Page 9 of 10 < 1 2 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#5002 - 04/20/12 08:50 PM Re: Opera 4 [Re: Barbara]
Kay Offline

Loc: Roanoke, VA , USA
Only one appearance by Hvorostovsky, the Russian who is the best Verdi baritone I've heard since....Warren, maybe....but what a role for him...and based on the "preview" they will be doing it with a Mafia theme...moving it up from Colonial times (and even farther away from Sweden)

And Fleming as Desdemona....I don't think I've heard her to that role before.

#5004 - 04/20/12 11:30 PM Re: Opera 4 [Re: Kay]
Christopher Offline

I had it in my head that Kovanchina would be shown...don't know where I got that idea. But it's a rather odd assortment. No Puccini and four Verdi, two of them back-to=back.

Andrew, have you seen The Tempest? Wiki says Keenlyside sang Prospero in the Covent Garden premiere.

#5006 - 04/21/12 05:55 AM Re: Opera 4 [Re: Christopher]
Andrew Offline

Loc: York, England
Yes,but not at Covent Garden and not with Keenlyside. I saw it in Frankfurt in January 2010 (and Mefistofele next day). It was performed "in englischer Sprache mit deutschen Ubertiteln". It started very well with the storm but thereafter it was rather bitty, and scandalously did not use Shakespeare's text most of the time (the guilty party was someone called Meredith Oakes but I'm sure that Adès could have demanded Shakespeare if he'd wanted to). The Prospero (Adrian Eröd) was also a bit underwhelming. Cyndia Sieden, the stratospheric Ariel, was the only cast-member to have been in the Covent Garden premiere. Probably worth seeing, and I imagine that the Met will provide a good staging.

#5010 - 04/21/12 06:05 PM Re: Opera 4 [Re: Andrew]
Rita Offline

Loc: St. Paul, MN
"Probably worth seeing"...once? Will you go see it again?

#5011 - 04/21/12 06:41 PM Re: Opera 4 [Re: Barbara]
Andrew Offline

Loc: York, England
Well, no, unless they restore Shakespeares's words. It's my favourite Shakespeare play by a long chalk.

#5012 - 04/21/12 10:27 PM Re: Opera 4 [Re: Barbara]
Kay Offline

Should be intresting to com;pare TheTempest to this season's Enchanted Isle...

#5015 - 04/22/12 08:00 AM Re: Opera 4 [Re: Andrew]
Rita Offline

Loc: St. Paul, MN
I don't see how they can restore Shakespeare's words without rewriting all the music, and that's not going to happen. Wiki has some examples of how the language is "compacted", such as:

Five fathoms deep
Your father lies
Those are pearls
That were his eyes

Can't say I care much for that.

#5016 - 04/22/12 02:41 PM Re: Opera 4 [Re: Barbara]
Kay Offline

Full fathom five thy father lies;
Of his bones are coral made;
Those are pearls that were his eyes;
Nothing of him that doth fade,
But doth suffer a sea-change
Into something rich and strange.
Sea-nymphs hourly ring his knell:
Ding-dong.
Hark! now I hear them — Ding-dong, bell.

NO WAY to improve on the original...

Edited by Kay (04/22/12 02:42 PM)

#5019 - 04/22/12 05:28 PM Re: Opera 4 [Re: Rita]
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Loc: Citrus Heights, CA , US
It's extremely difficult for me to put a Shakespeare play out of my mind and watch a Shakespeare-based opera as a different work altogether; I'm still in shock from Thomas's Hamlet. Some years back, every time the Met broadcast Otello, someone on one of the intermission programs would announce he preferred the opera version of the story to Shakespeare's. I could weep! YouTube has a few clips from Adès's Tempest. My flaky computer would allow me to watch only one of them, but that one shows Ariel singing an impossibly difficult passage. Soprano Cindia Seydon makes it possible, though; she does a beautiful job with the music. But her words are almost totally incomprehensible. Thank heaven for subtitles.

I'm delighted to see Elena Garanca on the schedule. I'd still love to see her Dalila; I know she's sung it in Germany, perhaps elsewhere. But Tito is looking good. grin

#5020 - 04/22/12 07:38 PM Re: Opera 4 [Re: Barbara]
Kay Offline

The one thing Otello has that Shakespeare did not contribute is Iago's Credo. And it works in the opera, but somehow I don't think it would work in the drama...Oh, and I'm afraid I find "un baccio, etc" much more moving than "I kissed thee err etc."

Come to think of it, I believe I like Falstaff better than Merry Wives, too....

Page 9 of 10 < 1 2 7 8 9 10 >

Moderator:  Jon