Page 19 of 21 < 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 >
Topic Options
#2752 - 05/26/11 06:40 PM Re: Television 2010-11
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks, Barbara.

"So, Andrew, is there a Belko-like character in the Danish series? And is he the killer?" Yes, and yes. Assuming that no-one here is bothered about spoilers, it was as clear to me as it was to you that Belko is the killer. In the Danish version, he's Vagn, and I spotted him at about the same time as you did.

"He and Stan Larsen (father of the murdered girl) have known each other most of their lives." Check!

"Belko helps Stan with his moving company, and he's sort of a casual, unofficial member of Stan's family." Check!

"There's an old trick in TV crime shows: the killer is introduced early in some innocent situation and then drops out of the action. Then he's brought back again, to remind the audience that there is such a character in the story." Check!

"There are internal pointers to Belko as well. He and Stan may have shared a criminal past. The police learn that the murdered girl's body was moved in a car that belonged to the campaign staff of a local politician running for mayor, and for a while the spotlight is on the politician. Belko offers to "take care" of the politician for Stan, but Stan says no, because "I don't do that any more." They've both killed in the past? Sounds like it." Check!

"Belko isn't on the screen very much, just enough to establish two things: he's violent, and he's in and out of Stan's home a lot. That's adequate preparation to reveal him as the killer." Check!

As I said, I'm not usually great at spotting the villain, but I did this time. That doesn't detract from the overall compelling nature of the [Danish] series.

#2753 - 05/26/11 06:48 PM Re: Television 2010-11
Anonymous
Unregistered

Addendum: Barbara, you said "no gun battles, no witty cop banter". Well, there was some of both, except that the cops weren't bantering, they were annoying each other like there was no tomorrow, mainly because Lund was supposed to be off the case and in Sweden.

#2754 - 05/27/11 01:22 PM Re: Television 2010-11
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Loc: Citrus Heights, CA , US
No banter or bullets so far. Maybe in episode #10 (Sunday), or maybe not at all, since the American version has seven fewer episodes than the Danish series. Things are definitely chilly between the two detectives, and Linden has told her superior that she has concerns about her partner's ability to be an investigator. He's new to the game, promoted to Homicide from Narcotics. But they haven't had it out between them yet.

The AMC website has an ongoing poll where viewers can select the character they think is the killer. And guess who the overwhelming favorite is! Belko has 40% of the vote; the next highest character, only 10%. The remaining 50% is scattered among the rest of the cast in parcels of 2 and 3%. If the killer turns out to be someone barely visibile, like the moneybags who's bankrolling the politician, you'll be able to hear the screams of protest from all the way across the pond.

[This message has been edited by Barbara (edited 05-27-2011).]

#2755 - 06/09/11 11:58 PM Re: Television 2010-11
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Has anyone watched Bobby Fischer Against the World? It's a new documentary, showing on HBO. It's a sad story. Not unique; many of the great chess masters suffered from the same kind of demons that plagued Fischer. But still sad.

Oh, I forgot to mention that on The Killers Belko became a suspect for about ten minutes, after which he was dismissed as a pathetic loser but innocent of the murder in question. So much for Belko.

#2756 - 06/13/11 04:45 PM Re: Television 2010-11
Rita Offline

Loc: St. Paul, MN
I was vaguely aware that Fischer had mental problems, but I didn't know he'd turned into a ranting paranoid schizophrenic at the end. There must be some truth in the theory that the things that make some chess masters great are the very things that ultimately drive them insane. Frightening.

On a more frivolous note, I am getting very tired of all the fluff crime dramas on TV. They've been a USA specialty for years now, like Psych and White Collar and all those forgotten series that were tried out for a short season and then dumped. I can't even remember any of their titles now. Burn Notice turned into a hit, and maybe In Plain Sight, but they're still fluff. Monk ran for years, and I've never understood why.

But now even LMN is getting into the act. Its new show, The Protector, is flat, cliché-ridden, and boring. It even has a heroine who looks like a slightly younger Mary McCormack. LMN has another such show planned for later this summer, but I'm not even going to give it a try. Enough, already!

#2757 - 06/14/11 09:47 AM Re: Television 2010-11
Pete Offline

Loc: Newport News, Virginia, USA
What's "LMN"? You all must get cable channels I don't or something.

#2758 - 06/14/11 10:05 AM Re: Television 2010-11
Christopher Offline

Lifetime Movie Network. Both LMN and USA are owned by NBC, which has found these cookie-cutter shows profitable enough to keep grinding them out. But corporate myopia promotes and schedules L&O:CI right with the fluff. All the L&O shows are formulaic, but they're not fluff.

#2759 - 07/11/11 02:27 PM Re: Television 2010-11
Rita Offline

Loc: St. Paul, MN
The Closer returns tonight, for its final season, and I don't think I'm going to like it. It sounds very much like the downfall of Brenda Leigh Johnson. She may "choose" marriage over career as an out, but she's in hot water. (I'd love to see a show where a man chooses marriage over career.) Anyway, 21 more episodes, and that's it.

They're spinning off Major Crimes, with Mary O'Donnell in the lead.

#2760 - 07/11/11 03:31 PM Re: Television 2010-11
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was reading the other day that the killer in The Killing (the Seattle one) apparently isn't the same as the equivalent killer in the Danish one - AND that Series 1 ended with a cliff-hanger, presumably so that everyone will watch Series 2, in which it is promised that the killer will be revealed. (Unless they commission Series 3, perhaps ...) As a result, the woman who commissioned the Seattle version has become very unpopular. Have I got that right? The Seattle Killing has just started over here, but I'm not watching it.

#2761 - 07/11/11 08:15 PM Re: Television 2010-11
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Rita: I don't much like the idea of Brenda's bowing out, either under a cloud or under her own volition. I'd rather see a finale more like the one L&O:CI had, in which the two detectives just keep on keeping on. Things have changed slightly -- their relationship is closer, more personal. But they're both doing exactly what they want to do, and what could be a happier ending than that? If Brenda is going to be denied that kind of completeness...well, a bittersweet ending is probably the best to hope for.

Andrew: More of a tease than an actual cliffhanger. Holder, the secondary detective, tells Sarah Linden, the main detective, that a toll bridge photo shows their suspect to have been at a crucial place after denying having been there. That's the one final bit Linden needed to complete her case, so she makes the arrest. (I won't say who it is, in case you decide to watch the Seattle version.) Then the very last scene shows her on a plane with her son, ready to take off, when she gets a phone call from some civic archiving place. The caller says they can't provide her with the toll bridge photo she requested, because that camera was out of order for several weeks, including the date in question. No photos. Holder lied.

The obvious suspect (Belko/Vagn) was dismissed with a plausible explanation of his involvement, but in retrospect that might have been a red herring. However, there's this. We sometimes see TV shows in which a cop will falsify evidence to nail a criminal he knows is guilty, and Holder is trying very hard to make good on his first homicide case. The fact that Holder's evidence is nonexistent doesn't mean their suspect is innocent. They might have the right guy after all. What I find improbable is that Linden would go ahead with the arrest without actually seeing the photo herself. She's always had trouble trusting this particular partner, so why now? We're told all this will be cleared up early in the new series and a new case will then be introduced. So I guess Linden gets off that plane. No California wedding for her.

Page 19 of 21 < 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 >

Moderator:  Rita