Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#30734 - 12/05/15 11:59 AM Re: Opera 10 [Re: Barbara]
Pete Offline

Loc: Newport News, Virginia, USA
I just happened to listen to a recording of "Va pensiero". Dammit, it brought tears to my eyes. And I am not even Italian.

#30736 - 12/06/15 08:03 PM Re: Opera 10 [Re: Pete]
Christopher Offline

Did it make you think of Kay? I remember that was one of her favorites.

#30738 - 12/06/15 11:44 PM Re: Opera 10 [Re: Barbara]
Pete Offline

Loc: Newport News, Virginia, USA
Actually, I thought of Kay when discussing coming here out of GEnie. Kay had known me in the Classical Music Forum there, and told me about this BBS when GEnie announced it was going to end. We had both been playing the "Classical Jeopardy" on GEnie. Va, pensiero is just beautiful music. They sing the first stanza quietly, and suddenly they go to fortissimo. It gets me every time.

There was a movement at one point to make the song the national anthem of Italy.

#30760 - 12/16/15 12:53 AM Re: Opera 10 [Re: Pete]
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Loc: Citrus Heights, CA , US
I went to see The Magic Flute Saturday; this was a recording of the abridged version for children first performed ten years ago, and I loved every minute of it. Erika Miklosa nailed the big aria, really nailed it, and it was nice seeing Matthew Polenzani sixty pounds ago. The stage spectacle was, well, spectacular. But I wonder what it was like singing Mozart while wearing a fat suit. The guy singing Monostatos had to do that; his name was left out of the cast listing for some reason.

#30770 - 12/20/15 08:00 PM Re: Opera 10 [Re: Barbara]
Jon Offline

Loc: Newark, Delaware, USA
I have that performance on DVD. It is a lot of fun, isn't it? The Monostatos was Greg Fedderly, according to the credits on the box.

#30817 - 01/17/16 08:50 PM Re: Opera 10 [Re: Jon]
Lorna Offline

Loc: Dayton, Ohio
We went to The Pearl Fishers yesterday, mostly because we'd probably never get another chance to see it. It's been 100 years exactly since the last time the Met performed it. I can't give this one either a thumbs up or thumbs down. It has that hauntingly beautiful tenor-baritone duet in the first act, the theme repeated now and then through the rest of the opera. And that's all I can remember! One day later.

#30821 - 01/19/16 11:12 AM Re: Opera 10 [Re: Lorna]
Rita Offline

Loc: St. Paul, MN
The music was enjoyable, but for me that silly story kept getting in the way. In particular, the way the characters kept making 180-degree emotional turns in an instant, even the chorus! When Leila and Nadir were discovered, the crowd was screaming for blood...put them to death, they must die, etc. Then Zurga walks in and sings a few lines about showing some mercy, and the crowd immediately changes its tune to...oh yes, we must be merciful, forgive them! Ludicrous.

But it was nice seeing a baritone turn out to be a good guy for a change.

#30822 - 01/19/16 01:13 PM Re: Opera 10 [Re: Rita]
Barbara Offline
Administrator

For my money, Mariusz Kwiecien as Zurga stole the show. He, Damrau, and Polenzani all sang beautifully, but Kwiecien is the only one of the three who can act. I've seen The Pearl Fishers only once before, in a Pittsburgh Opera production. Same thing both times -- the duet stays with you but not much else.

#30842 - 01/31/16 06:39 PM Re: Opera 10 [Re: Barbara]
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Yesterday's Turandot was another revival of a 198X production, and it was sooooo Zefferelli! I liked it a lot. One thing puzzled me, though. In the midst of the glittery Oriental sets and the splendiferous Chinese costumes, Calaf wore garb more suggestive of an Italian Renaissance soldier than anything else. Yes, Calaf is a stranger in a strange land -- but not THAT strange.

This was the first time I'd heard Nina Stemme, and she is one powerful singer.

#30859 - 02/11/16 10:23 AM Re: Opera 10 [Re: Barbara]
Jon Offline

Loc: Newark, Delaware, USA
Turandot was my first opera. I had been asking my parents about this opera thing, and my mother decided that in 7th grade I was old enough to experience one. So, after research and consultation, she took me to Turandot at Chicago Lyric Opera in 1959. Birgit Nilsson and Leontyne Price were the sopranos (both pretty new on the international scene at that date), and I just wish I'd been experienced enough to appreciate and remember what I was hearing.

I see that the Glyndebourne 2016 season is announced, and they're bringing back their wonderful Meistersinger. I had vowed that I might consider attending again when that happened, so now I have to consider it. The other title on the schedule that I would most want to see is Britten's Midsummer Night's Dream, but unfortunately there's no overlap -- there's a month between the end of one run and the start of the next. The ones that do overlap with the Wagner are Barber of Seville and Janacek's Vixen, both quite all right but not enticing to me. Meanwhile, concurrent with the Britten they're doing a new production of Berlioz's Beatrice and Benedick, which I do find intriguing. So I'll have to think it over....

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Jon