Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#7692 - 12/14/13 11:10 PM Re: Opera 7 [Re: Barbara]
Kay Offline

Loc: Roanoke, VA , USA
I didn't hate it...but I saw Terfel do it live in London a few years ago and so I was making unfavorable comparisons... and I agree that the "updating" was not an improvement (as, alas, it seldom is IMHO...I didn't like the Vegas Rigoletto either). The Quickly, Meg and Alice were good, I thought, but Nannetta and Fenton a bit disappointing. Ford has a thankless role and didn't really do much to improve it.

#7693 - 12/15/13 12:52 PM Re: Opera 7 [Re: Kay]
Rita Offline

Loc: St. Paul, MN
There certainly were a lot of wide people in this production. Another thumbs down on the 50s setting, and it seemed to me the singers had to work too hard for their laughs. The singing was great, but I'm not sure that I heard great music. I'd need to hear it again, and probably again after that. I'm sitting on the fence on this one.

#7695 - 12/15/13 02:16 PM Re: Opera 7 [Re: Rita]
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Loc: Citrus Heights, CA , US
I thought Maestri was a wonderful Falstaff -- great voice, beautiful singer. The sets...bleaghh. The singers were indeed having fun; it's a feel-good opera, culminating in the reconciliation ensemble that can be the only proper ending. I just wish there was one tune in that opera that I could remember.

#7696 - 12/16/13 05:58 PM Re: Opera 7 [Re: Barbara]
Christopher Offline

That was my main problem. I read somewhere once that while Verdi was working on Il Trovatore, he said (or wrote) that he wanted every organ grinder in Italy to be playing a tune from Trovatore. His pop opera, I guess. But obviously that was not what he had in mind for Falstaff...I can't remember a single melody. Why people consider this opera superior to Rigoletto or Traviata or even Aida beats me.

#7697 - 12/16/13 11:24 PM Re: Opera 7 [Re: Barbara]
Jon Offline

Loc: Newark, Delaware, USA
I guess I understand the "can't remember a tune" complaint about Falstaff -- it's not that there aren't any, but rather that there are dozens, hundreds... but each lasts only a few measures, to be succeeded by another. Even the arias have a succession of melodic ideas. So nothing gets "plugged" in a way that assures we'll remember it. Repeated experience of the work helps with memorability, but not everyone will care to give it that.

I don't call it superior to those earlier masterpieces, but for me it's their equal; perfection, of a kind. It took me a much longer time to get the hang of Aida.

#7699 - 12/17/13 12:12 PM Re: Opera 7 [Re: Barbara]
Pete Offline

Loc: Newport News, Virginia, USA
I thought that the idea of an aria was for the orchestra to play it through once, then for the soloist to sing it twice?

#7703 - 12/17/13 05:23 PM Re: Opera 7 [Re: Pete]
Austin
Unregistered

I don't know whether to be sorry I missed it or not.

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  Jon