Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#7864 - 02/06/14 07:56 PM Re: Opera 8 [Re: Rita]
Kay Offline

Loc: Roanoke, VA , USA
I am hoping to go...there is always the possibility of ice or snow, although right now it is not in the forecast...

#7871 - 02/08/14 08:30 PM Re: Opera 8 [Re: Rita]
Kay Offline

So? I took a friend who wanted to leave after the second act, so I ran her home and went back...it is...uh...interesting and has of course become Fleming's signature role, but I don't think it will ever wind up on my list of all time hits.

#7872 - 02/08/14 09:28 PM Re: Opera 8 [Re: Rita]
Kay Offline

The opera itself is mostly a bore, IMHO. The unfortunate tenor (whose name escapes me) would have fared better if he had died in the first act instead of the last...I liked the Swamp Witch and the Water Sprite (not familiar with either of the artists before)...and the production was interesting, but frankly, Dvorak should have stuck to symphonic works.

#7875 - 02/09/14 04:42 PM Re: Opera 8 [Re: Kay]
Christopher Offline

Would it be sacrilege to suggest Renée Fleming is past her prime? And I agree with Kay...the opera was a bore.

#7876 - 02/09/14 06:26 PM Re: Opera 8 [Re: Rita]
Jon Offline

Loc: Newark, Delaware, USA
I wasn't able to see the opera, and of course the opera has never been a repertory item -- it's mostly Fleming (and before her the Slovak soprano Benackova) who have gained it a little foothold in the last couple of decades.

But the music is continuously beautiful (as generally with Dvorak), the story of the soulless nature spirit who wants to become human is one of the central European myths, and I'm always glad of a chance to see it. (The chance doesn't come along that often.)

Yes, Fleming is probably past the peak. That still leaves her in good shape.

#7877 - 02/09/14 07:29 PM Re: Opera 8 [Re: Jon]
Rita Offline

Loc: St. Paul, MN
Continuously beautiful? Well, I'd go along with "continuously pleasant", but that's all. The production was quite appealing visually. Both sets had a fairy tale quality without being cutesy.

Kay, the tenor was Piotr Beczala. If you mean the character, The Prince doesn't have a name. He doesn't deserve one, the pig. The story is pretty hard to take.

Something puzzles me. If Rusalka couldn't walk on dry land until Jezibaba did her witchy thing, then how did she get up in that tree where she made her first appearance?

#7879 - 02/10/14 12:18 AM Re: Opera 8 [Re: Rita]
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Loc: Citrus Heights, CA , US
Ha! Good point. I've never cared for the Ondine stories myself; they always struck me as somehow unwholesome. Prince Pig didn't help matters any.

Did you notice that Rusalka starts out the same way Das Rheingold does? Three otherworldly females tease and flirt with an ugly otherworldly male, whose grasp they manage to evade. Dvorak must have admired more of Wagner than just his music.

Jezibaba was sung by Dolora Zajick, who virtually stole the show as Azucena a season or two ago.

#7982 - 02/27/14 06:02 PM Re: Opera 8 [Re: Barbara]
Lorna Offline

Loc: Dayton, Ohio
Prince Igor this coming Saturday. I'm going.

#7984 - 02/27/14 06:26 PM Re: Opera 8 [Re: Rita]
Kay Offline

I'll have to miss that one...out of town company and not the ones who might appreciate Russian opera.

#7988 - 02/28/14 06:17 PM Re: Opera 8 [Re: Kay]
Austin
Unregistered

I don't do very well with Russian opera. I know Andrew likes it, and I usually like it for a little while and then I just want to go home. This opera might be different, and I'll probably never get another chance to see it, but I'm still hanging back. My wife tells me she's going, with me or without me.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Jon