Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#733 - 08/20/99 04:35 PM Re: Another new story
Anonymous
Unregistered

Barbara, your comment re =Death on the High C's= got me to thinking.....

I can't remember ever hearing of a tale called "B Flat." (Preferably with the flat symbol that I can't remember how to make in ASCII.)

Seems like that would be a natural* for a musical death by fall-from-great-heights.....

I loved =Under the Canopy= too, btw...what I admired most about it was how perfectly you kept the two main characters (can't think of either one as protagonists, actually) poised in opposition...and refrained from making any moral judgements yourself in the course of the book.

* unintentional pun, I swear it!

#734 - 08/21/99 09:04 AM Re: Another new story
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Loc: Citrus Heights, CA , US
Ah, thank you, Ree. It always pleases me no end to find out someone has enjoyed that book.

B Flat would make a very good title indeed (although I suspect the flat symbol would drive the cataloguers nuts). In fact, it ought to be possible to get a whole series of mystery titles from musical terms -- Passion Music, Quick Step, Unequal Temperament, Imbroglio.

#735 - 08/22/99 08:16 PM Re: Another new story
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello Barbara,

I picked up EQMM primarily because I'm a longtime Ellery Queen fan. So it was also nice to discover a new writer along with the familiar ones. I enjoyed "Reluctant Op" and was also curious if there will be other stories set in this universe.

Julia aka MizP

#736 - 08/23/99 02:46 PM Re: Another new story
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Hello, mizprkr. Sorry you haven't caught Jarod yet.

Yes, there will be more stories with Callie in Port Wolfe, but not immediately. I want to write one in a few months (after I wrap up what I'm working on now); but it won't be published for at least a year after that, probably longer. The publishing industry is not known for its speed.

"The Reluctant Op" is the result of a writing project I was involved in with other writers. We were putting together an anthology of mystery stories similar to the "shared world" anthos in SF; all the stories were to take place in our fictional Port Wolfe. (We even had a street plan of the place.) Each of us had a major character, and there was crossover among the stories; the leading character of one story would have a small part in another, etc. It took one hell of a lot of planning. The woman Callie goes to for help in tracking down the registry of the Sofia was one of the other writers' major character; the man on night duty at the Bass Agency that Callie reports to was another.

But we couldn't sell the anthology. The editors we submitted the ms. to liked the concept, but the sales departments, in every case, said no -- for whatever reason was fashionable that month. Very few editors can make autonomous decisions any more; it's the sales people who decide what gets published and what doesn't.

So in the end we just agreed to try to sell our stories individually. And that's why "The Reluctant Op" appeared in Ellery Queen.

Jon, I completely missed your upstream question about the writing project; I hope this answers it.

[This message has been edited by Barbara (edited 08-23-99).]

#737 - 08/23/99 04:18 PM Re: Another new story
Ree Offline

Loc: Howell, MI, USA
I love shared-world universes (have never seen one in anything but SF&F genre, tho); can you tell us anything about the other writers involved, or the initial stories?

#738 - 08/26/99 01:39 PM Re: Another new story
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Sorry not to have responded sooner, but I've been kind of out of things. I had to have a much-loved cat put to sleep. His name was Daniel, and I'm having difficulty saying goodbye.

About the Port Wolfe project. We worked on it on and off for a couple of years, and during that time the participants changed a little -- a few drop-outs, a few drop-ins. But at some time or another, the following all contributed to the project: Peter Torville, Katie Daniel, Toni Kelner, J. R. Redmann, Peter Heck, Bruce Rogers, Tony Fennelly, and moi. It all started when some of us were talking on Genie and wondering why the shared-world concept so popular in SF and fantasy had never been tried in the mystery field. So we decided to do it ourselves.

It's still a good idea, I think. But the project is dead as a doornail.

#739 - 08/26/99 02:22 PM Re: Another new story
Ree Offline

Loc: Howell, MI, USA
Saying goodbye is never easy. I'm very sorry to hear about Daniel.

The book concept was a wonderful idea, could have been a lot of fun, and I wish it had worked out.

Idiot marketers.

[This message has been edited by Ree (edited 08-26-99).]

#740 - 08/26/99 04:13 PM Re: Another new story
David Dvorkin Online

Loc: Denver, Colorado, USA
I'm very sorry to hear about Daniel.

#741 - 08/27/99 08:22 AM Re: Another new story
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Ree and David -- thank you.

#742 - 08/27/99 08:38 AM Re: Another new story
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm so sorry to hear about Daniel. He was the cat that Hugo in "Scat" was based on, right?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Barbara