Page 20 of 20 < 1 2 18 19 20
Topic Options
#3966 - 11/09/11 10:29 PM Re: Opera 3 [Re: Kay]
Jon Offline

Loc: Newark, Delaware, USA
Well, no. I thought my addendum established it as MORE incestuous than you'd said.

#3976 - 11/10/11 07:41 PM Re: Opera 3 [Re: Kay]
Kay Offline

Loc: Roanoke, VA , USA
Those mythological people really liked to keep it all in the family.

#4047 - 11/19/11 07:50 PM Re: Opera 3 [Re: Kay]
Kay Offline

Anybody make it to the Philip Glass today?
I had planned to go but real life interfered.

Edited by Kay (11/19/11 07:51 PM)

#4058 - 11/21/11 04:30 PM Re: Opera 3 [Re: Kay]
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Loc: Citrus Heights, CA , US
I did, and, frankly, I wish I'd given it a miss. I know I'm supposed to be mesmerized by the repetition and led to an elevated emotional state, but I just couldn't get into it. I found Satyagraha pretentious and tedious. The libretto is made up of lines from the Bhagavad-Gita, sung in Sanskrit with no subtitles on the screen (someone at the Met decided the words would be a distraction). Occasionally a line of text would be projected onto the stage, in English; those lines did have subtitles...also in English. We were treated to such profundities as "Working is more excellent than doing nothing."

There was more going on visually in this production than anything else -- giant puppets, newspapers that served many purposes, people on stilts. Some of it reminded me of the "experimental theatre" staging back in the 60s, but it was all necessary as there was virtually no action for the singers to perform. What action was done, was done in slow motion. Take a slow step, pause, pause some more, now a little more, take another step, etc.; you can eat up ten minutes just crossing the stage that way. The opera is made up of a series of tableaux rather than following a linear plot, which would be fine if you knew what the tableaux represented. For instance, Ghandi makes his first appearance crumpled on the floor next to a suitcase. The audience is supposed to know he has just been tossed off a train for refusing to ride in the back with the rest of the Indians because he'd bought a first-class ticket. You really have to do your homework for this one. I didn't, and so I missed a lot.

Richard Croft has a beautiful voice, and I think all the singing was good; it was a little hard for me to tell. I marveled at the singers' ability to keep track of exactly how many times to repeat a phrase. Ghandi sings the last notes in the opera, a five-note ascending phrase that he sings thirty times in succession. My apologies to any Glass enthusiasts here, but I just couldn't take this opera seriously.

#4059 - 11/21/11 08:44 PM Re: Opera 3 [Re: Kay]
Kay Offline

Thanks...I don't feel so bad about having to missed it! The only Glass I can recall is Koyaanisqatsi, which I saw years ago on TV...and I think the wild images made the music somehow coherent.

#4061 - 11/21/11 08:49 PM Re: Opera 3 [Re: Kay]
Austin
Unregistered

Hate to reveal myself as a nudnik, but everything by Glass I've heard sounds alike.

#4064 - 11/22/11 10:25 PM Re: Opera 3 [Re: ]
Rita Offline

Loc: St. Paul, MN
I think I saw that Koyaanisqatsi telecast too, or part of it. That's the one with time-lapse photography of night traffic...streaks of light, constantly repeating, with fast music, also constantly repeating?

#4065 - 11/22/11 11:31 PM Re: Opera 3 [Re: Rita]
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Loc: Citrus Heights, CA , US
Yes, that was part of it. The film started with slow-motion natural images that gave way to speeded-up industrial images, including traffic.

You know what? We're in the wrong topic. Kay asked about Glass here, and we responded here -- but all this should be in the Opera 4 topic.

I'm going to lock this topic.

Page 20 of 20 < 1 2 18 19 20

Moderator:  Jon