Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#6452 - 01/20/13 04:05 AM Current Movies (2013)
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Loc: Citrus Heights, CA , US
Has anyone had the chance to see Quartet? (Maggie Smith as a retired opera star.) It's in limited release right now, but it's not showing here.

#6458 - 01/20/13 08:42 PM Re: Current Movies (2013) [Re: Barbara]
Rita Offline

Loc: St. Paul, MN
NoŽl Coward wrote a play called Quartet, but I don't think there's an opera star in it. Not the same thing?

#6463 - 01/21/13 07:52 PM Re: Current Movies (2013) [Re: Rita]
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Umm, Coward's play is called Quadrille, I'm pretty sure; I've got a copy around here somewhere. Kind of sentimental, as I recall. In the movie Quartet, Maggie Smith moves into a retirement home for performers, where she finds the residents planning a production of Rigoletto -- so it must be THAT quartet...plus (I'm guessing) Maggie and three other characters in some non-singing ensemble.

#6466 - 01/21/13 10:36 PM Re: Current Movies (2013) [Re: Barbara]
Kay Offline

Loc: Roanoke, VA , USA

#6468 - 01/22/13 12:04 PM Re: Current Movies (2013) [Re: Kay]
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Yes, I meant in addition to the Rigoletto quartet. Does anyone else remember Pauline Collins as the new young maid in the original Upstairs, Downstairs?

#6481 - 01/24/13 01:06 PM Re: Current Movies (2013) [Re: Barbara]
Jon Offline

Loc: Newark, Delaware, USA
Of course I remember Pauline Collins! Actually I've revisited those episodes pretty recently, as I now have the complete Upstairs, Downstairs DVD set.

#6485 - 01/24/13 08:49 PM Re: Current Movies (2013) [Re: Barbara]
Kay Offline

Loc: Roanoke, VA , USA
I remember Collins both in USDS and Shirley Valentine (I think she got an Oscar nomination and maybe a Golden Globe for that one).

Jon, are you watching Downton Abbey? Just curious since you have USDS on disk how you think it compares.

#6496 - 01/27/13 04:16 PM Re: Current Movies (2013) [Re: Barbara]
Jon Offline

I'm watching Downtown Abbey, yes, but to me (despite the obvious publicity hooks they've been using) there's not enough similarity between the two premises to compare them usefully. Yes, we see both above and below stairs in both. But DA is centrally concerned with the business of an heir, and the handing of the estate intact (in trust) to the next generation. And there's really nothing comparable to that in US,DS.

I think Julian Fellowes is a clever writer (I enjoyed his novel Snobs, as well as the movie Gosford Park), and he knows the Downton Abbey milieu, but perhaps his plot-invention resources are limited. He's fallen back on soapy contrivances rather often, and I find the prison sequences a deadly weight on the current series.

#6499 - 01/27/13 07:42 PM Re: Current Movies (2013) [Re: Barbara]
Jon Offline

I looked at the old thread too, and I don't think anyone here has yet talked about Argo. It's playing at theaters again, in the wake of its Academy Award nominations, and I definitely recommend it.

Everybody probably knows by now that it's based on the real "exfiltration" of 6 Americans caught in Tehran in 1979 when they escaped the embassy before its takeover, who were hid by the Canadian ambassador until the CIA got them out by giving them identities as crew of a fictitious movie scouting for locations. There's been some criticism (mostly mild) that it makes the actual escape more nail-bitingly suspenseful than the smooth operation it really was, but I find that a fair tradeoff. We know, after all, how it turned out, but the participants at the time didn't know it was going to work and it must have been terrifying till they got away -- so this puts us back in their state of mind.

Anyway, Chris Terrio wrote a sharp, effective screenplay, Ben Affleck directed it extremely well, and he also plays the role of CIA operative Tony Mendez in appropriately subdued fashion (his job, after all, is to blend in and not be remembered). And it's stuffed with great actors in supporting roles, some of them tiny but all valuable: John Goodman, Alan Arkin, Bryan Cranston, Victor Garber, Kyle Chandler, Chris Messina, Clea DuVall, Tate Donovan, Zeljko Ivanek, Titus Welliver, Philip Baker Hall, Richard Kind, and many more. Good stuff.

#6594 - 02/20/13 07:47 PM Re: Current Movies (2013) [Re: Jon]
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game has finally been made into a movie; it's in post-production now and is scheduled for a Nov. 1st release. The screen adaptation was written by Gavin Hook, who also directs. Only two names in the cast were familiar to me, Ben Kingsley and Harrison Ford. But the real stars of this movie have to be the kids. Ender is played by 15-year-old Asa Butterfield, who has already played the lead in two other movies, The Boy in the Striped Pajamas and Hugo. Here are Petra and Ender:

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Rita