Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#31085 - 07/18/16 11:35 AM Re: Current Movies 2016 [Re: Jon]
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Loc: Citrus Heights, CA , US
That one didn't show here. I would dearly love to see a production of the original Goldoni, which keeps popping up in theater history books but I've never known of an actual performance. Tomorrow night there's an NTL showing of The Audience with Helen Mirren. My son saw it live in New York; he said it isn't much of a play, mostly a showpiece for Mirren. But that was enough. smile

While the board was down, I posted the following on Facebook (I still don't like that place). It's probably dated now, but here goes anyway:

If you have a chance to see Love and Friendship before it leaves the theaters, don't miss it. L&F is the title of Jane Austen's first novel, but the movie itself is the story of Lady Susan, her second novel (both written when she was a teenager). I'm sure the filmmakers had an excellent reason for borrowing the earlier title; I only wish I knew what it was. The satire is less subtle than in her mature works, and for that very reason it makes a perfect rebuttal to those who think Jane Austen wrote romantic novels. There's no way anyone could watch L&F and think it's a romance. Alas, there is one thing in the movie I didn't like: the wigs. They're terrible.

#31099 - 07/20/16 03:20 PM Re: Current Movies 2016 [Re: Barbara]
Rita Offline

Loc: St. Paul, MN
Long gone from here...if it ever was here. I don't remember seeing it advertised.

#31132 - 07/27/16 08:09 PM Re: Current Movies 2016 [Re: Rita]
Austin
Unregistered

I can't let Star Trek Beyond pass without mention. (Beyond what? Imagination?) These movies are probably more fun for someone who never saw the original cast (is there such a person?), but I enjoyed it all the same. Very fast-moving, very ensemble...all the crew got their moments on the screen. I had trouble understanding what Chekov was saying, because the fake accent was hard to hear through. Good summer flick.

#31133 - 07/27/16 10:23 PM Re: Current Movies 2016 [Re: ]
Barbara Offline
Administrator

This one is more intense than the other Trek movies with this new cast; the danger seems more real. There's even tension in the quiet scenes, although there aren't many of those. It's a busy screen, filled with hi-tech gimmickry (a J.J. Abrams trademark) -- but the matte paintings showing distance are too clearly fake. The story makes sense, most of the time. And it is indeed fast-paced. I really like Karl Urban's Dr. McCoy; he's the only one in this cast who makes me believe he'll become the original character in time.

#31135 - 07/28/16 12:26 PM Re: Current Movies 2016 [Re: Barbara]
Lorna Offline

Loc: Dayton, Ohio
One thing I don't like is the romance between Spock and Uhura. It's completely out of character for Spock. Whatever happened to Pon Farr?

#31136 - 07/28/16 07:15 PM Re: Current Movies 2016 [Re: Lorna]
David Dvorkin Offline

Loc: Denver, Colorado, USA
The Spock-Uhura romance was hinted at in the first episodes of the original show. In the very first episode, as I remember it, Spock was not entirely unemotional.

#31137 - 07/28/16 09:11 PM Re: Current Movies 2016 [Re: David Dvorkin]
Christopher Offline

Hmm, I don't remember a hint of romance, unless you call Nurse Chapel's unrequited yen for Spock a romance. I do remember in the very first episode Spock's smiling in delight over a flower...but that was when Christopher Pike was still captain. But once the show was revamped on orders from NBC, Pike was gone and Kirk was in, Spock became more robot-like, and Majel Barrett was demoted from second-in-command to nurse. But yes, this current Spock is more like nine-tenths human than just half. Maybe he just doesn't want to wait for Pon Farr.

#31139 - 07/28/16 10:23 PM Re: Current Movies 2016 [Re: Christopher]
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Hold on a sec, Chris -- you're talking about "The Cage". That was the first episode written but it wasn't the first one shown; it's the one in which Spock shows such delight over a flower. "The Cage" was later broken up into segments and incorporated into "The Menagerie". The first episode shown was "Where No Man Has Gone Before"; maybe that's the one David was referring to -- although I don't remember any hint of romance in that one either.

#31142 - 07/29/16 07:05 PM Re: Current Movies 2016 [Re: Barbara]
David Dvorkin Offline

Loc: Denver, Colorado, USA
My vague memory is always too vague, so I Googled a bit. Other fans remember something between Spock and Uhura, but the only specific reference I could find was to the episode Charlie X, where Spock plays the Vulcan lyre in the rec room while Uhura sings to him, the scene containing flirtation and sexual tension.

#31144 - 07/30/16 06:24 PM Re: Current Movies 2016 [Re: David Dvorkin]
Austin
Unregistered

After Saturday errand-running was finished, I dug out my old VHS tape of "Charlie X", dusted it off, and took a look. The flirtation in the rec room...it was a put-on! There were other people in the room, and Uhura performed this parody of seductive singing, aimed at Spock who everybody knew was the least likely male on the Enterprise to respond. She even got a couple of laughs out of her audience. And all the time Spock had this wry little smile on his face. He knew he was the butt of the joke.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Rita