Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#29141 - 04/02/14 05:10 PM Re: Current Movies 2014 [Re: Kay]
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Loc: Citrus Heights, CA , US
I want to second Austin's endorsement. The only way to describe this movie is to say "Wes Anderson". If you responded to his Moonlight Kingdom, you'll love The Grand Budapest Hotel. It's such a rich movie; there is so MUCH in there to see.

#29144 - 04/03/14 05:02 AM Re: Current Movies 2014 [Re: Barbara]
Andrew Offline

Loc: York, England
I saw The Grand Budapest Hotel a few weeks ago - very entertaining, although at times it reminded me of It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World and suchlike. The cast looked like movie royalty - Dafoe, Goldblum, Wilkinson, Murray, Balaban, Swinton etc., etc. Terrific performance by Ralph Fiennes. I've never seen an Anderson film before, but I now feel like ordering the lot, probably starting with The Royal Tenenbaums

#29155 - 04/06/14 06:26 PM Re: Current Movies 2014 [Re: Andrew]
Christopher Offline

I think I will too. The only Wes Anderson film I'd seen before TGBH was Moonlight Kingdom, but that one movie was enough to make me a believer. I especially like the way he tosses in grim reminders not to take the parade of images too glibly (death of an animal, the loss of fingers, etc.).

#29231 - 04/29/14 04:36 PM Re: Current Movies 2014 [Re: Barbara]
Andrew Offline

Loc: York, England
I've enjoyed The Royal Tenenbaums on DVD recently - very strange but often mesmerising.

Now last week, I saw Calvary, with the great Brendan Gleeson as a parish priest in Sligo (near Ben Bulben). There were a lot of recognisable actors, many of them quite nasty, and Gleeson's actor son was really creepy. All of us in the Picturehouse in York just sat there till the credits were halfway through (very unusual for me and probably most of the others). Go and see it if it comes near you.

#29233 - 04/29/14 10:17 PM Re: Current Movies 2014 [Re: Andrew]
Barbara Offline
Administrator

I certainly will, if it's booked here. The US release date is Aug. 1, so we'll have to wait a bit.

#29578 - 08/11/14 09:57 PM Re: Current Movies 2014 [Re: Barbara]
Barbara Offline
Administrator

It's beginning to look as if I'm not going to get to see Calvary; none of the local theaters have it booked as of now.

The 100-Foot Journey -- a word of warning: this is NOT a Helen Mirren movie. She's in it, but strictly in a secondary capacity. The movie is about the Indian family that opens a restaurant directly across the road from Mirren's posh restaurant. The two gals I saw the movie with loved it, but I was somewhat less enamoured. The acting was top-notch and the scenery gorgeous, but I found the movie slow and too long.

#29930 - 11/20/14 07:27 PM Re: Current Movies 2014 [Re: Barbara]
Austin
Unregistered

If any of you are planning to go see Interstellar...DON'T. There's not one original thing in that movie. Instead we get bits and pieces of Star Trek, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Farscape, Stargate SG-1, Gravity, Looper, Cloud Atlas, and probably more. Interstellar is what you get when people who know nothing about science fiction decide to make an SF movie. The real-time drama of Rosetta is far more exciting.

#29931 - 11/20/14 11:56 PM Re: Current Movies 2014 [Re: ]
Barbara Offline
Administrator

I wish I'd read that post instead of the critics' favorable reviews, also written by people who know nothing about SF, evidently. The first part of the movie is fairly good, establishing the reason why mankind needs to find a new place to live. Earth's resources are pretty much depleted; the whole planet is one giant dust bowl. One scene shows a family eating a meal, and all they have on their plates is corn. So far so good.

But once the hero leaves his farm to pilot a new spaceship in search of another habitable planet, the movie veers off into the ridiculous. One preposterous sequence follows another, and the plot loses all connection to logic. A movie like this can only have a fairy-tale ending, and that's what Interstellar has. Take Austin's advice -- don't go.

But yes, Rosetta is far more exciting! Comet-riding stories have been around since the 1950s; the first one I read made me think what a nice fantasy! Wish-fulfillment SF, and rather clever. I couldn't take it as prophetic for a number of reasons, such as the surface instability of comets. Of course, a lot more is known about comets now than when those early stories were written, but I still tended to think landing on one wasn't possible. But now they've gone and done it! I guess Arthur C. Clarke was right: If man can think of it, man can do it. We'll have to see whether the big questions will be answered (Did comets seed the earth with life?), but, oh my, what a giant step!

#30021 - 12/26/14 10:33 PM Re: Current Movies 2014 [Re: Barbara]
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Drop whatever you're doing and go see Into the Woods. You won't be sorry.

#30025 - 12/27/14 01:54 PM Re: Current Movies 2014 [Re: Barbara]
Austin
Unregistered

Amen to that! It's a real winner.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Rita