Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#6482 - 01/24/13 04:02 PM Re: Opera 6 [Re: Kay]
Andrew Offline

Loc: York, England
I've seen 14 different operas by Donizetti, mostly thanks to the Wexford and Buxton Festivals. The four comedies were L'Elisir d'Amore, Don Pasquale, La Fille du Régiment and Gianni di Parigi. The ten serious ones were Lucia di Lammermoor, Maria Stuarda, L'Assedio di Calais, La Favorite, Parisina, Maria Padilla, Maria di Rohan, Roberto Devereux, Anna Bolena, Lucrezia Borgia, plus a concert performance of the semi-serio opera Linda di Chamounix. Only about another 50 to go!

#6483 - 01/24/13 07:36 PM Re: Opera 6 [Re: Andrew]
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Loc: Citrus Heights, CA , US
Wow. I've seen only six of those, and I've never even heard of a couple of others. Hurray for Wexford and Buxton. I've heard La Favorite (wearing its Italian clothes) a number of times and would dearly love to see a production of that one.

#6484 - 01/24/13 07:41 PM Re: Opera 6 [Re: Kay]
Kay Offline

Loc: Roanoke, VA , USA
Prolific little rascal, wasn't he? wink.

Sills did quite a few of those Andrew listed way back when she was queen of the New York City opera...we don't get them very much in the Colonies any more...

I was pleasantly surprised to see a very good turnout for Stuarda, given that we were blanked with snow on Friday (although Saturday was sunny and not too cold) AND it wasn't one of the A B C trio...

Rigoletto will pack the place, of course, although the Las Vegas background should give some people a turn...

And I am wondering how many Parsifal will pull in. Run time 5 hours and 40 minutes...

#6572 - 02/15/13 04:53 PM Re: Opera 6 [Re: Kay]
Jon Offline

Loc: Newark, Delaware, USA
I'll be there tomorrow for Rigoletto. It has a couple of the premiere voices of the day in it, and the new mise en scene looks at least colorful and lively. We'll see.

#6576 - 02/16/13 09:22 PM Re: Opera 6 [Re: Jon]
Rita Offline

Loc: St. Paul, MN
Waitresses in skimpy costumes and blue tights...just what Verdi wanted. Ever since these simulcasts started, I've been waiting for Rigoletto. And when it finally does come, what do we get? The Rat Pack. Bleaggh.

But Lucic was fantastic...oh, he was good! It was well worth putting up with the Las Vegas glitz just to hear him. Beczala had a rocky start but quickly settled into the role. Diana Damrau sings real purty but she can't act worth a hoot. All of which is just IMO, of course.

#6577 - 02/17/13 08:49 AM Re: Opera 6 [Re: Kay]
Pete Offline

Loc: Newport News, Virginia, USA
I watched a Parsifal on TV once. Never again. I bed the libretto could be read aloud in half an hour. Drone, drone, drone. . . .

#6578 - 02/17/13 11:01 PM Re: Opera 6 [Re: Kay]
Kay Offline

Rita pretty well nailed it...one of the people I was with, however, questioned if Nevada had vanity plates during the ratpack era...or pole dancers for that matter...

And another problem with moving the time frame...I began to wonder why, instead of singing and sobbing, he didn't just drive her to the ER...

#6580 - 02/18/13 08:57 AM Re: Opera 6 [Re: Kay]
Jon Offline

Loc: Newark, Delaware, USA
My local showing was sold out so I haven't seen the Rigoletto. I would offer the thought, though, that "what Verdi wanted" isn't really an applicable standard to apply to any production. I am pretty sure he would be horrified by ANY production of the last century or thereabouts, even those we regard as "traditional." He would not recognize the assumptions about instruments, conducting, voices, scenic design, venue, language, acting that we regard as normal now.

That doesn't mean that there can't be productions that are just bad on their own terms, of course, or that are an unacceptable mismatch to the text.

#6582 - 02/18/13 04:53 PM Re: Opera 6 [Re: Jon]
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Loc: Citrus Heights, CA , US
Jon, there's an Encore showing on March 6th.

Rita, your IMO is pretty good, methinks. There were some clever touches in the production. Rigoletto wore an Argyle sweater suggestive of a jester's motley. "Pari siamo" was not sung on an empty stage but to a barman, because everybody tells his troubles to the bartender. But such touches were superficial and insufficient to justify the setting, which fit neither the story nor the music. If someone in the 60s cursed another man, he'd either get a punch in the mouth for his trouble or the curse would be shrugged off as petulant foolishness. It would not cause the absolute terror that Rigoletto feels. While the opera has a lot of jaunty music in it, it's not the brassy, simple stuff we associate with Las Vegas. It just wasn't a fit.

In his interview, Lucic indicated without dwelling on it that he was just going along with this present production while his preference was for the traditional approach, no matter how many Rat Pack apologists were interviewed. (The last time I saw Lucic, he was singing Macbeth in another "updated" production.) All three leads were great, once "Questa o quella" had been conquered, but Lucic was greater than great. He was exciting to listen to, and I'm glad I didn't miss this misproduced performance.

#6585 - 02/19/13 02:46 PM Re: Opera 6 [Re: Kay]
Kay Offline

And if you think Rigoletto in Vegas was a misfit, how about the previews for Guilio Cesare?

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Jon