Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#29246 - 05/04/14 09:16 PM Re: Television 2014 [Re: Lorna]
Rita Offline

Loc: St. Paul, MN
Jack Bauer returns tomorrow night, on Fox, in a 12-episode 24. This may be the last series.

#29255 - 05/07/14 09:06 PM Re: Television 2014 [Re: Rita]
Lorna Offline

Loc: Dayton, Ohio
Frankly, I worry about any series or movie that begins with a shootout (or a chase scene). But as always, 24 leaves you with questions that may never be answered. How did Jack know where Chloe was? He no longer has any contacts in any government agency. For that matter, how does he know what's in the wind concerning the President? Why was Chloe being tortured? Why didn't Jack get her medical help instead of leaving her on her own to find a safe place to go?

NCIS had an interesting episode last night, the first in a while. The show has been pretty lame lately.

Edited to add: Why is Fargo called Fargo? It's set in Minnesota.

Edited by Lorna (05/07/14 09:16 PM)
Edit Reason: afterthought

#29258 - 05/08/14 03:05 PM Re: Television 2014 [Re: Lorna]
Christopher Offline

Probably just for the name recognition. Who would tune in to a show called Bemidji? It's the same world as the movie Fargo, and a sequel, in a way. In this last episode a young Stavros Milos (played at his present age by Oliver Platt) finds a suitcase filled with money buried in the snow. That money was put there by the Steve Buscemi character in the movie, but he was killed before he could go back and collect it. Stavros went from running out of gas in the middle of nowhere because he'd had only $5 to buy gas to becoming The Supermarket King...all because of that movie suitcase.

I'd say NCIS was on its last legs, except that the cast has been signed to new 2-year contracts. But it has been lame, and that two-parter spinoff set in New Orleans starring Scott Bacula was awful. The new gal on the team is doing the best she can with the role she's been given, but young and eager just doesn't cut the mustard this late in the series.

#29260 - 05/08/14 05:53 PM Re: Television 2014 [Re: Christopher]
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Loc: Citrus Heights, CA , US
Oh, you're dead right about that. I imagine the producers thought Bishop would bring a breath of fresh air to the series, but they haven't given her much to do so far. She hasn't had a chance to make her mark upon the team; she's more a tagalong than anything else.

If they really wanted to stir things up, they could have made the new token woman team member someone who's not at all impressed by Gibbs's style of leadership. She's impervious to The Stare. She refuses to guess at what he wants her to do. She's never intimidated into babbling incoherence. When she's yelled at, she yells back. And she never brings Gibbs his coffee. Now, THAT is something I'd like to see.

#29262 - 05/09/14 08:59 AM Re: Television 2014 [Re: Rita]
Pete Offline

Loc: Newport News, Virginia, USA
I thought they might use the Gibbs clone played by Abigail Borin, who is his Coast Guard equivalent

#29279 - 05/14/14 07:54 PM Re: Television 2014 [Re: Pete]
Christopher Offline

Any show that uses the word "dreadful" in its title is just asking for it...so here goes: Penny Dreadful lives up to (or down to) its name. It is DREADFUL. Throw everything you can think of into the mix and every viewer will find something to be shocked by. Bleaagghh.

#29310 - 05/26/14 12:50 PM Re: Television 2014 [Re: Christopher]
Rita Offline

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one, Chris. Last week's episode ("Sťance") was a strong one, and so was this week's about Frankenstein's monster (Proteus/Caliban). The liberties they're taking with the various stories aren't random ones. They're all connected. Dracula hasn't been introduced yet, although it's obvious he's the one who took the girl the others are searching for. Dorian Gray's part in the story hasn't been made clear yet, but it will be. I think it's all very ingenious.

#29315 - 05/26/14 04:01 PM Re: Television 2014 [Re: Rita]
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Has there ever been a movie or a TV show that didn't put "Dr." in front of Frankenstein's name? In Mary Shelley's book, Victor Frankenstein was a college drop-out; he didn't even finish his first year. But that said, I'm gradually being won over by Penny Dreadful. It IS ingenious.

#29340 - 06/01/14 08:56 PM Re: Television 2014 [Re: Barbara]
Rita Offline

I don't want to say too much about the last Orphan Black episode in case someone hasn't seen it yet, but its surprise ending is NOT to be missed! Terrible and funny at the same time. A man died, and I'm sitting there laughing my head off. This show is corrupting me.

I liked John Malkovich's new pirate series (Blackbeard). The dialogue is wonderful.

#29341 - 06/02/14 12:51 AM Re: Television 2014 [Re: Rita]
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Rita, I had the same reaction to Orphan Black's last scene -- horrified laughter. Totally unexpected and yet completely believable. And it's in keeping with the rest of the series; one problem is solved but the solution itself creates a new problem.

I wasn't expecting much of Bluebeard, but I was pleasantly surprised. The dialogue IS wonderful. Just a couple of anachronistic expressions, but otherwise true to the period. All the actors spoke the language as easily as if it was their normal everyday speech; you don't find that often in period pieces.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Rita