Blair (called Adam Long in the movie) and Ewan McGregor is the somewhat naive title charcter. The movie is slickly made, but it has the most ludicrous solution imaginable. This is the film Roman Polanski finished editing while in prison in Switzerland.

[This message has been edited by Christopher (edited 03-12-2011).]

#2550 - 03/12/11 06:00 PM Re: Not-so-current movies
Anonymous
Unregistered

I haven't seen the film, and probably won't see it, but the book was quite a good read. And the final section was a bit of a big surprise (i.e. one that I hadn't expected).

#2551 - 03/13/11 09:01 PM Re: Not-so-current movies
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Loc: Citrus Heights, CA , US
The ending is laughable (the movie; I don't know about the book).

Does anyone know if Tom Cruise ever made a movie in which he did not run full out, as hard and as fast as he could? I recently rewatched Minority Report (better on second viewing) and Cruise did his running thing. Then toward the end, another character, speaking of Cruise's movie son, said: "He likes to run, like his father." I know running is Cruise's trademark, but I don't remember his earlier movies well enough to be sure he ran in all of them. What about Top Gun? I think he did run in All the Right Moves (high school football picture) but what about Legend? Risky Business, Rain Man -- did he run in those?

#2552 - 03/22/11 10:50 AM Re: Not-so-current movies
Rita Offline

Loc: St. Paul, MN
He didn't run in Top Gun. I just watched that, for the first time...and found it hard to believe that a mature, successful woman would fall for a cocky young kid, and so quickly! But he did no running.

#2553 - 04/12/11 06:34 PM Re: Not-so-current movies
Barbara Offline
Administrator

The Wedding Planner -- Jennifer Lopez, Matthew McConaughey. Everyone knows the old formula for romantic comedy: boy meets girl, boy loses girl, boy gets girl. Well, now it's girl meets boy, girl loses boy, girl gets boy. Haven't we come a long way?

#2554 - 08/30/11 10:51 AM Re: Not-so-current movies
Barbara Offline
Administrator

This past weekend I was determined to watch a Harry Potter movie all the way through to the end, so I turned on Harry Potter and the Half-Baked Prince or something and settled down to watch. But less than halfway through, we had a power failure. The power came back on just as the end credits were rolling. It's fate; Harry and I just weren't meant for each other.

Another movie -- TCM recently showed Hangover Square, Laird Cregar's last movie, with Linda Darnell and George Sanders (playing the good guy for a change). I've got it in my head that that movie was originally released as Hanover Square -- no "g". IMDB says nothing about a title change. Am I imagining it? Did anyone else ever see this movie?

#2555 - 08/30/11 11:31 AM Re: Not-so-current movies
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, it's loosely based on Patrick Hamilton's novel Hangover Square which takes place in the seamy Earl's Court area of London. Hanover Square is in posh Mayfair. I can't find any reference to a change of name - Halliwell usually gives these (e.g. Out of the Past became Build My Gallows High in Britain), but there's no mention of one in his article on the film or the list of name-changes at the end of the book.

#2556 - 08/31/11 10:09 AM Re: Not-so-current movies
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Ah, that would seem to nail it; I imagined it. Thanks, Andrew.

Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Rita