Page 9 of 12 < 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 >
Topic Options
#5390 - 06/30/12 09:10 PM Re: Current Movies (2011) [Re: Lorna]
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Loc: Citrus Heights, CA , US
Well, if The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel is still playing in your area, you might enjoy that. It's light fare, but it has a lot of good lines and a feel-good ending. Besides, you can't go wrong with a cast that includes Judi Dench, Maggie Smith, Tom Wilkinson, Celia Imrie, and Bill Nighy.

#5391 - 07/01/12 12:27 PM Re: Current Movies (2011) [Re: Barbara]
Rita Offline

Loc: St. Paul, MN
Yes, that's a goodie.

#5392 - 07/01/12 08:55 PM Re: Current Movies (2011) [Re: Rita]
Lorna Offline

Loc: Dayton, Ohio
Oh, I would love to see that! But it's not showing here, and I don't think it ever did. Phooey.

Instead of Prometheus we saw People Like Us, which was a lot better than I expected. A youngish man (Chris Pine) learns he has an older sister (Elizabeth Banks), a fact his father had kept concealed from him. Soap opera stuff, and it gets sentimental at the end, but there's an energy in the movie that keeps things moving along quite nicely. I enjoyed it, and I especially liked Elizabeth Banks. She's a formidable screen presence.

#5402 - 07/02/12 09:30 PM Re: Current Movies (2011) [Re: Barbara]
Kay Offline

Loc: Roanoke, VA , USA
Originally Posted By: Barbara
Well, if The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel is still playing in your area, you might enjoy that. It's light fare, but it has a lot of good lines and a feel-good ending. Besides, you can't go wrong with a cast that includes Judi Dench, Maggie Smith, Tom Wilkinson, Celia Imrie, and Bill Nighy.

OH! I think it is. Will give me something to do tomorrow if I am still without power at my house...and they are now saying not to expect to get it back before Saturday...That is, assuming the THEATER where is is showing has power.

The outages are very strange...whole neighborhoods out, and then there's a block with power...At least I can sleep at John's while they are in Missouri for the week.

#5412 - 07/04/12 11:42 AM Re: Current Movies (2011) [Re: Barbara]
Jon Offline

Loc: Newark, Delaware, USA
Alerted by a musician friend, I went to see Moonrise Kingdom. Because the music of Benjamin Britten is central to it -- it begins and ends with children listening to a recording (with narration) of The Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra, and the opera-for-community-performance "Noye's Fludde" is central to the story. (We hear bits of other Britten on the soundtrack too.) So that put me in a mood to enjoy it, and I did. It has a look and atmosphere all its own, and some nice performances; the roles played by Bill Murray and Frances McDormand are almost too short for it to matter that it's them, but Edward Norton as a dedicated scoutmaster and especially Bruce Willis (doing fine quiet work as the only policeman on the island) are terrific. But it was the Britten (and the orchestration lesson during the final credits) that made the movie for me.

#5414 - 07/04/12 02:01 PM Re: Current Movies (2011) [Re: Jon]
Rita Offline

Wow...I'll go.

#5415 - 07/04/12 05:20 PM Re: Current Movies (2011) [Re: Barbara]
Kay Offline

Loc: Roanoke, VA , USA
It is showing at our "art" house....now to find out if they have power...

#5452 - 07/08/12 05:58 PM Re: Current Movies (2011) [Re: Kay]
Rita Offline

I saw it, and I have only one word to say: GO.

#5480 - 07/11/12 09:33 PM Re: Current Movies (2011) [Re: Barbara]
Jon Offline

Loc: Newark, Delaware, USA
Oh, can't you say some more, Rita? smile I would love to hear what others think.

#5493 - 07/13/12 06:59 PM Re: Current Movies (2011) [Re: Jon]
Rita Offline

***********SPOILER***********

I loved the dreamlike quality of the movie, the whimsy, the unique look of the movie...and of course the music, an essential part of the fabric of the movie (that sounds pretentious, but I don't know how else to put it). Everything flowed so seamlessly into everything else. I loved the conclusion, when everyone was in the church for a second performance of Noye's Fludde...the storm was raging, the flimsy dam broke, and the water came flooding in through the town. That church, with the children all costumed as animals, truly was Noah's ark.

But there's an undertone of darkness running through the movie. Troubled children aren't receiving the help they need. A dog is killed. The mother in the family is having an affair. I have to say I've never seen Frances McDormand looking more frumpy, deliberately so. It's a sour sort of joke. You couldn't imagine a woman less likely to attract an extra-marital lover.

Jon, McDormand's and Murray's roles seemed to me about the same size as Willis's and Norton's. They were all on the screen about an equal amount of time, I'm pretty sure.

Page 9 of 12 < 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 >

Moderator:  Rita