Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#6087 - 11/12/12 01:28 AM Re: Television 2012 [Re: Rita]
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Loc: Citrus Heights, CA , US
I couldn't find anything on the web that said she was leaving, but that seemed like an exit episode to me too. The burning of the loft made no sense; the point of it was to convince Card that Michael was dead -- and he was convinced, for about five minutes of screen time before Michael put a bullet in his head. It looked like burning bridges as well as the loft. And why kill off Gray? He was an interesting character, and that scene he played with Maddie in their first and only face-to-face was strong stuff. That was good television, but it was still another exit. And Michael's going to be a hunted man again; maybe he won't be able to get out of this one.

#6091 - 11/12/12 02:51 PM Re: Television 2012 [Re: Barbara]
Austin
Unregistered

Nobody ever told Maddie that it was Nate's own stupid fault that he got killed. If he'd followed instructions and done what Michael told him to do, he'd never have been in danger.

#6092 - 11/12/12 07:13 PM Re: Television 2012 [Re: ]
Christopher Offline

Burn Notice has had its problems with the city of Miami. The show leased an abandoned community center and turned it into a sound stage, and all its permanent sets are there. Miami's city commissioners saw a way to squeeze more money out of the show and announced the community center would be razed and a park would take its place. This meant demolishing the show's sound stage and forcing a moving of the sets, etc. elsewhere. This started about five years ago, and each time the commissioners agreed to delay their demolition in exchange for a hefty increase in rent. That happened again this year, with the new rent now supposedly at $80,000 a month for a building that was doing nothing but gathering dust until Burn Notice came along. (That's just an estimate and the real figure may not be that high.)

So Maddie's exit and the burning of the loft may be preparation for a move to a different city. However (and it's a big "however"), Jeffrey Donovan says he thinks this seventh season will be the last. So maybe they're just winding things down and calling it a day. That's a shame for a show that's still drawing as many viewers as The Good Wife.

#6093 - 11/12/12 10:09 PM Re: Television 2012 [Re: Christopher]
Rita Offline

Loc: St. Paul, MN
Those commissioners must have holes in their heads. They should be doing everything they can think of to keep the show and all the business it generates there. And it's great PR for the city...the only TV show shot in Miami. Dexter and CSI: Miami are both shot in California.

Speaking of Dexter...wow, what a dilemma for Dexter! How is he ever going to get out of this new hot spot?

#6104 - 11/15/12 12:21 PM Re: Television 2012 [Re: Lorna]
Jon Offline

Loc: Newark, Delaware, USA
Branching off slightly from that last comment: I occasionally try to keep track of which US TV shows are shot where -- that is, which ones aren't done in California. I can think of the following.

Miami: Burn Notice
New York: The Good Wife, 30 Rock, 666 Park Avenue, Louie, Royal Pains, Smash
Vancouver: Fringe, Psych, probably more
Honolulu: Hawaii 5-0

I'm sure that's only a start. Still, these are the exceptions.

#6121 - 11/18/12 07:25 AM Re: Television 2012 [Re: Jon]
Rita Offline

The Good Wife...New York pretending to be Chicago? That's unusual.

#6159 - 11/23/12 11:03 AM Re: Television 2012 [Re: Lorna]
Jon Offline

Loc: Newark, Delaware, USA
It is, isn't it? We have LA or Toronto or Vancouver as New York all the time, but usually if they film in NYC it's because the story is set there. But assuming that the series creators thought this story had to be set in Chicago, it would have been a nightmare. Chicago has a wonderful local theater scene of course, so actors are available. But few big names will relocate there for most of a year, at least not the ones The Good Wife has.

As a longtime Chicagoan, I remember that occasionally a series would film there (there was once a Chicago film industry -- my father was a director there), and it always got tons of local publicity, and it would never last long.

However! I discover to my chagrin that there have been THREE series filming around Chicago of late! Chicago Fire, Mob Doctor, and (just cancelled) Boss.

In the past, they've had Chicago Story, What about Joan?, Lady Blue, The Chicago Code, and Early Edition. Among, I know, many others.

#6270 - 12/17/12 04:22 PM Re: Television 2012 [Re: Kay]
Rita Offline

I can't believe it...the right person won Survivor, the second time in a row! Wow. I'm wondering if the other players just got as tired as I did of Lisa Whelchel's poor-little-me act ("This game is just too big for me...").

#6271 - 12/18/12 08:16 AM Re: Television 2012 [Re: Rita]
Austin
Unregistered

Malcolm was really pissed at Denise for voting him out of the final three, like it was some big betrayal. He conveniently ignored the fact that HE voted for HER. Her vote was betrayal while his was just strategy? Get out. I'm glad Denise won.

#6280 - 12/19/12 03:31 PM Re: Television 2012 [Re: ]
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Loc: Citrus Heights, CA , US
Do you think Penner's outing of Lisa cost her some votes? He was out for vengence, all right. Michael Skupin -- everyone remembers the moment in the Australian game when he fell face first into the fire. That was horrible, layers of skin falling off his face while he kept saying "I'll be back! I'll be back!" as he was being evacuated. But does anyone remember what he did right before that happened? He killed a boar. Sure, they were hungry, but they weren't starving. That wasn't the reason; he killed that animal to prove himself to the other players, to show he was a Mighty Hunter, a man among men, and so on. He not only admitted it, he bragged about it. We saw some of that attitude in the current game, when he was pondering going up against Malcolm in the final three so he could defeat him "one-on-one, man-to-man." Skupin wanted to be an alpha male so badly that I almost felt sorry for him. Almost.

But the only vote he got, ironically, was the one Malcolm gave him. And Lisa's only vote came from that giggly girl whose name I've already forgotten. All the rest of the jury voted for Denise, and that makes two pretty good games in a row.

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Rita