#4705 - 02/27/12 11:03 AM Re: Opera 4 [Re: Barbara]
Lorna Offline

Loc: Dayton, Ohio
Guys, I was KIDDING!!

#4706 - 02/27/12 03:19 PM Re: Opera 4 [Re: Lorna]
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Loc: Citrus Heights, CA , US
Kinda thought you might be. grin Of course intermissions contribute to the time actually spent in the theater; I was surprised myself to leave in a little less than three and a half hours. So Ernani ties with the 5-act Don Carlos for the longest Verdi opera; I would never have guessed that.

But cherce it was indeed. Every time I hear Angela Meade sing, I'm astonished all over again. Oh yes, there were men in the opera, and they all sang real purdy too; Marcello Giordani was in especially fine fettle. The production was not new, but it was an excellent one; I'm glad they revived it.

Have you all seen The Audition, the documentary about the final rounds of the 2007 Met auditions for new talent? One slim blond soprano said in an interview that the hefty singers had an advantage in that they could get more air into their lungs than slimmer singers could. That let them sing long legato lines without having to take a breath; she couldn't do that. And sure enough, she wasn't one of the winners. But Angela Meade was.

#4727 - 03/03/12 01:57 PM Re: Opera 4 [Re: Barbara]
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Is anyone else having trouble getting the Aida broadcast? The transmission stopped for 10 or 15 minutes -- nothing, just dead air. Then it came back for a minute and then stopped again. Now Margaret Juntwait is talking...will it last this time? I can't tell whether the problem is local or at the source.

#4730 - 03/03/12 05:17 PM Re: Opera 4 [Re: Barbara]
Christopher Offline

I tuned in late, but there's been no interruption of the broadcast here.

#4731 - 03/03/12 08:20 PM Re: Opera 4 [Re: Barbara]
Kay Offline

Loc: Roanoke, VA , USA
Hmmm...I posted a response much earlier, noting that there were apparently tech problems at the Met's end. Our local station filled with a canned interview with the director of our local opera company...later Juntwait and somebody else killed a little more time for them.

#4733 - 03/04/12 02:15 AM Re: Opera 4 [Re: Kay]
Barbara Offline
Administrator

So it was the Met. I don't think anyone at the Sacramento station was even listening; otherwise there would have been some sort of announcement at least.

I didn't care much for Giordani today, but that was one heckuva debut for Latonia Moore. A real star-is-born moment.

#4794 - 03/17/12 09:37 PM Re: Opera 4 [Re: Barbara]
Kay Offline

No wonder Barbara hasn't commented on today's opera...her computer is on the fritz...she'll be back when she can,.

#4909 - 04/07/12 09:23 PM Re: Opera 4 [Re: Kay]
Lorna Offline

Loc: Dayton, Ohio
I loved Manon! Anna Netrebko was fantastic, and Piotr Beczala kept up with her every step of the way. What a good pairing! The flexible set was rather drab, but it did make a good background for the elaborate costumes. I knew only three arias from this opera, but the rest of it was melodic and quite satisfying.

Only one thing I did not like, and that was the ballet. Movements that were meant to be in unison quite often weren't...the dancers didn't all start and stop at precisely the same moment, arm positions didn't match, etc. The dancers were clearly underrehearsed. But fortunately the ballet was very brief, only a few minutes, and the rest of the opera was just grand.

#4913 - 04/08/12 02:52 PM Re: Opera 4 [Re: Barbara]
Kay Offline

I missed it! Maybe it will get a "repeat"...

#4918 - 04/09/12 08:17 PM Re: Opera 4 [Re: Kay]
Barbara Offline
Administrator

They all have repeat performances, Kay.

I wasn't as enamoured as Lorna was, but I'll admit I enjoyed it more than I'd expected to. I'm not a big Massenet fan, although in high school I memorized the words of "Profitons bien de la jeunesse" and even tried singing it (when no one else was at home!). Manon must have the most boring opening in opera, and the libretto's clumsy handling of the plot is annoying. But once Netrebko and Beczala started to sing, all was forgiven. They WERE fantastic. Netrebko's voice sometimes seemed rather earthy for this role, but I liked that mature, sumptuous sound. The staging was clever. The sets -- hated the color, but they too were cleverly manipulated. It's just at times the setting seemed a little too modernistic for the faux-Victorian costumes the singers were wearing. And yes, the ballet needed more rehearsal. So how do you grade a flawed opera with an imperfect production and absolutely gorgeous singing? Why, A+, of course.

Page 6 of 10 < 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >

Moderator:  Jon