Page 7 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#2557 - 08/31/11 10:09 PM Re: Not-so-current movies
Kay Offline

Loc: Roanoke, VA , USA
What Potter films I've seen have been on TV, often with commercial interruptions. I KNOW it's hard to please book fans with movie interpretations but I sort of dumped the Potter flicks after they omitted some of my favorite moments in "Chamber of Secrets."

The casting is good, but it is awfully hard to do justice to a book that has a cult following, I think.

#2558 - 09/08/11 06:38 AM Re: Not-so-current movies
Anonymous
Unregistered

Following a Ping-pong conversation, here are the Jack Nicholson films that I've seen:

Easy Rider
Five Easy Pieces
Carnal Knowledge
The King of Marvin Gardens
The Last Detail
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Reds
Terms of Endearment
A Few Good Men
As Good as it Gets

Not all that many, in fact!

#2559 - 09/08/11 01:48 PM Re: Not-so-current movies
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Loc: Citrus Heights, CA , US
You haven't seen Chinatown? Oh, rent it, Andrew. It's his best, IMO.

#2560 - 09/08/11 04:19 PM Re: Not-so-current movies
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes, I suppose I should get round to it. I have no intention of seeing The Shining. And The King of Marvin Gardens was one of the most boring films I've ever seen (other non-Nicholson contenders: Il Deserto Rosso, Dillinger is Dead, Persona, Interiors). Carnal Knowledge wasn't up to much, either, though well-acted. It was a let-down after Five Easy Pieces, which still has my vote as the best of his that I've seen.

#4106 - 11/27/11 07:29 PM Re: Not-so-current movies [Re: Anonymous]
Barbara Offline
Administrator

If you get Showtime, keep an eye out for a little movie called Big Fan. No name actors; the lead is played by a stand-up comedian named Patton Oswalt, and he does a terrific job with the role. He plays a loser named Paul, a childish man who still lives with his mother, works at a dead-end job in a parking garage, and resists all pressures to better himself. His lawyer brother arranges a job interview for him, but Paul won't go. Because he's happy; he's found something that fulfills him...and that's football. Specifically, the New York Giants. Paul worships the turf they play on. He and a buddy go to all the Giants' home games, where they sit in the parking lot stuffing themselves with food while listening to the game on the radio(!). Football is Paul's reason for living.

Then by chance Paul meets the star player on the Giants team, but because of a misunderstanding, the player turns on him and beats him to a pulp. Paul is hospitalized; what he does when he's released makes up the rest of the movie, and I'm not going to give that away. I'll just add that there's one scene toward the end showing Paul going into a sports bar, where he's surrounded by a mob of people just like him. The point's made that Paul is not just one isolated nut case, but instead he's symptomatic of a national mania. (International, I guess, if you include soccer fans.) These people have made sports into their religion. Big Fan is funny, but it's a dark humor, and a little bit scary.

#4111 - 11/28/11 01:54 PM Re: Not-so-current movies [Re: Barbara]
Jon Offline

Loc: Newark, Delaware, USA
Andrew, I agree with you about avoiding The Shining, and with Barbara about seeing Chinatown. Faye Dunaway is at her very best in that too, and I also think that Jerry Goldsmith's music (written in 10 days when the producer threw out a previous score) has a lot to do with how memorable the movie is.

No argument about The King of Marvin Gardens, and my condolences for sitting through it. (I think of it as pretty obscure now; how did you come across it?) Coincidentally, I just yesterday bumped into Pauline Kael's withering remark that "when [Nicholson] tried to give a quiet performance in The King of Marvin Gardens, he was so self-effacingly serious that he was a dead spot on the screen." Nicholson also directed a handful of films, but I can't in good conscience recommend any of them as a pleasurable experience.

Barbara, Patton Oswalt seems to have a following, though I myself am unfamiliar with his stand-up work. He turns up on TV fairly often, it seems, and has had recurring roles on a couple of sitcoms. And he provided the voice for the main character in the animated Ratatouille.

#4117 - 11/28/11 07:45 PM Re: Not-so-current movies [Re: Jon]
Andrew Offline

Loc: York, England
[quote=Jon]No argument about The King of Marvin Gardens, and my condolences for sitting through it. (I think of it as pretty obscure now; how did you come across it?)[quote]

Er, because Jack Nicholson was in it. These days, I always seem to mix it up (for obvious reasons) with Atlantic City, which I really enjoyed.

#4118 - 11/28/11 07:46 PM Re: Not-so-current movies [Re: Barbara]
Mike Offline

Loc: Brooklyn
I saw that Big Fan, its a good movie. I know a lot of guys like Paul, too many.

#4576 - 02/01/12 11:30 PM Re: Not-so-current movies [Re: Mike]
Barbara Offline
Administrator

In the Music forum, I mentioned that The Enchanted Island was a feel-good opera. After a while something clicked and I realized I'd seen a feel-good movie recently I'd neglected to mention. It's Real Steel. When it first came out, I sort of dismissed it because boxing robots are not high on my list of things I'm fascinated by. But then Austin mentioned somewhere that it was a much better movie than what it sounded like. So I read a couple of reviews and, yes, it sounded pretty good.

I caught it in a second-run theater here, and I sat there grinning through almost the entire movie. It's not just machines smashing up other machines, like the Transformers movies; it has a real story with believable characters and dialogue that's clever and funny. The plot is the familiar sports story (rise of the underdog), and the robots are fantastic. Hugh Jackman plays a down-on-his-luck manager of a robot that's seen better days, and...oh, see it if you can. It's showing on DirecTV Cinema right now, which means it'll be on HBO or Showtime before long.

So...thanks, Austin.

#4585 - 02/02/12 08:34 PM Re: Not-so-current movies [Re: Barbara]
Mike Offline

Loc: Brooklyn
Good movie.

Page 7 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Rita