Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2561 - 04/22/10 07:52 PM Chat Chat
Rita Offline

Loc: St. Paul, MN
We have Ping Pong Chat and Trivia Chat, so now here's Chat Chat, for showbiz stuff that doesn't fit in anywhere else. Like this:

Michael Douglas's son was sentenced to 5 years for dealing, Heather Locklear was arrested for a hit-and-run, Marie Osmond's son committed suicide. All is not well in La-La Land.

#2562 - 04/22/10 09:12 PM Re: Chat Chat
Kay Offline

Loc: Roanoke, VA , USA
Sounds like the good old days, when Fatty Arbuckle was involved in the death of a starlet and Charlie Chaplin that of a director...and that was even before I was born...Chaplin managed to get into more kinds of hot water than you can name.

#2563 - 04/24/10 11:27 AM Re: Chat Chat
Christopher Offline

I read that the usual sentence for drug trafficking was 10 years, but Cameron Douglas got only 5 because Famous Daddy and friends wrote 27 letters to the judge asking for clemency.

#2564 - 04/24/10 01:18 PM Re: Chat Chat
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Loc: Citrus Heights, CA , US
That sounds quite OJ-ish, but the judge said this might be Cameron Douglas's last chance. It could be a humane judgment, unless the judge was making excuses for showing leniency to a member of a celebrity family. Who knows.

#2565 - 03/27/11 08:01 AM Re: Chat Chat
Jon Offline

Loc: Newark, Delaware, USA
If this is really for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere: I saw two shows recently in New York, one delightful, the other unforgettable.

A week ago, the musical Where's Charley? as part of the musicals-in-staged-concert series Encores! Based on the venerable farce Charley's Aunt, Frank Loesser's first stage musical, and originally a vehicle for Ray Bolger, it is rarely done (and the film never shown). One can see Loesser finding his way in the medium (he certainly mastered it by his next try, Guys and Dolls), songs are inserted in odd spots and sometime to peripheral purpose. But they're still good songs, the comedy still works, and the performances were charmingly appropriate (Rob McClure sold his big solo "Once in Love with Amy" with a gentle charisma that marks him as a find). It was also a pleasure to see Rebecca Luker and Howard McGillin so nicely matured into the older generation of characters, beautiful voices intact.

And yesterday I saw my favorite play of the past quarter-century, Tom Stoppard's Arcadia, in a production as close to ideal as such things can get. I saw Trevor Nunn's original production 15 years ago, and David Leveaux's is its match, as the four others I've seen in the interirm were not quite (despite good individual elements). Standouts: Lia Williams as the first really satisfying Hannah I've seen, Tom Riley as the 1809 tutor Septimus, doing what I thought impossible by surpassing Billy Crudup's superb professional debut in the role back in 1995. And, happily, Billy Crudup himself, now portraying the sloppily flamboyant researcher Bernard Nightingale and doing more than I would have believed possible with him. What a really superb actor Billy Crudup is.

#2566 - 03/27/11 03:32 PM Re: Chat Chat
Rita Offline

Loc: St. Paul, MN
It's posts like that that make me drool. Jon, you've sung Billy Crudup's praises before, and I'm sure I'm missing something. I think the only movie I've seen him in is Mission Impossible III, which I barely remember.

#2567 - 03/28/11 10:28 AM Re: Chat Chat
Pete Offline

Loc: Newport News, Virginia, USA
Public Television has gone into a rather frantic begging mode recently, probably as a result of a huge impending cut in government support. Anyway, last night they spent all evening presenting a concert version of Les Miz, with what looked like a triple cast--anyway, scores and scores of singers in the chorus. I had never heard it before. I know it's immensely popular (anything that runs that long must be!), but is it good?

#2568 - 03/29/11 08:29 PM Re: Chat Chat
Kay Offline

Loc: Roanoke, VA , USA
I saw it live at least 17 years ago...and liked it a lot, although as much for the staging as the music, some of which is quite derivative...as I was reminded last week listening to the humming chorus in Butterfly, which is Oh-so-close to "Bring Him Home."

Well done, it's great theatre...

#2569 - 04/04/11 11:51 AM Re: Chat Chat
Jon Offline

Loc: Newark, Delaware, USA
Rita, for movies that feature Billy Crudup more prominently, I might name THe Hi-Lo Country, Waking the Dead, Almost Famous, Big Fish, and Stage Beauty. He's very good in them, but I do think that (like a few others I can think of) his real greatness comes across in live performance onstage. I remember that 15 years ago, the movie magazines would routinely include him in their lists of "the next 10 big stars," year after year. And he got some big movie roles and did well with them, but it didn't really happen. Possibly because it's not really what he most wanted. He keeps coming back to the stage, for which I am grateful.

#3923 - 11/04/11 03:18 PM Re: Chat Chat [Re: Rita]
Christopher Offline

Forbes has come up with a list of the ten most overpaid actors in Hollywood. Heading the list is Drew Barrymore, whose movies earn 40 cents for every dollar she is paid. There might be a few surprises here:

1. Drew Barrymore
2. Eddie Murphy
3. Will Ferrell
4. Reese Witherspoon
5. Denzel Washington
6. Nicolas Cage
7. Adam Sandler
8. Vince Vaughn
9. Tom Cruise
10. Nicole Kidman

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Rita