Topic Options
#7174 - 07/01/13 10:17 AM Watching opera
Pete Offline

Loc: Newport News, Virginia, USA
I happened to see a large part of a Met performance of The Elixir of Love yesterday. Anna Netrebko and a tenor I didn't recognize, but as he came out for bows last, I assume he is well known and thought of.

What is thought of Netrebko?

#7177 - 07/01/13 06:21 PM Re: Watching opera [Re: Pete]
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Loc: Citrus Heights, CA , US
She's a Big Star, Pete. She's opened every season of the simulcasts for the past few years, and she's doing so again this fall, in Eugene Onegin. If the L'Elisir you saw is the same one simulcast last October, then the tenor was Matthew Polenzani. Did he look like this?

#7181 - 07/02/13 11:41 AM Re: Watching opera [Re: Pete]
Pete Offline

Loc: Newport News, Virginia, USA
Yes, it was Polenzani. I enjoyed their singing, but I am always unsure of whether my taste matches the rest of the world's. I have always assumed that the Met tries to present the best it can, of course. Polenzani is more believable as Nemorino than the last, overweight, tenor I saw on TV in the part.

#7223 - 07/10/13 09:55 PM Re: Watching opera [Re: Pete]
Jon Offline

Loc: Newark, Delaware, USA
Polenzani has come up through the ranks at the Met, doing well with the "important secondary" parts and now being given the leading roles like this one. (He's also paired with Netrebko in a Don Pasquale that's out on DVD.) I've seen him in recital and he's superb in that context too.

Netrebko is definitely a big star. In addition to the quality of the voice, she's one of those people with a certain magnetism that makes her interesting to watch.

Moderator:  Jon