Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#30905 - 03/03/16 10:06 AM Re: Current Movies 2016 [Re: Barbara]
Jon Offline

Loc: Newark, Delaware, USA
Is it really leaving theaters so soon? (Quickly checks listings.) Yup. Moving on to some distant/esoteric locations tomorrow.

I enjoyed it very much too. It's more episodic than story-driven, but all the episodes are enjoyable, the cast is consistently at its best, and it offers little surprises along the way.

Like Alden Ehrenreich, who I agree is a standout among the bigger names. One realizes that though his character has made a career in formula pictures as a singing cowboy, he himself is not dumb. He knows that when he's set up on a date (with a Carmen Miranda type) at a Hollywood night spot, his job is to spread a bit of publicity -- but he's also fun company for his companion, and who knows? they might decide to go out together again.

Even better, when in an emergency the studio puts him into a Coward-style drawing-room comedy, he knows perfectly well how miscast he is (never says so, but we can see him sizing up the situation), but he'll still give it his very best shot, and try like the dickens to get it right. That's where the real humor of the scene comes from. "Would that it were so simple."

That's one of many refreshing instances (connected to what Barbara said about love of movies) in which the movie doesn't condescend to the characters. They're not caricatured as one might expect; they're mostly working hard at their jobs.

#30915 - 03/06/16 06:50 PM Re: Current Movies 2016 [Re: Jon]
Austin
Unregistered

Now I want to see it too!

#30979 - 04/26/16 04:50 PM Re: Current Movies 2016 [Re: ]
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Loc: Citrus Heights, CA , US
If you're thinking of going to The Huntsman: Winter's War...don't.

#30980 - 04/27/16 06:18 PM Re: Current Movies 2016 [Re: Barbara]
Lorna Offline

Loc: Dayton, Ohio
Really? We were thinking of going this weekend. Charlize Theron...?

#30985 - 04/27/16 09:46 PM Re: Current Movies 2016 [Re: Lorna]
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Yes, she's the reason I went. But she's in maybe one-sixth of the movie, appearing very briefly at the beginning and not again until the final scenes. The bulk of the movie is given over to other people, one of whom is a leading man who barely knows how to talk. The visuals are good, but so much of the story just plain doesn't make sense -- gaps in logic are the norm, unfortunately, not the exception. The movie looks as if the graphics were done first, and then some sort of script cobbled together to fit the pictures.

#30986 - 04/28/16 03:35 PM Re: Current Movies 2016 [Re: Barbara]
Austin
Unregistered

Huh. Thanks for the warning.

#31044 - 06/01/16 08:59 PM Re: Current Movies 2016 [Re: ]
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Money Monster is well worth a couple of hours of your time. You know the situation, I'm sure (George Clooney is a TV Wall Street tipster who is taken hostage by a young man who lost everything he owned by following a tip he heard on the show.) This is not one of Clooney's major movies like Michael Clayton or The Descendants, but it is suspenseful and often quite funny, and its resolution-with-a-price keeps it out of the "caper" category.

#31053 - 06/06/16 09:56 AM Re: Current Movies 2016 [Re: Barbara]
Rita Offline

Loc: St. Paul, MN
Yes, this is a good one, and the TV show itself is a parody of Mad Money with its show-biz financial advisor. Fortunately, Julia Roberts didn't have to walk much or laugh, so she was tolerable. Clooney was Clooney, with more gray hairs than I've seen before.

#31072 - 06/21/16 11:07 AM Re: Current Movies 2016 [Re: Barbara]
Jon Offline

The "National Theatre Live" movie showings that I've seen have all been enjoyable and worthwhile, but I've had to drive an hour or so to get to a theater showing them.

Tonight, for a change, it's only two miles, to the nearest mall. Perhaps they're hoping that this will have wider appeal: a repeat showing of One Man, Two Guv'nors with James Corden -- the play which won him a Tony as Best Actor in 2012 when it moved to Broadway. As the title suggests, it's a modern-day (actually 1963, set in Brighton) adaptation of Goldoni's The Servant of Two Masters. I'm looking forward to it.

#31073 - 06/22/16 09:01 AM Re: Current Movies 2016 [Re: Barbara]
Jon Offline

I really enjoyed it. The live interaction with an audience (literally in a couple of cases, as members of the audience are pulled in to help out with the farce plot) obviously isn't the same when you're watching events on a screen, but I was still laughing helplessly on several occasions. These NT Live events are a great thing to have.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Rita