Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#7014 - 05/20/13 12:10 PM Re: Current Movies (2013) [Re: Barbara]
Lorna Offline

Loc: Dayton, Ohio
Oh, it is fun! I saw it yesterday. I'm sure I missed a lot of the Trek references, but I got some of them, such as the role-reversal. I'd better not say any more.

#7017 - 05/20/13 01:15 PM Re: Current Movies (2013) [Re: Barbara]
Andrew Offline

Loc: York, England
I went to see Pedro Almodóvar's "I'm so excited" (original title: "Los amantes pasajeros") last week. The English title is apparently homage to the Pointer Sisters, of whom I've vaguely heard. In the film, it's performed by a collection of gay aeroplane stewards, who are doing a sort of cabaret to entertain the 1st class passengers, in order to stop them thinking too much about the problem with the plane's undercarriage (the plane is scheduled to fly to Mexico but is actually flying round and round Toledo [in Spain, not Ohio!] until an airport is available for landing).

Anyway, it's quite entertaining if rather inconsequential and there are cameo roles for Antonio Banderas and Penelope Cruz. The second-class passengers have all been drugged to keep them quiet, while the 1st class passengers start to unravel, revealing various crimes that they've committed or are intending to. Eventually, the plane lands at La Mancha Airport - a Spanish in-joke, apparently: see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Mancha_Airport.

Don't know whether this will be shown in the USA. When I saw the trailer a few weeks ago, I was reminded of a hilarious Scottish TV series entitled "The High Life", featuring Alan Cumming, among others. IMDB will tell you more!

Edited by Andrew (05/20/13 02:06 PM)

#7042 - 05/29/13 09:46 PM Re: Current Movies (2013) [Re: Andrew]
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Loc: Citrus Heights, CA , US
Remember In the House? I put in a request to be notified when/if it became available. A few weeks ago I got email saying it was showing in three theaters "in your area". The nearest theater is 52 miles away! So I won't be seeing that one.

But it looks as if I'm So Excited will be playing locally, and Joss Whedon's Much Ado as well. I've put in notification requests for both of them; we'll see.

#7143 - 06/26/13 09:12 PM Re: Current Movies (2013) [Re: Barbara]
Austin
Unregistered

If you're not put off by the thought of zombies, go see Brad Pitt's World War Z. Even if you are put off by the thought of zombies, go see it. It's a tense, fast-moving, scary movie, truly scary. It's a big-budget, carefully made film, not the usual horror fare tossed off in a summer movie. I was surprised by how good it is.

#7150 - 06/27/13 01:39 PM Re: Current Movies (2013) [Re: Barbara]
Andrew Offline

Loc: York, England
I've just got back from seeing Behind the Candelabra at the York City Screen. Very good sets and excellent acting, especially by Michael Douglas. Quite a few cameo roles as well. The story is, of course, familiar, but the ending did bring a small tear to the eye. Has anyone here seen this? I gather that it was on HBO a few months ago but isn't showing in cinemas in the US.

#7151 - 06/27/13 07:39 PM Re: Current Movies (2013) [Re: Andrew]
Rita Offline

Loc: St. Paul, MN
The Liberace movie, yes, it's showing on HBO now but I haven't watched it. It won't be showing in theaters because it's a TV movie.

#7154 - 06/29/13 03:46 PM Re: Current Movies (2013) [Re: Barbara]
Jon Offline

Loc: Newark, Delaware, USA
I saw Behind the Candelabra on HBO a few weeks ago. Excellent all around, and Michael Douglas (and the writing) really surprised me with the depth of his portrayal. Matt Damon is excellent as well, and there are fine brief contributions from people like Scott Bakula, Cheyenne Jackson, Debbie Reynolds, Rob Lowe.

The whole Liberace phenomenon is one that I have been finding hard to explain to young people now. I suppose in a way that's a good thing.

Edited by Jon (06/29/13 03:47 PM)

#7155 - 06/29/13 03:59 PM Re: Current Movies (2013) [Re: Barbara]
Jon Offline

Loc: Newark, Delaware, USA
Last week I saw the new movie of Much Ado About Nothing directed by Joss Whedon and filmed in and around his house in 12 days, in B&W. It's less of a cinematic romp than the Branagh version (which I do love), being closer to a straightforward rendition of the play in modern dress. All Shakespeare's scenes are present and in the right order, I believe, though internally streamlined for a 109-minute running time.

The play's emphasis on virginity at certain points sits oddly with the modern setting, especially as we get fleeting indications of a Beatrice-Benedick affair in the past that went wrong, and none of the unpleasant things Claudio says are minimized -- rather the contrary. But Fran Kranz's convincing portrayal (I would never have expected this of him, after the stoner dude in The Cabin in the Woods) did a great deal to paint a portrait of a specific young man with some very real problems, which he may in time overcome. Of the others, I enjoyed Reed Diamond in a different sort of part from the police he usually plays, thought Amy Acker rose beautifully to the challenge of Beatrice, and want to give a special round of applause to Nathan Fillion. His Dogberry was sheer delight, and I only wished the role were longer -- he definitely benefited from having all his scenes retained (which doesn't always happen, even onstage). Recommended.

#7159 - 06/29/13 09:46 PM Re: Current Movies (2013) [Re: Jon]
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Loc: Citrus Heights, CA , US
I saw it just a couple of days ago and found it a joyful thing indeed. I got a kick out of the somewhat gleeful abandonment of all pretense at a consistent time period for the setting (the characters had cell phones but the women wore frumpy Depression-era clothing while speaking late 16th-century English). Some compression was necessary for a modern audience, of course, and I would take issue with only one bit of the editing, in the sequence of the minor matter of Benedick's beard. We're given most of the set-up but not the payoff; it would have been better to delete the sequence altogether (although I probably would have hated that).

I wasn't quite as taken with Fillion's Dogberry as Jon was, because some of the malapropisms were lost in the low-key delivery. I was greatly impressed, however, by Clark Gregg's Leonato. Leonato is a utility role, a character needed to oil the machinery of the plot but not particularly important in himself. Leonato's shock at learning of Hero's alleged infidelity leads him to wish death upon his own daughter, but he quickly comes to his senses and helps work out the solution. Because of the extremity of his first reaction, I've always thought that that transition back to good guy must be a very tricky thing for actors to handle. Gregg managed it beautifully -- good job. Amy Acker and Fran Kranz were outstanding, completely believable in every regard.

Going from the sublime to flirting with the ridiculous, I want to second Austin's recommendation of World War Z. Of all the monsters/creatures/whatever that populate shlock horror movies, I've always thought zombies were the most boring. They walk at a snail's pace with their arms held out from their bodies a little, sometimes making hokey noises and sometimes not. But not these zombies. They're fast and they're crafty and most of all, they're scary. Can you imagine that? A scary movie that actually IS scary. The actors playing the zombies turn in such good performances that I was amazed. The movie has a number of nice little touches in it. One scene takes place in the refrigerated section of a research lab, where Brad Pitt is trying to fool one zombie into not attacking him. You can see Pitt's breath in the cold air...but not the zombie's. smile It's a good thrill ride.

#7160 - 06/29/13 09:46 PM Re: Current Movies (2013) [Re: Barbara]
Kay Offline

Loc: Roanoke, VA , USA
Interesting....WAY back...1958 perhaps...there was a TV daytine series called Matinee Theatre, that presented a lot of stuff, including a production of Much Ado...with Nina Foch as an incredible Beatrice...I had forgotten about it until this discussion came up. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0643532/

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Rita