Page 11 of 12 < 1 2 9 10 11 12 >
Topic Options
#6167 - 11/24/12 08:28 PM Re: Current Movies (2011) [Re: Barbara]
Kay Offline

Loc: Roanoke, VA , USA
Saw "Lincoln" today...very well done, DD-L is excellent, of course...and Sally Field is surprisingly good as Mrs. L.

#6168 - 11/25/12 03:04 PM Re: Current Movies (2011) [Re: Kay]
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Loc: Citrus Heights, CA , US
I haven't seen Lincoln, but the previews reminded me of how light Daniel Day-Lewis's voice is. I don't know what the real Lincoln sounded like, but methinks a movie Lincoln should have a deep and resonant voice.

The previews also showed the end of the Gettysburg Address, which Day-Lewis read the way everybody does: "...OF the people, BY the people, FOR the people..." When I was a child, I read a piece in Reader's Digest that was an interview with a very old man who'd actually been in Gettysburg at the time. He said that the way Lincoln said it was "...of the PEOPLE, by the PEOPLE, for the PEOPLE..." I've never heard anyone read it that way.

#6169 - 11/25/12 05:34 PM Re: Current Movies (2011) [Re: Barbara]
Kay Offline

That comes very near the beginning of the movie and is followed by a group of black soldiers reciting it for Lincoln...

As for Lincoln's voice, I rather suspect that it was light and that he has what today we'd call a hillbilly accent. Photography was around then but the ability to record sound was still a long way off...pity.

#6170 - 11/25/12 08:40 PM Re: Current Movies (2011) [Re: Barbara]
David Dvorkin Online

Loc: Denver, Colorado, USA
Lincoln had a high-pitched, nasal voice, despite his height.

He would never have made it in today's politics!

#6171 - 11/25/12 10:55 PM Re: Current Movies (2011) [Re: Barbara]
Kay Offline

I can just image it: Abe, you've got to shave that beard for starters...and get your hair styled. You need a voice coach while we're at it. That coat has to go, too...oh, and when you make a speech, just say "87 years ago" -don't confuse people with fancy rhetoric...

#6172 - 11/26/12 07:35 AM Re: Current Movies (2011) [Re: Barbara]
Pete Offline

Loc: Newport News, Virginia, USA
The real Lincoln had a very high voice. I don't know about his accent, but listening to the changes in speech just since the advent of talkies, I'd say it might have been quite different from what we would expect. His words have lived forever, but as an orator, he evidently wasn't considered anywhere near as good as Edward Everett.

#6174 - 11/26/12 10:35 PM Re: Current Movies (2011) [Re: Pete]
Christopher Offline

Back to Skyfall for a mo. This one is different from the earlier movies in another way, a rather surprising way. It's the only Bond film in which 007 fails to accomplish his mission. Yes, he nails the bad guy, but...
Click to reveal..
...his first priority is to protect M. In the end, he isn't able to do that. At least Dame Judi went out with a bang.

#6177 - 11/27/12 05:08 PM Re: Current Movies (2011) [Re: Christopher]
Lorna Offline

Loc: Dayton, Ohio
Click to reveal..
Oh, that's true! I hadn't thought of that. All the time I kept thinking M would pull out a gun and pop the bad guy herself. But her wound was mortal, and it was not to be. Bond DID fail. It was Judi Dench's decision to leave the Bond films. She's 77 now, and maybe it just got too demanding physically.

#6179 - 11/29/12 07:04 PM Re: Current Movies (2011) [Re: Lorna]
Rita Offline

Loc: St. Paul, MN
Something else is different, a glimpse of their private lives. M's husband died sometime between the last movie and this one. James Bond had a rather grand ancestral home in Scotland (to account for Connery's burr?).

#6337 - 12/31/12 08:41 PM Re: Current Movies (2011) [Re: Rita]
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Loc: Citrus Heights, CA , US
Last-minute catch-up before we run out of 2012 and start a new topic (this one has been running for two years!). If any of you missed Life of Pi, you missed a visual treat that needs a big screen to be at its most effective. I have never before seen computer-generated images so completely believable. Almost all the animals in the movie were computer images. There's one scene in which a terrified zebra jumps down from the sinking ship into the lifeboat and lands in a way that surely would have broken his leg if he'd been real. But he wasn't. And a scene where the tiger attacks the hyena and breaks his neck -- he didn't. CGI did. PeTA actually endorsed this movie. The non-animal parts of the movie aren't always intriguing, but the movie did reinforce an opinion I've held for some years, that the Bengal tiger is the most beautiful animal on the planet.

By the way, did you know that "No animals were harmed..." is a copyrighted phrase? It belongs to the American Humane Society. So if you ever see that phrase in the credits, it means the AHS was there every step of the way while the movie was being made.

Tom Cruise's new thriller, Jack Reacher, is a pretty good one. It has a real plot, not just an excuse for action sequences. And it's different from other thrillers in one notable way: no sex scene. Amazing.

Jack Reacher was a substitute for Hitchcock, which a friend wanted to see in spite of its bad reviews. But we waited too long and missed it. Interestingly, last month HBO showed a cable movie called The Girl that focused on Hitchcock's tormenting of Tippi Hedren during the filming of The Birds (I think Hitchcock is set at the time of Psycho). Anyway, Toby Jones made a believable Hitchcock in the HBO movie in spite of his shortness (as he made a believable Truman Capote in Infamous, where being short helped). But the more difficult role was that of Hedren, because she didn't have imitatable mannerisms as Hitchcock did. I thought Sienna Miller did a good job. Her acting was on the wooden side, as Hedren's was. And she caught her voice perfectly; there were times I could have sworn that was Tippi Hedren speaking. The Girl had a low-budget look to it, but it was interesting.

And again I'm reminded of something. Way back when impersonators were the hot act, Spencer Tracy claimed no one ever did an impersonation of him. He had no quirks or mannerisms or vocal tricks that could be imitated, and so the impersonators passed him by. This gave Tracy enormous satisfaction.

Oops, a very long post; I'll stop now.

Page 11 of 12 < 1 2 9 10 11 12 >

Moderator:  Rita