Page 4 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12 >
Topic Options
#2812 - 08/06/11 01:40 PM Re: Current Movies (2011)
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Loc: Citrus Heights, CA , US
I enjoyed every minute. The movie is based on a comic book and lists seven additional writers; I imagine these guys made up lists of their favorite western and SF clichés and then played them absolutely straight...and made them work! One quickie example. There's one man who doesn't know how to shoot a gun but is trying to learn. So we get two brief scenes showing him shooting at bottles on a log and missing every time. Now, everyone who's ever seen a movie knows that's a set-up. At some crucial moment, he's going to fire the perfect shot that will make a big difference in whatever's happening at the time. We not only know it's coming, we want it to come. And when it does -- oh, how satisfying! It's an Ah, yes! moment. The movie is filled with just such moments.

No more just now; I don't want to give anything else away.

#2813 - 08/06/11 04:11 PM Re: Current Movies (2011)
Rita Offline

Loc: St. Paul, MN
Yes, that's exactly what it is...all these familiar twists and situations done without condescension or tongue-in-cheek. Like meeting a lot of old friends all at once in the same place. I loved it.

Chris, hurry up, willya?

#2814 - 08/08/11 10:38 PM Re: Current Movies (2011)
Christopher Offline

Loved it, absolutely loved it! They even got a little James Bond in there, too. Remember how the early Bond movies (Connery, Moore) built up to the discovery of some vast underground facility where rockets were ready to be launched, or the world's water supply was going to be poisoned, or some such high falutin' plan always aimed at...gasp!...world domination. The buried part of the spaceship duplicated that very nicely. And the hero almost doesn't get out in time...ha! Loved that. A very enjoyable two hours.

#2815 - 08/12/11 06:12 PM Re: Current Movies (2011)
Barbara Offline
Administrator

And after the James Bond finale, there's a spaghetti western coda, to balance the Clint Eastwood opening, and the hero rides off into the sunset. I loved the alien abduction sequences. They start off the way they always do (Close Encounters, X-Files, etc.): a great rumbling noise, objects rattling on the shelves, a blinding light -- but then, instead of being levitated up or beamed up, the abductees are lassoed up! Well, some alien version of the lasso, but they're all hauled up into the ships by rope. I got a big kick out of that.

Has anyone had a chance to see The Guard, Brendan Gleeson's new movie? It's in limited release and not showing anywhere in my zip code area. My son says it's playing to sold-out audiences in one Boston theater, and it is VERY entertaining.

[This message has been edited by Barbara (edited 08-12-2011).]

#2816 - 08/12/11 07:16 PM Re: Current Movies (2011)
Anonymous
Unregistered

The Guard opens in Britain next week. The Guardian has a little bit about it, plus more if you click the Don Cheadle link.

#2817 - 08/13/11 03:37 PM Re: Current Movies (2011)
Lorna Offline

Loc: Dayton, Ohio
It's not playing here or is even on any schedule that I can see.

One line especially in C&A I liked. The human-appearing woman who turns out to be a good alien says, "I took this form so I could walk among you." And she even manages to keep a straight face while she says it!

#2818 - 08/17/11 10:19 AM Re: Current Movies (2011)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Rise of the Planet of the Apes...I wasn't planning to see this until it started getting such great reviews. Since everybody already knows what's going to happen, you watch to see HOW it happens. Then that becomes "How did they do that?" The apes are the most realistic I've ever seen in a movie.

*************SPOILER************

The big irony in this movie is that the apes' increased intelligence and ability to speak comes from an advance in medicine meant to benefit humans, a drug that reverses the effects of Alzheimer's. They tried it out first on apes...and look what happened.

#2819 - 08/17/11 02:29 PM Re: Current Movies (2011)
Lorna Offline

Loc: Dayton, Ohio
Yes, only the orangutan looked like a man in a monkey suit. All the others were incredibly real-looking. How DID they do that? It wasn't just ordinary computer animation.

#2820 - 08/30/11 12:57 PM Re: Current Movies (2011)
Anonymous
Unregistered

I saw The Guard yesterday - very enjoyable. It has one of the ten standard plots (mismatched characters having to co-operate), and the story is mostly pretty straightforward, but the dialogue is great if you don't mind a lot of swearing. There are a few unexpected twists, but nothing like the ones in In Bruges (written and directed by the brother of The Guard's writer-director).

Good acting all round, too. It's very much Brendan Gleeson's film, with Don Cheadle at one point disappearing for some time. I wasn't entirely clear whether the ending was happy or unhappy, but maybe I missed something.

The cinema was unusually full and there were a lot of guffaws (many of them from me).

#3655 - 10/01/11 06:49 PM Re: Current Movies (2011) [Re: Christopher]
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Yesterday a couple of friends and I went to see The Debt, only to find it had been pulled from the theater without any advance warning. So we saw Killer Elite instead, and I think I can safely say I've had enough screen violence now to last me until, oh, May, 2027. It's about three violent men, played by Jason Statham, Clive Owen, and Robert Di Niro, in descending order of importance to the plot. They were backed up by a large supporting cast, all of them violent men except one (The Girl). You needed a score card to keep track of them all, and a road map would have been helpful in following that plot. Nevertheless, the three of us sat there intrigued the whole hour and 40 minutes it lasted; I'm not sure what that says about us OR the movie.

But I am sorry to have missed The Debt. I don't believe I've ever seen Helen Mirren and Tom Wilkinson act together before; that alone is enough to draw me to the movie. Did anyone here see it?

Page 4 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12 >

Moderator:  Rita