Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#30092 - 01/17/15 09:20 PM Opera 10
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Loc: Citrus Heights, CA , US
Anyone go to today's frou-frou? I almost didn't but let myself be talked into it. The reviews haven't been very enthusiastic, but that's all right; The Merry Widow was nice, lighthearted fun. Jon, I hope you were able to watch Kelli O'Hara steal the show! Strange to see Renée Fleming outshone by the second lady of the piece. Age is finally catching up with Fleming (she's 56 and looks it). She can still hit her high notes with ease, but all too frequently I wouldn't have known what she was singing about if it hadn't been for the captioning across the bottom of the screen. I loved Nathan Gunn's Danilo; he sounded good and looked good and seemed perfectly at home in his role. I even liked the sets, each one of them perfectly symmetrical in interesting ways. The Merry Widow is all just tuneful fluff, but I did enjoy it.

#30094 - 01/19/15 12:13 AM Re: Opera 10 [Re: Barbara]
Kay Offline

Loc: Roanoke, VA , USA
As you said...not "grand opera" but fun and nicely done. And given that Fleming was portraying a "mature" heroine she was acceptable.

#30101 - 01/21/15 06:07 AM Re: Opera 10 [Re: Kay]
Lorna Offline

Loc: Dayton, Ohio
But is Hanna a "mature" heroine? All the cast listing says is that she's a wealthy widow. She was a poor farmer's daughter before she married up, and her elderly, wealthy husband obligingly died on their wedding night. So after his death she takes his money with her to live it up in Paris, thereby creating the crisis that starts the plot. But all that indicates only a fairly short period of time has passed. Hanna could even still be in her teens.

#30103 - 01/21/15 03:17 PM Re: Opera 10 [Re: Barbara]
Kay Offline

Loc: Roanoke, VA , USA
Not when Renee Fleming is singing the role wink

#30105 - 01/22/15 01:56 AM Re: Opera 10 [Re: Kay]
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Hm, that's not really the question, is it? We're accustomed to seeing middle-aged singers playing teenagers (R & J, Butterfly, Lucia) -- but that doesn't alter the age of the character. What Lorna was doing was attempting to pin down Hanna's age, and I'd say she got it right. Otherwise Hanna would have to bury her husband of a few hours and then wait around for years until she was "mature" before taking off for Paris. That doesn't seem likely, does it? If she's no longer in her teens, she couldn't be more than in her early twenties.

#30163 - 02/14/15 06:49 PM Re: Opera 10 [Re: Barbara]
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Weirdness. As I was driving home from Iolanta and Bluebeard's Castle, I turned on the radio to the local fine music station and heard...Bluebeard's Castle! Just the tail end of it; it was over before I reached home. But it was the "live" performance, with Margaret Juntwait telling who was taking a bow, etc. How can this be?

The friend I went with thought of two possibilities:
  • The radio broadcast was a recording, sent out just minutes after the live performance, to allow some engineer to bleep out any naughty word that might be uttered during an interview but was not permissible over the radio.
  • The Met doesn't have the technology to handle radio and simulcast transmissions simultaneously.

#30164 - 02/15/15 01:15 PM Re: Opera 10 [Re: Barbara]
Pete Offline

Loc: Newport News, Virginia, USA
I would think your first possibility is the correct one, but probably the delay was due to the radio station wishing to broadcast later than the Met's simulcast, for its own scheduling reasons.

#30165 - 02/15/15 05:48 PM Re: Opera 10 [Re: Pete]
Christopher Offline

Yes, the first explanation has to be the right one, and for the reason stated. No scheduling reason could call for a delay of only minutes. Live transmissions are always risky, and the Met people have created a small window to allow editing when needed...a safety net.

#30166 - 02/16/15 01:52 PM Re: Opera 10 [Re: Christopher]
Lorna Offline

Loc: Dayton, Ohio
Wow. All those "live" Saturday broadcasts are really recordings? Almost live, but not quite. I'm wondering if they always did that or whether it just started with the simulcasts.

#30167 - 02/16/15 08:15 PM Re: Opera 10 [Re: Lorna]
Austin
Unregistered

And I'm wondering if this is maybe a widespread practice. I'm thinking of sporting events, where there's a greater chance of drawing a six-figure FCC fine for obscene language than there is in an opera house.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Jon